PDA

View Full Version : Folding KK to Aggression - Mistake?

Ted
01-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Saturday afternoon, 2-4 at the Taj in AC

I'm dealt KK UTG and raise.

One MP caller and one LP caller.

Flop is J 7 7 rainbow.

I bet, MP raises, LP folds.

I fold.

The raiser had not been in the game very long (maybe two orbits) and had never raised before or after the flop.

I retrospect, I think my fold was very weak. Should I have called the raise and then check-called to showdown?

Ulysses
01-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Should I have called the raise and then check-called to showdown?

I'd either call the raise and check-raise the turn or 3-bet the flop and bet out on the turn. If I'm raised again on the turn, I'll probably check-call against an unknown opponent. Against many opponents I'll 3-bet again.

It's very easy to not have any playable hands for two orbits. If you changed that to two hours, I might be more cautious. If you changed MP to BB or button I'd be more cautious.

Sure, the player might have a 7. But there are far more hands that might raise here (AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, TT, 99, 88, maybe even 89s, 9Ts) than hands with a 7 in them that the average player calls a raise w/ in MP.

Porcupine
01-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Like one of Ulysses's options, I would 3-bet here, bet the turn, then slow down if MP raised again.

I know it was only two orbits, but did MP play many hands?
I think it is far more likely the MP called a raise with a Jack (or two) versus a 7 in his hand. If he does hold a J, this is a good spot for MP to try to protect his top pair, by representing a 7. If MP does have a 7, most players probably wouldn't force LP to call 2 bets on this cheap street.

Ed Miller
01-07-2003, 06:22 PM
This was definitely a bad fold. Raiser probably had a Jack.

eMarkM
01-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah, bad fold. You raise UTG and MP may very well cold call you with AJs. That's what I'd put him on with his raise. Some kind of J in any case. What else could he have A7s? JJ? I would think you would have seen a reraise preflop if that. If he did cold call with something like those and is sitting on trips I would think he'd wait the turn to raise anyway to suck the LP in for another bet. His raise seems like protection of top pair good kicker. I would have reraised and led out the turn.

bernie
01-07-2003, 07:31 PM
this is an easy call down...he's an unknown player. he likely has a J, since many will play trips to the turn. unless you had more info that he would raise trips in this spot...

but again, an unknown HU? cheap info, i say...

b

Louie Landale
01-07-2003, 07:52 PM
You are not thinking about what he has. If he's particulary tight he's VERY unlikely to call a raise with a hand featuring a 7, even A7s. And if he IS unassertive he's very likely to flat call (correctly) with his 7, hoping to trap both you and the next guy, hehehe. And even if he would raise with a 7 he's still more likely to have a J and should, I guess, raise with that.

All-in-all I'd say you are still THE favorite when he raises, and folding is completely out of the question; unless you REALLY know your player and he would NEVER raise with AJ or QQ with that flop. If you DO fold, it will be against players that are a lot more likely to have AA than a 7.

Calling him down is certainly an option, as is calling figuring to check-raise the turn. 3-betting is also an option.

- Louie

PokerPrince
01-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Wow. That's beyond a bad fold. It's a ridiculofold. Meaning a ridiculous fold.

PokerPrince