PDA

View Full Version : My NYC diet plan

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
andyfox is worried about my cholesterol. I've been wanting to eat healthier in NYC. So today I'm kicking off my NYC diet plan. Here's the plan (weekday).

Breakfast (depending on how hungry I am)

Muffin and coffee
or
Croissant and coffee
or
Bacon/sausage & egg bagel/croissant/roll and coffee

Lunch

Sushi (sashimi lunch box or two rolls - prob salmon/avocado & spicy tuna)
or
Yogurt/granola/fruit + fruit salad
or
Grilled chicken salad

Dinner

6in subway sub (prob BMT)
or
sushi (similar to lunch choices)
or
10 pints of beer

I'm also on a plan where I need to put in one workout for each two alcoholic beverages consumed.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also on a plan where I need to put in one workout for each two alcoholic beverages consumed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the most idiotic thing ever unless you are giving up drinking.

Also, remove the 500 calorie muffin from the equation and get a 12 inch sub.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This plan is in trial stage right now. There has been some discussion of upping the number to three.

tbach24
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Subway? I hate Subway? Why would you go there when you have a bunch of great resturants at your disposal?

Sponger15SB
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
So wait, did you move to NYC?

I thought you were just visiting or something, why does it seem like you've been there for the past month?

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This plan is in trial stage right now. There has been some discussion of upping the number to three.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that would be the second most idiotic thing ever.

Sponger15SB
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Subway? I hate Subway? Why would you go there when you have a bunch of great resturants at your disposal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he go to subway when neither he nor indiematty mentioned it in their posts?

edit - oops. subway is fine, but there are tons of better places to eat.

Ulysses
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe four.

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he go to subway when neither he nor indiematty mentioned it in their posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Subway is healthy, quick, and readily available in NYC (there's a subway every 2 blocks) as well as cost efficient. It also satisfies your crappy food craving at the same time.

Yes, local delis are better, as is Quiznos. But Subway fit's ever convenience mentioned.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So wait, did you move to NYC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am splitting my time between SF and NYC for at least a couple of months.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe four.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am not mistaken, you had a half a bottle of wine. four beers, a scotch, and say 2-4 drinks at Deweys. let's round it to 10. thats. 2.5 workouts. As long as you are only drinking two times a week (light like that) and are working out four-five times a week.

Then yes, four would be a good ratio. Two is categorically absurd unless you plan on going straight edge in the next day or so.

Bluffoon
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
andyfox is worried about my cholesterol. I've been wanting to eat healthier in NYC. So today I'm kicking off my NYC diet plan. Here's the plan (weekday).

Muffin and coffee
or
Croissant and coffee
or

Lunch

or
or
Grilled chicken salad

Dinner

or
or
10 pints of beer

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing in the world like NYC bacon egg and cheese bagel. So if I cant resist the bagel I skip dinner and snack on some fruit and nuts instead.

If I am planning on eating dinner I will get a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. It's filling and a healthy way to start your day.

I don't drink but I havent been working out lately either so I guess that cancels things out some but i still try to rollerblade a few times a week now that the weather is nice. Its fun and good exercise, kind of a in between walking and jogging, low impact and I meet a surprising number of women.

CallMeIshmael
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate Subway?

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Im pretty sure that isnt a question. And if it were, only you know the answer.

B) When you get to college, you will realize how brilliant subway really is. (especially if you care about eating non fattening foods)

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Bluff; mix it up with an Everything Bagel/egg/sausage and swiss. Friggin heaven.

M2d
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
where does a pastrami sandwich from Katz's fit in?

Bluffoon
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bluff; mix it up with an Everything Bagel/egg/sausage and swiss. Friggin heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any other kind of bagel?

Will try the sausage and swiss thanks for the heads up!

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
andyfox is worried about my cholesterol.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you doing this for andyfox? Or because you're getting soggy around the middle?

http://www.seabass7.com/img/ImageUploads/kendobedtimeWEB.jpg

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:34 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Once a year or so, I might get a toasted sesame. That's if I'm feeling lame or something that day.

