PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket for 75 in a 65???

pshreck
06-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Got a speeding ticket on my way down to Foxwoods the other night, route 2 east in CT. I was in the right lane, going roughly 73-75 (speed I usually go), and see cop lights go on behind me. I assume I have a tail light out or something, then he proceeds to say I was going 75....

I honestly never realized that people got pulled over for going 75 in a 65, considering the average speed on route 2 is 80-85, I was dumbfounded.

It was a 203$ ticket by the way. Thanks government.

theghost
06-09-2005, 03:37 PM
[censored] that man, you definitely should have been ok

wh1t3bread
06-09-2005, 03:38 PM
What time did you get pulled over?

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Yes. Sounds like a quota system at work. You can usually get away w/ 10-15 mph over.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What time did you get pulled over?

[/ QUOTE ]

10:30

The really funny part is I was being passed like crazy for the first 20 minutes of the ride. 75 is far below the pace of traffic. Any of you who travel route 2 from hartford on your way to Foxwoods would know what Im talking about.

swede123
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Getting a ticket for ten miles over or less is pretty much a dick move, unless it's a school zone or something.

That being said if you ever travel on I-70 in Kansas, WATCH OUT! Those fuckers will write tickets for out-of-staters going five miles over. No wonder the Interstates in Kansas are immaculate.

Swede

wh1t3bread
06-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah that sucks. You are usually okay with 10 over almost everywhere.

I thought if it was really late and there were only a few cars on the road then getting pulled over for 10 over probably wouldn't be out of the ordinary (cop is bored, suspected DUI, etc).

M2d
06-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I got a ticket for 60 in a 55. two months later, the speed limit on that same stretch of highway was bumped up to 65.

NiceCatch
06-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Stop breaking the law, and be glad you weren't tased.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop breaking the law, and be glad you weren't tased.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... I have to admit that video kept running through my mind during the whole ordeal.

stankybank
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
get a radar.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get a radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

jailtime for being caught with one of these in the state of CT.

No thanks.

swede123
06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Being able to detect the speed of oncoming vehicles wouldn't do him a whole lot of good...

Swede

NiceCatch
06-09-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get a radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that he can... detect incoming aircraft?

RunDownHouse
06-09-2005, 03:51 PM
How about one for 5 over? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Number=2552497)

deacsoft
06-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I now drive no more than 5mph over the speed limit (after losing my license and later getting it back). I never have problems anymore.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I now drive no more than 5mph over the speed limit (after losing my license and later getting it back). I never have problems anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... but I couldnt imagine traveling 55-60mph on the highway. 75 feels slow but I deal with that.

Dead
06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get a radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

jailtime for being caught with one of these in the state of CT.

No thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, bud.

Connecticut's anti-radar-detector law was repealed in 1998, and all the signs along the highways were taken down. RDs are now legal in Connecticut. Google it.

ct rd law (http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/laws/radar/ct.html)

I have one of those jammers in my car, btw. It tells the pig that I'm going 318 mph or 17 mph.

wh1t3bread
06-09-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It tells the pig

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no respect for authority. Do you know any police officers? Do us all a favor and next time you see one call him "a pig".

Bulldog
06-09-2005, 04:02 PM
When I lived in Arizona, you could get a ticket wiped off your record if you hadn't had one in two years, and you went to driving school. The school cost almost as much as the ticket, but no record, so no bump from insurance. In my class were two people who got ticketed in 15-mph school zones, one for going 18 and one for going 16.

asofel
06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It tells the pig

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no respect for authority. Do you know any police officers? Do us all a favor and next time you see one call him "a pig".

[/ QUOTE ]

My uncle and father are both cops, and funny enough, my dad could probably get that ticket thrown out. Unfortunately we don't talk much, so sorry pshreck. oh, and [censored] dead.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no respect for authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know any police officers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Do us all a favor and next time you see one call him "a pig".

[/ QUOTE ]

No thanks. And that doesn't make me a pussy either. Most cops are above the law and I wouldn't be able to touch the pricks. I could call him that but then he would probably find some bullshit charge to arrest me on.

Plus, check this ruling out:

HELENA, Montana (AP) --Cursing at someone is a crime if the obscenities can be considered "fighting words," and it doesn't matter that the remarks are directed at a police officer who's been trained to keep his cool, the Montana Supreme Court said.

In October 2000, Malachi Robinson swore loudly at Missoula County Deputy David McGinnis, who was parked in his squad car, calling him a "(expletive) pig," according to court documents.

McGinnis got out and confronted Robinson, asking him "if there was anything he wanted to talk about." Robinson swore again at McGinnis, who arrested him. Robinson was convicted of disorderly conduct and fined $50."

So, as you see, we don't have freedom of speech when talking to cops. And that's lame.

But this thread is getting off topic. The topic is Pshreck getting a bullshit speeding ticket.

