PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Sevens

bobbyi
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Opponent's stats look something like 30/5/2. When he calls on the flop, what would be your plan on the turn? I like betting to avoid giving a free card to a draw and because some people will peel a card on the flop and then give up on the turn. But betting and getting called on the turn makes the river akward because I really don't like check-calling and having paid off so much with a flopped underpair, but I'm also not going to bet and bet and then check-fold and let him bluff me out with busted diamonds.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

I Play 2 Ski
06-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I hate playing underpairs with an A on the board. I probably fold this river.

sinfulslick18
06-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I believe for this hand with two other players in you will have to protect the sevens the whole time..hard to say what to do.. depending on the player you are up against i might check the turn and if he bets i would fold.

-sinful

xLukex
06-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm going to agree with check/folding on the turn.

I don't know how this works in SH, but I would assume he would raise the flop with 2 diamonds in hopes of either having you fold or getting a free card on the turn. At least, that's what I would do if I had diamonds.

New to SH--please let me know how this sounds.

bobbyi
06-09-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how this works in SH, but I would assume he would raise the flop with 2 diamonds in hopes of either having you fold or getting a free card on the turn. At least, that's what I would do if I had diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a higher limit SH game this might be true, but this is still low stakes and most people are too passive (e.g., I see tons of people with pfr's of about 2). You say that you would expect diamonds to raise so I'm probably behind. But wouldn't you also expect an ace or a ten to raise the flop with someone still to act behind? Or at least pop the turn?

Also, note that diamonds are not the only thing draw I'm worried about. QJ/KQ/KJ all have ten outs against me and might fold the turn fearing that I have an ace leaving him with only a gutshot. I can definitely see someone cold calling with that sort of hand and then peeling a card on the flop and folding the turn and I hate to give a free card to one of those (or to check-fold the turn or river against something like unimproved QJ). But I may have to deal with it because I don't think the way I played the hand was optimal. But I'm not sure. I hate being out of position and I play badly when I don't have position.

7ontheline
06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I think it's fine. What are you going to do, fold everytime there are any overcards to your pair? Granted, the ace is bad news, but I agree with your thinking up to the river and then your getting 7-1 to either catch a bluff or a lower pair. The way this guy played it, it looks kinda like either an ace with bad kicker or another PP, but you could still be good. I think if you make it to the river, you have to call.

Jonny Melon
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I play this the same way. River is the toughest spot. I think there is a fine line between check-calling and check-folding as your opponent will usually turn up Ax or a pair of tens here. But the flop and turn was draw-heavy enough that I think a river call is marginally +EV. If the river was not a total brick (say a K, or a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif), I think a check-fold is in order.

Jon