P.S. I got the suggestion from someone on here. It's amazing.

turnipmonster
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree that if you're going to eat junk you should do it at breakfast, but bacon croissants or whatever are just horrible for you. go for egg on a roll with some cholula.

--turnipmonster

samjjones
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
For the NYC locals...where are some good, quick, and cheap lunch places around 59th and Lex?

turnipmonster
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
my personal favorite is everything + egg + cheese. swiss is nasty, though.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't a swiss person, you aren't a swiss person. I've got a great breakfast place up by me, and I'm gonna start experimenting with their other cheeses (monteray jack, havarti).

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where does a pastrami sandwich from Katz's fit in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weekend.

samjjones
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't a swiss person, you aren't a swiss person. I've got a great breakfast place up by me, and I'm gonna start experimenting with their other cheeses (monteray jack, havarti).

[/ QUOTE ]
Monterey and havarti are both great melting cheeses, and somewhat mild. They would probably compliment the spiciness of a good breakfast sausage quite well.

Ulysses
Only two beers last night, but yeah, something like 8 or 9 drinks. I think a realistic NYC drinking plan for me is something like two nights of 6 to 10 drinks, two nights of 2 or 3 beers after work, and three nights of no drinking, for about 20 drinks total per week. 5 workouts is easily doable.

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate Subway?

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Im pretty sure that isnt a question. And if it were, only you know the answer.

B) When you get to college, you will realize how brilliant subway really is. (especially if you care about eating non fattening foods)

[/ QUOTE ]

A) I think I meant to put an exclamation point

B) Considering the only reason I ate unhealthily at school was because I had to make my own food and it's easier to make unhealthy food than it is to make healthy food. When I visited my brother a couple times at Tufts all I ate was salad and fish for dinner and eggs and salad the time I was there for breakfast, so I think it's easy to stay healthy w/o gross subway.

CallMeIshmael
06-09-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do any of these places serve turkey bacon/sausage?

I like them, and they arent as fatty.

M2d
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
nh
been meaning to ask you, have you been to basilica on 9th? imo, some really good italian food, but what does a japanese guy from hawaii know? if you've been, what does your bay area honed taste buds tell you? I just want to know if I'm at least in the right ballpark when judging this restaurant. (if you go, try the mousse dessert; it's as big as jas' fro').

tbach24
All you bagel people are wrong.

The best bagel I've ever had is from Dunkin Donuts:

New England Maple Cheddar w/ sausage and egg on an onion.

Pwnage.

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
Only two beers last night, but yeah, something like 8 or 9 drinks. I think a realistic NYC drinking plan for me is something like two nights of 6 to 10 drinks, two nights of 2 or 3 beers after work, and three nights of no drinking, for about 20 drinks total per week. 5 workouts is easily doable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to drop about 25 pounds. Prop bet on drink to workout ratio?

Nevermind this is a horrible idea because I'll never be able to remember the number of drinks.

Sponger15SB
06-09-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pwnage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2555650&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=doubt&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&M ain=2555518&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=10714&d aterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post2555650)

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Except DD bagels sorta suck. (relative to a new york bagel)

mmbt0ne
06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
nh Sponger

The best bagel I ever had was actually at a little cafe in the building I used to work in. Of course, I don't exactly get to eat breakfast in NYC all that often.

samjjones
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pwnage.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the best bagel you've ever had is from DUNKIN' DONUTS, you surely haven't had a lot of bagels in your lifetime.

handsome
06-09-2005, 01:50 PM
If you don't focus so much on cholesterol and wanna eat healthier on a whole, you should get a breakfast like egg whites on wheat, fresh fruits and a shake. Skip the coffee and other bad [censored] like soda and alcohol (!!!).

tbach24
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pwnage.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the best bagel you've ever had is from DUNKIN' DONUTS, you surely haven't had a lot of bagels in your lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had so many bagels, it's ridiculous. I would say that I've eaten more bagels than anything else in my life. I've also had NY bagels but not with good toppings (i.e only cream cheese) and prefer DD's new england maple cheddar. I've never been to the city to have one, but there was a kid who brought back some (he was from there) so I guess they're prob better fresh.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
egg whites on wheat, fresh fruits

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds good. I'll prob be eating a lot of breakfasts like that.