He was mistaken about radar detectors being illegal in CT. They are not, in fact, illegal, so I was informing him of that fact.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no respect for authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when I agree with dead.

utmt40
06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I've been pulled over for doing 76 in a 70??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been pulled over for doing 76 in a 70??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been pulled over for not using a turn signal, not wearing a seat belt, and using a cell phone while driving. NY laws are fascist. The only one they had a legitimate beef with was not using the turn signal, because I should be using it. But the other two were bullshit.

I also own this hoodie, which I wear some days in the winter:

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/9/23458799_F_tn.jpg

pshreck
06-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I guess I was thinking of one of the other states in the NE and some stories I heard about a few kids getting community service/ huge fines for having RDs in their car.

Now that I think of it, the stories may have referred to before 1998, but maybe I was thinking of NJ or mass, I travel in those states often.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
The only two "states" in this country that have bans on non-commercial vehicles using radar/laser detectors are Washington, DC, and Virginia. If your vehicle is non-commercial and weighs under 10,000 pounds, then you can use it in every other place.

You should seriously get one. I haven't had a ticket since. Make sure the one you get is not just a detector but a jammer as well. A good one should cost you about $200 but it is well worth it. I see the pigs coming within a 2 mile range.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only two "states" in this country that have bans on non-commercial vehicles using radar/laser detectors are Washington, DC, and Virginia. If your vehicle is non-commercial and weighs under 10,000 pounds, then you can use it in every other place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless laws have very recently changed in every state, this is not true.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Interesting.

These things are not sold in stores though, right? I have to order it?

AustinDoug
06-09-2005, 04:24 PM
You mean the jammers actually work? I thought that was a bunch of crap. What model do you use?

Edge34
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've been pulled over for[...]not wearing a seat belt

[/ QUOTE ]

I think going through your windshield because you're jamming radar and not wearing a seat belt would teach you a good lesson.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean the jammers actually work? I thought that was a bunch of crap. What model do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

They do work.

RMR C450 Radar & Laser Jammer is the one I am currently using.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

These things are not sold in stores though, right? I have to order it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have never seen this model sold in stores. I have the flagship model(retails for $300) but there are cheaper ones.

Google the model # I listed above and you will find lots of info and reviews about it.

The jammer actually grabs the signals from the radar/laser gun and scrambles them, making it impossible for the cop to get an accurate reading on your car. But this thing also alerts you when they are within reading distance of you, so you can start slowing down and avoid a ticket.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They work. I had one for a long time before it was stolen.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think going through your windshield because you're jamming radar and not wearing a seat belt would teach you a good lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing illegal about jamming radar and a law forcing an adult to wear a seat belt is a fascist law. That happened to me 3 years ago and I do wear a seat belt 100% of the time now. I now realize that not wearing a seat belt is stupid, but if an adult doesn't want to wear it, they shouldn't have to.

RunDownHouse
06-09-2005, 04:30 PM
EDIT: And put me down with Jake and Dead on the whole seatbelt law thing. Same goes for helmet laws on bikes.

EDIT 2: Sorry, Dead, didn't see your link and was responding to pshrek before his edit.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but it should be Dead's right to die by going through his windshield if he wants.

edit: When they first started these seatbelt laws, I didn't wear mine for awhile in protest. But, yea, that's pretty stupid.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
I already posted a sublink of that above, rundownhouse.

bernie
06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Fight it.

I got out of a ticket where I was 22mph over the limit.

b

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
That is a solution for THIS ticket, maybe, but a better solution is to get something so that you will never get a speeding ticket ever again. That's where the jammer comes in.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fight it.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

But say what? I am against fighting things that are the truth. I would feel like an ass going in there and looking at the judge and say I wasnt going 75.

DrPublo
06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got a ticket for 60 in a 55. two months later, the speed limit on that same stretch of highway was bumped up to 65.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

The Doc

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This only applies to "detectors" not "jammers" which ARE illegal many places.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This only applies to "detectors" not "jammers" which ARE illegal many places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, upon further Googling, I see that you are correct.

Here are the places where detectors AND jammers are illegal:

Washington, DC
Virginia.

Here are the places where just JAMMERs are illegal:
California
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Minnesota

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Either way, jammers still appear to be legal in both New York and Connecticut.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are federal statutes that make radar jammers illegal in all 50 states. California, Minnesota, and Utah specifically ban radar and laser jammers, and it's possible that laser jammers may become outlawed soon in other states as well. Long-haul professionals get no break at all: Since February 1995, radar detectors have been banned in 18-wheel commercial vehicles in all 50 states.

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky (http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0402_rad/index2.html)

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Federal statutes? If that was true the no sites would be selling them. I don't believe it.

