PDA

View Full Version : Blind Battle

Scotch78
06-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I hadn't been playing many hands, and was winning at least half of them before showdown. Nobody had really looked me up though, so not sure if anyone noticed. The BB is fairly loose, and pretty aggressive postflop (AF 2+). I felt pretty sure that I've got too much hand to fold heads-up and not enough to go to war anywhere, but I've been getting burned in these situations enough that I want some second opinions. Having two paint cards on board could easily scare most people from betting the turn with anything I beat, so I thought about folding then, but kept going because this guy seemed pretty damn aggressive so far.

Also, the UTG/CO player seemed like another LAG, and the two of them had gone to war several times, with the BB winning more than his share and the UTG/CO berating him.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Scott

RunDownHouse
06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Ugh, I don't see what you could be ahead of on the turn... unless he's just firing again hoping you'll fold. So if there's a good enough chance of that, then I guess you have to call the river as well. But its ugly.

What about donking the turn?

mperich
06-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Its a blind battle. Hes ahead of tons. The king isnt great on the turn but theres no way this hand can be folded. I like your line scotch looks perfect.

-Mike

k_squared
06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
there are lots of hands he could be ahead of... the fact of the matter is that when you are playing in the blinds it is hard to put people on hands.

I will often aggressively challenge the small blind when they play at my big blind. The raise after the flop is a standard heads up play to try to steal a pot. The raise from the BB then gives you a better sense of where the SB stands. Once they back off you logically continue your aggression on the turn in a steal attempt. Which leaves you facing the river and a decision to check-behind someone who hasn't been pushed out if you haven't imporved to a decent hand saving yourself a bet on the end.

blind play is tricky because the range of possible hands is so much larger, as is the willingness of opponents to try to run over each other because the chance that you are facing a bluff is higher.

-k_squared

spydog
06-09-2005, 06:18 PM
HU against an aggressive player, I'm 3-betting this flop. You have MPTK and I think BB 3-bets 77+ preflop so you are really only behind a naked Jack. Your hand is still vulnerable to overcards to your 6s and 3-betting the flop and leading the turn can fold those overcards but still get a call down from a weaker 6 that is drawing thin.

RunDownHouse
06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I acknowledged the fact that the villian may be on a pure bluff. Since I don't play 5/10, I'm not sure how high that likelihood is.

So now that we all understand each other, thoughts on donking the turn?

mperich
06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
I would be more inclined to 3bet and continue to lead with MPTK if the board was something more like QT8 or something. As it is, the odds of him having bottom or mid pair are not as high as usual. Of course it's still possible, but I like calling down better on this particular board.

-Mike

Scotch78
06-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Let's assume that I 3-bet the flop. On the turn I bet out and he raises, what's your play from there on out?

Scott

BusterStacks
06-09-2005, 11:38 PM
into the muck....

Trix
06-10-2005, 02:25 AM
When you get 8:1 plus implied odds on a 8:1 draw, what do you put him on that makes your outs no good ?

Also, sometimes he will be raising for a freeshowdown/bluff and will let you win on the river.

If you call turn, then you may actually have to call the river aswell getting 10:1.

wheelz
06-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Posting blind but I play it the same, from the number of responses so far though I'm assuming not everyone else does...

spydog
06-10-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's assume that I 3-bet the flop. On the turn I bet out and he raises, what's your play from there on out?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 3-bet on the flop establishes that you really like your hand, so his turn raise becomes more legit. I probably call the turn and check-fold the river unimproved. I can't see him raising the turn as a (semi)bluff and following through on the river after you've showed so much aggression. I think he will check behind on the river with a bluff/semi bluff because of the drawless nature of this flop. He has to believe that his turn raise was the last chance to get you to fold and that another bet on the river is -1 BB EV for him.