[ QUOTE ]
Skip the coffee

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't drink that much coffee. About every other day I drink one or two cups of coffee.

[ QUOTE ]
soda

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink maybe 1 or 2 cokes per week, if any.

[ QUOTE ]
and alcohol (!!!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's pretty much not going away....

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nh
been meaning to ask you, have you been to basilica on 9th? imo, some really good italian food, but what does a japanese guy from hawaii know? if you've been, what does your bay area honed taste buds tell you? I just want to know if I'm at least in the right ballpark when judging this restaurant. (if you go, try the mousse dessert; it's as big as jas' fro').

[/ QUOTE ]

Back to SF today. I'll check out this place my next trip out here.

M2d
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
menu (http://www.gotham2go.com/index.php/54/45/376)

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
menu (http://www.gotham2go.com/index.php/54/45/376)

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks very basic. I need a place for dinner tonight, think I can just pop in there with three peeps at 8?

FWIW. Cipriani Downtown sucks cock.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to drop about 25 pounds. Prop bet on drink to workout ratio?

Nevermind this is a horrible idea because I'll never be able to remember the number of drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

After lengthy discussion, my friend and I have decided that we will simplify the plan by changing it to a drink budget. 20 drinks per week. I'll definitely work out at least 4 times, but am shooting for 6. Ideally I'd hit 18 drinks and 6 workouts for a 3:1 ratio.

For this 10-day trip out here, I was at 41 drinks and 5 workouts. My friend was at 51 drinks and 11 workouts.

xadrez
06-09-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! I for one, am convinced the Salt Bagel is manufactured personally by God.

M2d
06-09-2005, 02:12 PM
when in town, my wife and I usually just hit it up after a show, but we haven't needed reservations yet.
yes, very basic italian, but very fresh and well done. you plus three should be no problem, I'd think.

also, if you go, let me know what you think.

MaxPower
06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
If you really are worried about cholesterol, have oatmeal for breakfast.

I also know a good doctor in NYC who can put you on Lipitor.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really are worried about cholesterol, have oatmeal for breakfast.

I also know a good doctor in NYC who can put you on Lipitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY. My cholesterol is fine, though. That andyfox worries too much!

BottlesOf
06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, you need to kill yourself.

BottlesOf
06-09-2005, 03:02 PM
I think you need to adpot a more Danny Meyer, Daniel Boulud, David Bouley, JGV oriented diet. You are in NYC, after all...

ClaytonN
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
http://img55.echo.cx/img55/8482/diablo0ig.jpg

colgin
06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Puke.

colgin
06-09-2005, 04:01 PM
For ultra-healthy food that is takeout, look for any of several "The Pump" shops. I am not claiming it is the tastiest food in the world (food, including eggs, is baked, not fried, and no oil is used), but is is ridiculously healthy (and filling). This is where the hardcore lifter types go to eat "clean" food and get their protein fix.

Just a thought.

All the best.

Colgin

stankybank
06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I love NYC sushi/sashimi.

In fact, a lot of NYC food I've tried was yummy. Even their hot dog stands. Roasted Nuts. Nice.

offTopic
06-09-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Muffin and coffee
or
Croissant and coffee
or

Lunch

or
or
Grilled chicken salad

Dinner

or
or
10 pints of beer

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, lunching and dinnering sushi in the same day is pretty retarded, so clearly you either have to smoothlunch sushi and followup by smokedinnering the sub. This gives you outs to possibly stealthdrink and workout afterwards, if you choose to take the free beer. Muffin and coffee is pretty much donkbreakfast, and no one's done that for like five years now, so according to SpicyF Theorem, the only correct thing to do is to light up in the morning and skip the food entirely.