I do know that some states ban them but I have never heard of any federal laws banning radar detectors EXCEPT in the case of commercial vehicles. Federal law DOES ban all use of detectors/jammers in commercial vehicles, but in non-commercial vehicles like my A4, I am allowed to use any jammer that I want, per NY law.

Passenger vehicles under 10 thousand pounds are still allowed to use jammers in the vast majority of states.

ChoicestHops
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Are you sure a jammer is safe? What happens when a cop clocks you and he doesnt get a signal?

pshreck
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happens when a cop clocks you and he doesnt get a signal?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a stripper cock blocks me she doesnt get a single.

RunDownHouse
06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
See? Now THIS is what the War of Northern Aggression was all about. Those damn Federals telling states what to do.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happens when a cop clocks you and he doesnt get a signal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most cops are too stupid to figure it out. It's perfectly normal to lose the signal wave from time to time. By the time he figures it out and gets the line on you again, you've slowed down to a reasonable speed.

Dead
06-09-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
See? Now THIS is what the War of Northern Aggression was all about. Those damn Federals telling states what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiight. Except that the "Federals" are in Washington and telling all states what to do with regard to commercial vehicles. I'm guessing those laws have something to do with the interstates.

ChoicestHops
06-09-2005, 04:54 PM
I might have to check it out when I get my license back. Ive always wanted to get a detector such as a Valentine.

To answer the topic at hand, my friend was pulled over in Texas going 70 in a 60 and I also got nailed for a MIP with it.

bernie
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fight it.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

But say what? I am against fighting things that are the truth. I would feel like an ass going in there and looking at the judge and say I wasnt going 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you don't have to say anything. A motion of 'discovery' is a wonderful thing.

btw...Have you asked your ins. company how much your insurance will go up 'if' you had a ticket on it? Figure that (3 yrs worth of it) into the total cost of the ticket. Weigh that against the cost of a lawyer. You might be suprised. I never even met my lawyer or had to show up in court.

You can also get a deferred sentence if this is your only violation. That means they suspend it from your record unless you get another violation in a year. If you're clean, they take it off.

Welcome to the 'game' of speeding tickets.

b

Slacker13
06-09-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ever travel on I-70 in Kansas, WATCH OUT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wisconsin is the same way. They will write you up for 5 miles over. Mainly because they have nothing else to do there. Now living in South Florida anything below 90 is fine. I was actually on my way to a meeting, long drive so I had to leave at 5 am, I am do around 90 when a State Patrol roles up along side of me and yells on his loud speaker "Slow it down" as he is passing me.

tbach24
06-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Is this the Hartford to NYC highway? If you aren't travelling at 85 on that it is dangerous.

pshreck
06-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Nah, its essentially a Hartford to Mohegan Sun/Foxwoods highway.

youtalkfunny
06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fight it.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Run a search for my post about my speeding ticket trial.

I beat it. I never once denied that I was speeding.

mostsmooth
06-09-2005, 09:04 PM
i set my cruise control on 74 when im on a 65.

The Stranger
06-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Most highway speeding tickets in urban areas have nothing to do with radar. If there is a lot of traffic, is the patrolman going to stake out the ditch with his Crown Vic, reading all the cars, drive out of the ditch and pass like ten cars to pull you over?

In CA, they are only allowed to use radar on the highways and freeways if the speed limit sign says, "radar enforced."

So most of the speeding tickets are from the pacing method. And if you're going too fast for them to pace you, they'll usually write up 95, because they'll get up to 95 and see you pulling, keep a tail on you and radio for extra cars if you don't pull over when he flips on the lights. Of course its a different story with the new CHP Camaros.

My friend was pulled over going 145 in a 'Vette, drunk. They had to write it at 95, plus the DUI.

My advice for if you live in Cali, or somewhere with similar laws, is to not go much faster than the flow of traffic. And there is too much traffic to check your mirrors for patrollmen on your 6, just go 65 (or whatever the posted limit is).

billyjex
06-10-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It tells the pig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have 6 speeding tickets and i'm 23.

so [censored] all those [censored] pigs. fucker.

pshreck
06-10-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Around 2 per year isnt that many...

Dead
06-10-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It tells the pig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. [censored] the stupid piggahs. I don't care what happens to them. I didn't feel bad when one of the local ones got killed in a car accident. I thought, "Well he had it coming".

2+2 wannabe
06-10-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It tells the pig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. [censored] the stupid piggahs. I don't care what happens to them. I didn't feel bad when one of the local ones got killed in a car accident. I thought, "Well he had it coming".

[/ QUOTE ]

you're a douchebag

PoBoy321
06-10-2005, 01:36 AM
I think he was being sarcastic, but still, breaking traffic laws won't kill you, but breaking the laws of physics will.

Edge34
06-10-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It tells the pig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope Dynasty changes his mind about not banning you.

somethingstupid
06-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Cause you're young and you're black and your hat's real low?