PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Sevens in a larg(ish) Pot

redbaronat
06-09-2005, 03:15 PM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero....

Now what?

Is this pot big enough for a "Loose" Call?
Did I mess up earlier?
Input appreciated.

Red

topspin
06-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Check your pot odds. Fold the flop. Fold the turn.

jrz1972
06-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Calling the flop is bad. Calling the turn would be slightly worse. You would need to make up 14 BB somewhere along the line if you hit a set for the implied odds to justify a call.

redbaronat
06-09-2005, 03:44 PM
So I guess this hand goes into the category of...

Weak made hand in a small pot with too many ways to lose

then.

Well, The truth hurts but self deception is worse.

Thanks very much,

Red

Jaran
06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Why the heck did you call the flop? Since you did, def fold the turn.

-Jaran

Spaderess
06-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I can't think of a reason to call that turn. Especially since I'd folded on the turn. If only one of those eight people hit anything on the flop, you're drawing very thin.

MarkL444
06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
easiest flop fold ever. there are far too many opponents for you to be ahead here. plenty of people could raise you on the flop. odds arent even close to trying to catch a 7.

playersare
06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
if you were in late position and everyone called one flop bet, then it wouldn't be THAT terrible to take 15-1 pot odds on a 23.5-1 shot, since either of the remaining 7's on that board would give you close to the absolute best possible hand against that many players. but since you're UTG (with only 9-1 in play at that moment) and anyone could raise or even reraise the flop after your call, there's no point in staying in against all overcards, two of which are guaranteed to be held by multiple opponents.

at the turn your pot odds go down to 7-1, plus there are now backdoor straight and flush draws looming. abandon ship.

redbaronat
06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I understand what your talking about.

This was just a question in my mind about what constitutes a
"Large" pot and what constitutes an allowable loose call.

Obviously not in this case.

milesdyson
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Change your play in large pots where your hand needs protection and figures to be good some percentage of the time. Don't change your play in a pot where your hand has almost no chance to be the best hand and also has almost no chance to improve to the best hand.

Think of your hand as simply a 2-out draw, because you're almost surely beaten when he leads the flop. If you have (or think you will) odds to call, you call, but you don't have odds to call, so you fold.