Sully
06-09-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, lunching and dinnering sushi in the same day is pretty retarded, so clearly you either have to smoothlunch sushi and followup by smokedinnering the sub. This gives you outs to possibly stealthdrink and workout afterwards, if you choose to take the free beer. Muffin and coffee is pretty much donkbreakfast, and no one's done that for like five years now, so according to SpicyF Theorem, the only correct thing to do is to light up in the morning and skip the food entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

Diplomat
06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For this 10-day trip out here...My friend was at 51 drinks and 11 workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

11 workouts in 10 days? Fun.

-Diplomat

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Holy crap. Brilliant.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to adpot a more Danny Meyer, Daniel Boulud, David Bouley, JGV oriented diet. You are in NYC, after all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Weekends.

sfer
06-09-2005, 04:51 PM
My summertime NY diet consists of getting gelato (http://www.laboratoriodelgelato.com/) on the LES as frequently as possible. Sometimes I mix it up with rice pudding around there too. I've had the following flavors:

basil
toasted sesame
toasted almond
lavender and honey
rice
mascarpone
pistachio
peanut butter
malt
coffee
tarragon with pink pepper
fresh mint
creme fraiche
green tea

Mint, basil, toasted sesame are my favorites. I'll be having sorbet there when it gets warmer.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Warmer? Duder it's hot as balls out there.

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11 workouts in 10 days? Fun.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3+ mile run counts as a workout for our accounting. So, if you do a 3-mile run followed by an hour in the gym, that's two workouts.

turnipmonster
06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
wanna have a rice pudding outing next week?

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On my list for my next NYC trip:

1) That rice pudding place
2) Gelato Lab!
3) Jewel Bako

turnipmonster
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
well if dave or you or anything else wants to get rice pudding next week I'm down. dave, down for a rice pudding based lunch next week? brad will go if it's not april fools probably.

--turnipmonster

sfer
06-09-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well if dave or you or anything else wants to get rice pudding next week I'm down. dave, down for a rice pudding based lunch next week? brad will go if it's not april fools probably.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Monday is best for me.

sfer
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Warmer? Duder it's hot as balls out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'm going to accelerate my plan.

ClaytonN
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
El D, my dad was wondering if you have ever been to French Laundry or Gary Danko.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
El D, my dad was wondering if you have ever been to French Laundry or Gary Danko.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Dad?

If my son said:

"I have been talking with a masked 33 yr old man from an internet message board."

I'd send you to TBach's school.

ClaytonN
06-09-2005, 05:56 PM
No, my dad is a restaurant reviewer in the Atlanta area and he likes to get involved in how I'm doing with poker. I mentioned that there was a poster on 2+2 in the SF area who seems to know restaurants, and he was curious...

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, my dad is a restaurant reviewer in the Atlanta area and he likes to get involved in how I'm doing with poker. I mentioned that there was a poster on 2+2 in the SF area who seems to know restaurants, and he was curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

dude I was kidding

M2d
06-09-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm not ElD, but those two were probably the two best tasting meals I've eaten outside of a hot pastrami on rye from a kosher deli.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-09-2005, 08:09 PM
hmmm...
Cholesterol, huh? Try this out:

Breakfast
Cheerios or Oatmeal

Lunch
Brown Rice
lean protein

Dinner
Salad
lean protein
more brown rice

Stress
yoga

exercise
running or kickboxing

drinking
switch to red wine

honesty
committ that you are truly going to change your life,
not just post sillyness on message boards that you
don't really mean

good luck and here's to low LDL!
cheers
::raises wine glass::

colgin
06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well if dave or you or anything else wants to get rice pudding next week I'm down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be down for that "rice pudding" place. It rules.

thatpfunk
06-09-2005, 11:26 PM
gary = family friend

his restaurant = amazing

Luv2DriveTT
06-10-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to adpot a more Danny Meyer, Daniel Boulud, David Bouley, Jean-Georges Vongerichten oriented diet. You are in NYC, after all...

