PDA

View Full Version : KQs vs short stack's pre-flop raise?

SamuraiPlatypus
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($6.7)
MP3 ($36.95)
CO ($19.15)
Button ($16.1)
SB ($21.67)
BB ($19.1)
Hero ($58.05)
UTG+1 ($12)
UTG+2 ($26.45)
MP1 ($22.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

Pre-flop, i'm not so sure i should've called. I think betting from UTG was alright, but calling his raise might have been too risky. of the hands he's showed, he's only raise with pocket pairs, so i had him on AA or KK. Should i have folded right here?

Flop: ($10.35) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, Button calls $6.10 (All-In).
I'm more comfortable with my post-flop play. once i pair my ace and have that flush draw, i'm pretty happy. that was the best flop i could've hoped for. his $5, when he only has around $10 left, tells me he doesn't have aces (i think he would've went all-in to make sure i didn't have odds to draw or bet less to try to get me to call with a worse hand). so i put him on KK and put him all-in. i think that was the right play. or should i have just called to allow myself to draw cheaper?
Final Pot: $51.45

imported_anacardo
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AQs vs short stack's pre-flop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

If he is in fact an AA-KK reraiser, this is an instafold preflop, as your immediate &amp; implied odds both suck. You're not exactly golden if his reraise range is more like AA-TT, AK, AQs either, since your hand is the worst of these. Remember that you're isolated, out of position, and have no dead money in the pot. I'd take a flop on a stack this short only if Villain was one of the many desperate, impatient short-stack players you see in droves.

Postflop, hell, plays itself. You hit the perfect flop, more or less, so you might as well get everybody's money in the middle.

jaydub
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
If you think his hand range is AA - KK, yes you should fold preflop.

Postflop looks fine. It's unlikely that you're ahead, especially if he's tight like you suggest. However, you have plenty of outs and he could conceivably fold here.

Biggest problem I see with this hand is preflop. AQs doesn't do well against a tight player's reraise.

-Skeme-
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I fold preflop.

SamuraiPlatypus
06-09-2005, 02:32 PM
i agree i should've folded to his re-raise preflop. other than being pretty tired, i really have no reason to justify calling that raise, heh.

was my original pre-flop bet alright? i wasn't really sure what to do UTG with that.

Hoopster81
06-09-2005, 03:01 PM
AQ is a hard hand to decide what to do with preflop in EP IMO. Basically, I vary my raises here in the $.50 - $1.50 range.

Obviously that re-raise is player dependent. No read = insta-fold I think.

jaydub
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I disagree. I do not vary the raise based upon the quality of the starting hand. I vary it based upon the number of limpers. Varying it based upon strength gives away too much information.

Hoopster81
06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
1st - He is UTG. # of limpers is unknown.

2nd - What did I say about varying the raise based on strength? We are talking about one hand (AQ) in EP, and how to play it. I said I like to vary the way I play it, and vary my raise size based on the state of the table, my image, etc.