PDA

View Full Version : I suck HU

Losfer
06-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Haven't seen my opponent do anyting particularly interesting, but seems loose PF.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

I raise PF thinking I most likely have the best hand. I reraised because I thought it would give me control of the hand (which makes no sense if I'm going to check the flop). Even if I continue my aggresion I'm not sure about this play.

On the turn I start thinking I need to get rid of this hand, but can't bring my self to do it. I'm not even sure what I should be thinking here. Lines from HEPFAP about folding too often makes betting w/any two profitable keep running through my head, and I make the call.

On the river I'm just stupid. The very slim chance that ace high is good here, coupled with my curiosity, compell me to call.

I would really like some advice on how I should be thinking when I get HU.

I hope I haven't made any of you dumber just from reading this.

DeathDonkey
06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suck HU

[/ QUOTE ]

I will concede this point.

Why are you capping preflop? Why did you raise in the first place? An UTG limper in a typical game has ATo beat, unless he is extraordinarily bad this is a check preflop.

After that, pick a street, I'd fold on every one of them if I was somehow still in the hand.

You're playing an 8 handed game with an UTG limper and you have a marginal hand. This isn't like a heads up game where a medium ace is a showdown worthy hand. Just play normal and not "its heads up I'm going to go crazy and stupid now". You have no hand. Fold. Somewhere. Please.

-DeathDonkey

therockofgibraltar
06-09-2005, 12:07 PM
I suck at HU too but I think you should fold this hand at the flop. And just call the preflop 3-bet.

Deamon2
06-09-2005, 12:08 PM
I think the pf cap is the problem here. Like you said, it dictates how you play the rest of the hand. You're OOP, so you'd really like to see a strong flop. There are a lot of flops you don't like to see with ATo. So, if you call his 3-bet and c/r any favorable flop, you're probably better off. You may be losing some value pf, but you're gaining it back by making the hand much easier to play.

istewart
06-09-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An UTG limper in a typical game has ATo beat

[/ QUOTE ]

What games are these?

DeathDonkey
06-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Alright you caught me. But still, this is a raise preflop? I'm pretty LAGgy and I would check unless the guy is like 50 VPIP.

-DeathDonkey

istewart
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm torn. Depends on how bad he is of course, but on average, ATo is a lot better than this guy's limping hand.

Fantam
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I think the trouble with raising this hand in the BB, is that you are going to be playing the remaining streets out of position with not that great a hand.

I think you would have been better off checking to see the flop and going from there. If you had done that, it would have been much easier to get away from this hand when you didnt connect with the flop as the pot would have been much smaller (only 2sb).

The trouble with raising PF without a very good hand from the blinds is that it can sometimes have the effect of tying you to the pot in a disadvantageous position, as seems to have happened here.

By the way, dont worry about making me any dumber than I already am. I dont think that would be possible LOL. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

imported_The Vibesman
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Don't think I would raise pre-flop. It's definitely a possiblity that you are (nominally) ahead, but you'll be out of position for the remainder of the hand, which offsets the value of your hand. Certainly wouldn't cap, from any position.
I might lead the flop here too, but probably drop the hand ASAP after being raised. I don't like to fold on the same street as I bet, so I'd probably call and check/fold the turn. If I was leaving the table soon I might even just fold right to the flop raise. I wouldn't call the turn or the river.

gopnik
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I am folding either the flop or the turn

aces_dad
06-09-2005, 03:11 PM
The limp-reraise PF would have slowed me down in this hand. Typically I only see this with A's and K's so I don't like capping it PF to a hand I think I'm way behind.

I probably just call PF, I like leading out the flop but after the raise just call, and check/fold the turn UI. I would not fold the flop for a raise, as I don't like folding on the same street I raised on.

sexdrugsmoney
06-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Fold on flop raise.

Let me guess, he made trip 4's on the flop, turned into a full house by the river? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

billy51
06-09-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise PF thinking I most likely have the best hand. I reraised because I thought it would give me control of the hand (which makes no sense if I'm going to check the flop). Even if I continue my aggresion I'm not sure about this play.

[/ QUOTE ] While I can understand the argument for the PF raise as a value raise (although I personally would check here), the cap is way too much. When you say take control of the hand, I assume you mean that you hope villian will fold if he misses the flop, so you can win the pot even if you don't improve. Limp/raisers usually have really good hands (typically AA or KK, maybe AK). You probably won't be able to bet this guy off his hand regardless of whether you call or cap PF.

Losfer
06-09-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold on flop raise.

Let me guess, he made trip 4's on the flop, turned into a full house by the river? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this thread was dead, but since you brought it back I'll let you know that he had pocket 9's.

Quercus
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that he had pocket 9's.

[/ QUOTE ]

He played them nicely.

Resist the temptation to go to war in HU situations - especially in full ring games. You'll win a little and lose a lot.

PokerBob
06-09-2005, 10:49 PM
the pf cap is absurd imo, especially OOP. The limp/rr either means AA-KK or total crap IMO. What could he possibly have that you beat by the river?

sexdrugsmoney
06-10-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold on flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this thread was dead, but since you brought it back I'll let you know that he had pocket 9's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm ... I wonder if you had of re-raised him on the flop whether you could have taken the pot?

Probably not in Limit though ... would've been a very interesting NL hand for him though. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cheers mate,
SDM