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. However avoid Dany Meyer's Shake Shake in Madison Square Park, or his Blue Smoke BBQ unless you want to die of a heart attack (a VERY happy heart attack!). One of the best hamburgers in NYC at the Shake Shack, and Blue Smoke has pulled pork that is to die for.

(PS: I had to fix JG's name, I was compelled to do so!)

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
06-10-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On my list for my next NYC trip:

1) That rice pudding place
2) Gelato Lab!
3) Jewel Bako

[/ QUOTE ]

Skip the rice pudding place in Nolita, it is pure sugar (and not that yummy). Place is very cool looking, but its bad news. Guaranteed tummy ache.

I must be the only NYC resident that isn't big on sushi, but from what I hear Jewel Bako is good. But since its such a small little room I hear it gets rather hot (and its impossible to get a table). Nobu is the standard, for the new alternative try Lure Fishbar. I'm also a big fan of Bond Street, I've been going there for 15 years now (three owners prior, the place still rocks). But for a SERIOUS night out its all about Megu, or the Japanese place at the Time Warner building. I make a decent living, but I cannot afford either of these places, its hardcore!

I don't spend much time on the LES anymore, Gelato Lab is a new one for me. Sounds like a must-do this summer.

somethingstupid
06-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Go for a 3 mile run every day. If the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn.

for shizzle (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0915297019/ref=pd_sxp_f/104-5221709-3895914?v=glance&s=books)

Lawrence Ng
06-10-2005, 05:38 AM
D., this is my suggestion for a lower cholesterol diet.

Breakfast -

Fruit Smoothie instead of coffee, but if you really need the caffeine fix then go for both. No muffin or croissant, go with eggs and bacon if you can. No sausage.

Lunch:

Sushi/Sashimi sounds good. I'd go for a Greek chicken wrap if you want to as well, tzaziki dressing is ok. You can also try substituting tuna for chicken on your salad.

Dinner: I'd actually lay off any breads or carbs (refined or otherwise during dinner) Stick with veggies and meat here. Maybe some salmon/halibut that's grilled with nothing but lemon juice and pepper - no deep fried crap. I'd also go with grilled turkey/and or chicken if you can find any. Lamb wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Instead of beer, I'd stick with wine. Dinner is where you want no carbs, you want your carb fix during breakfast and lunch.

But your diet seems good for lowering cholesterol as there is little unsaturated fat and processed material.

Good luck.

Lawrence

SpicyF
06-10-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Muffin and coffee
or
Croissant and coffee
or

Lunch

or
or
Grilled chicken salad

Dinner

or
or
10 pints of beer

[/ QUOTE ]

CTS is the key!

AEKDBet
06-10-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Skip the coffee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just plain wrong.

one of a bajillion LINKS (http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm)

-and don't eat the muffin

sfer
06-10-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to adpot a more Danny Meyer, Daniel Boulud, David Bouley, Jean-Georges Vongerichten oriented diet. You are in NYC, after all...

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. However avoid Dany Meyer's Shake Shake in Madison Square Park, or his Blue Smoke BBQ unless you want to die of a heart attack (a VERY happy heart attack!). One of the best hamburgers in NYC at the Shake Shack, and Blue Smoke has pulled pork that is to die for.

(PS: I had to fix JG's name, I was compelled to do so!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shake Shack is about a 45 second walk from my apartment. I've been eating about 3 meals a week there.

I don't like Blue Smoke much but their Key Lime pie is great.

colgin
06-10-2005, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Skip the rice pudding place in Nolita,

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooo!

[ QUOTE ]
it is pure sugar

[/ QUOTE ]

And??

[ QUOTE ]
(and not that yummy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense. Look, at the end of day it is only rice pudding. But, if like me, you really like rice pudding, then it is the bomb.

turnipmonster
06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
it's not pure sugar. it's sugar with rice! I love rice pudding.

