PDA

View Full Version : Turn trips against "slowplayer"

og5
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Villian is 16/9/0 after about only 20 hands. The last orbit he coldcalled from the SB with AA and checkraised the turn, I paid off with TPMK. (I guess the stats didn't update yet) I get the button again and this one comes up. I can't put this guy on a hand becuase he doesn't rereaise anything, how is my line and what should I be thinking when he C/Rs the turn again?

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (2 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB 3bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

sinfulslick18
06-09-2005, 01:50 PM
i would prolly play it the same. Or maybe with a cap on the turn and just a call if he raises me on the river.

-sinful

StellarWind
06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Don't overthink this. AA is a special hand for many players. It would be a mistake to believe you know much about him beyond tight and generally passive. Actually this type of AA play is common among tight-passive players. It doesn't mean they reraise zero hands. They just like to trap with AA/KK.

You have trips and that's worth a counter raise at some point but probably not two raises against this type of player.

Sounds like this raise is legit so he's probably in too deep to get away from his hand if you 3-bet the turn. Waiting until the river would allow you to avoid raising if the queen pairs. If you really want to be careful you could also just call down when the river wipes your kicker. But I sort of doubt he has a worse eight so that is unlikely to matter and I wouldn't let it stop me from raising.

The big risk of waiting until the river is he will checkcall any card he finds scary. E.g. if he has QJ you will lose a bet when an A or K comes.

Overall I would reraise the turn.

MEbenhoe
06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
3 bet the turn and see if he caps or calls. I'd cap the river here too. You're playing 3 handed against a player who likes to get fancy with his hands. On the turn, he could be on virtually any Q, a flush draw, a worse 8, AA, KK, JJ. The only hands you really have to worry about being behind on the turn are QQ, a better 8 or 22. It's much more likely you're ahead here and thus this play seems a little weak.

StellarWind
06-09-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're playing 3 handed against a player who likes to get fancy with his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
This player is 16/9/0 over 20 hands (stats don't include the last orbit). Literally the only aggressive moves we have seen postflop is him checkraising the turn with AA and then betting the river.

If you get capped on the turn he probably beats AA and your position is desperate because then you don't beat anything he could actually have preflop except maybe 98s/87s. Even then the chop is looming. But probably a turn cap means QQ, 22, or a big 8.

og5
06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes he showed QQ /images/graemlins/mad.gif when someonw this tight passive 3bets they have a strong hand, even 3 handed

StellarWind
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes he showed QQ /images/graemlins/mad.gif when someonw this tight passive 3bets they have a strong hand, even 3 handed

[/ QUOTE ]
It hurts I know.

But realize you got off cheap by losing 6.5 BB. Against a normal player who 3-bet preflop and started leading streets I don't see how you can possibly get off for less than 7 BB (e.g. 3-bet, bet-call, cap, bet-call) and it could easily be worse (3-bet, bet-call, 3-bet and smoothcall, 3-bet for 8 BB; or 3-bet, bet-raise-smoothcall, checkraised and capped, bet-call for 7.5 BB).

No doubt he congratulated himself afterward, but certainly the result of his style and chosen line was a disaster for this hand.