--turnipmonster

howzit
06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Rice pudding (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/02/03/rice_to_riches_racketeering_ring.php)

a friend of mine worked here right before this happened.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Egg custard pwnes rice pudding.

turnipmonster
06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
what is this "egg custard" of which you speak?

sfer
06-10-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are egg custards that are common in dim sum, although I don't know if that is what is being referred to here...

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Wow! I guess it's a Southern thing. I've never actually made it but it's basically scalded milk, eggs and sugar made into a kind of baked pudding. My Grandma's maid Georgie-Mae made the best I ever had (not to mention her fried chicken). She's dead now. I really miss her.

sfer
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Skip the rice pudding place in Nolita, it is pure sugar (and not that yummy). Place is very cool looking, but its bad news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I love the rice pudding but really dislike the lame, plastic-y, sleek, futuristic look of the place.

IndieMatty
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My Grandma's maid Georgie-Mae made the best I ever had (not to mention her fried chicken). She's dead now. I really miss her.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTY

IndieMatty
06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My Grandma's maid Georgie-Mae made the best I ever had (not to mention her fried chicken). She's dead now. I really miss her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

I haven't had fried chicken in years. Dave are there any good fried chicken places downtown?

xadrez
06-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Best Fried Chicken in NY, hands down.

Caporal, Broadway between 157th and 156th.

Take-Out only though.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very serious. She was a helluva a lady. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for her. When I was 3, I wandered into a corral and a horse tried to trample me. She jumped the fence and threw herself on me.

IndieMatty
06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best Fried Chicken in NY, hands down.

Caporal, Broadway between 157th and 156th.

Take-Out only though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Broadway between 157th and 156th.

I live on 93rd, but I'm pretty sure the fried chicken can't be that good to warrant that trip.

Or is it?

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had fried chicken in years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad.

sfer
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had fried chicken in years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. More chicken for the rest of us.

sfer
06-10-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

I haven't had fried chicken in years. Dave are there any good fried chicken places downtown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any off the top of my head. But I came across this. (http://www.chowhound.com/boards/thebest/messages/6087.html)

xadrez
06-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Maybe I am just a sucker for crispy fried chicken, but I love it.

Like I said though, you have to take it out, so it might not be worth it.

Try Sylvia's on 126 or 127th and Lenox. You can sit down and their specialty I believe is fried chicken and waffles, Heart Attack Anyone? If you live on the West Side this is a 5 minute train ride on the 2/3.

sfer
06-10-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am just a sucker for crispy fried chicken, but I love it.

Like I said though, you have to take it out, so it might not be worth it.

Try Sylvia's on 126 or 127th and Lenox. You can sit down and their specialty I believe is fried chicken and waffles!
Heart Attack Anyone??

[/ QUOTE ]

That conjures up memories of Roscoe's in Oakland.

turnipmonster
06-10-2005, 11:39 AM
sylvia's is famous, but I think somewhat overrated. I haven't been to harlem in a long time, but my first gigs in nyc were all up there so I used to be up there a lot, it's a different world. I wish I could remember the names of some of the places we played, at one place we got a free meal and the waitress wouldn't bring me my banana pudding until I finished my okra. it was great.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the waitress wouldn't bring me my banana pudding until I finished my okra. it was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome!

xadrez
06-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Sylvia's is indeed a bit overrated, however if you aren't used to eating soul food on a regular basis its good.

I forgot the other places up there as its been about 2 years since Ive eaten at any of them.

IndieMatty
06-10-2005, 12:00 PM
El D could entitle a thread "My Bowel Movement" and it would get a flame.

M2d
06-10-2005, 01:00 PM
did you try it?

IndieMatty
06-10-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did you try it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugg no. Got some crappy bar apps at some irish joint. Friends suck.

Rick Nebiolo
06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
10 pints of beer

[/ QUOTE ]

You plan on working out five times per day?????

~ Rick

Ulysses
06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobu is the standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Been to many different Nobus many times. Las Vegas is imo the best - relatively easy to get a table, nice spacious room.

[ QUOTE ]
Lure Fishbar

[/ QUOTE ]

Just checked out the menu (http://www.lurefishbar.com/menu.php) there. Looks great.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also a big fan of Bond Street

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Though I generally prefer to go to places like Yama that are not quite so expensive, but still really good.

[ QUOTE ]
Japanese place at the Time Warner building.

[/ QUOTE ]

Masa (http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food/reviews/restaurant/n_10201/) does indeed sound very good, though $300-500 for the tasting menu before drinks is pretty out of control.

Eurotrash
06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so funny, yet so true.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so funny, yet so true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given these meals, I'm kind of curious about his bowel movements. Also, does he take off the mask during?

GuyOnTilt
06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey The Diablo,

Why would you go to Subway? According to Evan's seemingly never-ending spiel about NYC delis and how "awesome" and "spectacular" and "cizzool" they are (yeah, he's a loser), you should probably not go to Subway. Sandwiches are freaking awesome, but Subway is definitely not the place to get said freaking awesome sandwiches. Don't let me down.

GoT

Eurotrash
06-10-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given these meals, I'm kind of curious about his bowel movements. Also, does he take off the mask during?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I thought it was kind of out of line at the time... but since somebody else brought the topic up, I was kind of curious what the [censored] you take after a 350+ dollar meal is like.

it's gotta be at least better than average.

morgant
06-10-2005, 04:43 PM
i ate at megu a few weekends ago, and the aftermath was rock solid, no wiping necessary.

Ulysses
06-10-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I thought it was kind of out of line at the time... but since somebody else brought the topic up, I was kind of curious what the [censored] you take after a 350+ dollar meal is like.

it's gotta be at least better than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the meal for two at Wolfgang's was $220. Expensive, not outrageous.

The dump the next morning was, like morgant's, perfect - very tight and did not require wiping.

colgin
06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you go to Subway? According to Evan's seemingly never-ending spiel about NYC delis and how "awesome" and "spectacular" and "cizzool" they are (yeah, he's a loser), you should probably not go to Subway. Sandwiches are freaking awesome, but Subway is definitely not the place to get said freaking awesome sandwiches. Don't let me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want an awesome sandwich and one that makes all of New York proud then one should definitely go to one of the many classic NY delis. If you are trying to control what you eat for fitness purposes (and I thought that was part of El D's idea here), then you could do a lot worse than Subway depending on the choices you make. While I think the idea of a subway diet is ridiculous I did eat a whole lot of Subway 6 or 12" Veggie Delights for lunch during the year that I lost 45 pounds (which I have been fortunate enough to keep off).

Luv2DriveTT
06-11-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Shake Shack is about a 45 second walk from my apartment. I've been eating about 3 meals a week there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then be prepared for a visit, I'm doing lunch at the shack tomorrow. In exchange I gotta take you to Fat Burger some day in Jersey City. Search for my old OOT Fat Burger thread, that place truely rocks.

I used to be a partner in a business right across from the Shack, too bad Madison Square was a dust bin back then /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Luv2DriveTT
06-11-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Skip the rice pudding place in Nolita, it is pure sugar (and not that yummy). Place is very cool looking, but its bad news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I love the rice pudding but really dislike the lame, plastic-y, sleek, futuristic look of the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one of the only two things I love about this place. That and because its the worlds biggest tax write off for a numbers runner. Gamblers are close to my heart /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luv2DriveTT
06-11-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[[ QUOTE ]
Lure Fishbar

[/ QUOTE ]

Just checked out the menu (http://www.lurefishbar.com/menu.php) there. Looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

If/when you want a table at Lure... PM me. I have an in with the owner.

Masa - you gotta do that at least once in your life. And while you are there, beg for a reservation at Per Se next door. Its owned by Thmas Keller of French Laundry in Nappa Valley, one of the best restauraunts I have ever been to. Three Michelin Stars, thats near impossible to get.

MMmmmm.... Napa..... I think I need to find a way to go on a San Fran "biz trip" this year just so I can make a pit stop after I'm done working /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tron
06-11-2005, 12:40 AM
This is ever so slightly off-topic, but I was wondering how does the sushi in NYC compare to the sushi on the West Coast (at a GOOD sushi restaurant)?

Subfallen
06-11-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11 "workouts" in 10 days? Fun.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Ulysses
06-11-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11 "workouts" in 10 days? Fun.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, all the workouts are very serious. The only questionable one so far is whether 2 hours of volleyball (6 long games) counts as a workout.

Ulysses
06-11-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[[ QUOTE ]
Lure Fishbar

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If/when you want a table at Lure... PM me. I have an in with the owner.

Masa - you gotta do that at least once in your life. And while you are there, beg for a reservation at Per Se next door. Its owned by Thmas Keller of French Laundry in Nappa Valley, one of the best restauraunts I have ever been to. Three Michelin Stars, thats near impossible to get.

MMmmmm.... Napa..... I think I need to find a way to go on a San Fran "biz trip" this year just so I can make a pit stop after I'm done working /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, will definitely hit you up re: Lure, though I think I want to hit Jewel Bako and a couple of other places on my list first. I have an in for Per Se, but I actually don't think that will even matter that much, as my people tell me that it actually won't be that hard to get a res there during the summer. My friend just went there and paid $2800 for 4. Ouch. They did do the wine pairings and all the extras, but still, ouch.

Masa, yeah, I think you're right, I have to do that.

Ulysses
06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is ever so slightly off-topic, but I was wondering how does the sushi in NYC compare to the sushi on the West Coast (at a GOOD sushi restaurant)?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, San Francisco has good sushi restaurants that are equivalent to NYC restaurants and the SF places are 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of the comparable NYC places.

NYC, however, has a number of super-premium places (Nobu, Bond Street, etc.) with set menus of $100+ and super-super-premium places (Masa, and I believe at least one other) with set menus of $300+. San Francisco has some places that compare to the first category (though maybe just a slight notch below), but doesn't have anything like Masa.

tonypaladino
06-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Subway is only healthy if you choose certain sandwiches, your prefered BMT for example, has 900 calories and 42 grams of fat, and thats before the mayo. (extra 20 grams of fat). More than as meal at McDonalds. (Quarter Pounder ~400 Cal, 20g Fat, Large Fries ~400 Cal, 20g Fat)

Subway Info (http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=sandwich)

Tony

somethingstupid
06-11-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

for shizzle (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0915297019/ref=pd_sxp_f/104-5221709-3895914?v=glance&s=books)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously just read this book. Diets are for women in their 40s.

Ulysses
06-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Well, it's only half that much since I'm only eating a 6-inch and I don't get mayo on it. Still not great, though, I agree.

colgin
06-11-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Subway is only healthy if you choose certain sandwiches, your prefered BMT for example, has 900 calories

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I didn't say anything about a BMT (I'm not even sure what that is but it probably has meat in it so I wouldn't eat it anyway). I mentioned veggie delight, but your point is well taken. My point was that you could have a relatively healthy lunch from them if you wanted to. At a NY deli you are most likely signing up for fattening artery clogger.

sfer
06-12-2005, 10:24 AM
I'll probably be hitting Masa sometime in July. Nice thing about lawyer friends into food, they have secretaries who will call for reservations relentlessly.

Luv2DriveTT
06-12-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll probably be hitting Masa sometime in July. Nice thing about lawyer friends into food, they have secretaries who will call for reservations relentlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell your lawyer friend to have the secretary show up in the afternoon herself personally. No need to call, rezo is practically guaranteed. They are suckers for a pretty face!

colgin
06-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Earlier in the thread people mentioned possibly meeting up at Rice to Riches. Is that or any other meeting set up for this week in NY. If so, I would love to get together since it has been a while since I have seen many of you. I know a bunch of you are leaving for Vegas at the end of the week but was wondering about the beginning of it.