PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Board Game

Frequitude
06-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm going to take a step up from Risk and say...

Axis & Allies

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Take all that stratego nonsense and go back to your nerdhole!

Any answer other than Cranium is ridiculous.

bdk3clash
06-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Settlers of Catan.

samjjones
06-09-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Axis & Allies

[/ QUOTE ]
Good one. After not playing for 20 years, I recently picked up a copy of the new Revised version of A&A and brought it over to my Dad's house to play. We both love history and beer, so this game is a good match.

Frequitude
06-09-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Cranium is a silly and significantly less funny than most people make it out to be.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Cranium is a silly and significantly less funny than most people make it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have problems with the clay molding; I totally understand.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2planka
06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Go

swede123
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Too many fond childhood memories of Monopoly not to nominate that.

Swede

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
This was done about a month ago. ONE STAR!

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-05/0128manure.jpg

Frequitude
06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Axis & Allies

[/ QUOTE ]
Good one. After not playing for 20 years, I recently picked up a copy of the new Revised version of A&A and brought it over to my Dad's house to play. We both love history and beer, so this game is a good match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's such a cool game. I feel like a top General in the movies plotting strategies while surveying a mock-up of the battle field.

If you like Risk and don't know A&A, it is basically Risk with tanks, infantry, bombers, fighters, battleships, transports, etc...and based on WW2

Frequitude
06-09-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I actually searched the past two months of OOT for "board game", "board games", "boardgame", +board +game, and found nothing.

Uethym
06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have problems with the clay molding; I totally understand./images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cranium isn't even the best clay-molding game -- that title belongs to Barbarossa (obscure, but worth looking for).

steelcmg
06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
The drinking game pass out brings back good memories

Bluffoon
06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I nominate backgammon. Go was mentioned and is very cool.

Anybody ever play Twixt?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-09-2005, 11:11 AM
With the right players, Twister is clearly the best answer.

steelcmg
06-09-2005, 11:13 AM
yea twister would be awesome with keyra augustina and that awesome ass. lol

jackdaniels
06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
A&A tops my list.

Then we have Settlers of Catan, Samurai Swords, Diplomacy, Trivial Pursuit.

Damn I wish my friends liked to play these games! I haven't played any of the above (aside from Trivial Pursuit) in more than 5 years!

Any Torontonians reading this thread wanna play A&A some time?

kyro
06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Too many fond childhood memories of Monopoly not to nominate that.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

"[censored] this game. I quit. You win grandma."

This quote is so true.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think it qualifies as a "board" game though.

Frequitude
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
That's two nominations for Settlers of Catan. I'm gonna have to look this up.

Edit: Cool, looks like my kind of game.

Little Fishy
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
if you like settlers of catthan the maker has another game called domain or dominion or something like that that is a pretty fun game

steelcmg
06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about we combined twister and Pass out with keyra augustina then we could have some real fun.

Frequitude
06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about we combined twister and Pass out with keyra augustina then we could have some real fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the board.

Sheepscot
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I actually searched the past two months of OOT for "board game", "board games", "boardgame", +board +game, and found nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2141612&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

chaas4747
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A&A tops my list.

Then we have Settlers of Catan, Samurai Swords, Diplomacy, Trivial Pursuit.

Damn I wish my friends liked to play these games! I haven't played any of the above (aside from Trivial Pursuit) in more than 5 years!

[/ QUOTE ]

I played A&A alot, so that gets my vote for #1.
Funny thing I was looking at Samuri swords, and thinking is that anything like Shogun. Googled it and Shoguns name was changed to Samuri swords, that that gets my second vote.

Little Fishy
06-09-2005, 11:25 AM
I heard samuri swords wasn't great, definitly looking into getting my dad diplomacy for his b-day...

do you like A&A europe and pacific... I found them pretty fun but not like the original...

given your list I think you'd like Battlecry (maybe 2 words) it's a civil war era game

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they have a version that you can buy for your computer and play online... doesn't have the same feel as playing in person, but it's the same game

jackdaniels
06-09-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard samuri swords wasn't great, definitly looking into getting my dad diplomacy for his b-day...

do you like A&A europe and pacific... I found them pretty fun but not like the original...

given your list I think you'd like Battlecry (maybe 2 words) it's a civil war era game

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they have a version that you can buy for your computer and play online... doesn't have the same feel as playing in person, but it's the same game

[/ QUOTE ]

The original A&A is what I like to play. The versions that came out aren't as much fun. Samurai Swords (or as another poster mentioned, originally titled Shogun) is fun as well, but not as much fun as the others on the list. I used to play a lot in university, while still living in NY. The friend I played with went on to open a gaming company that now owns the rights to a bunch of card games (Shadowfist being the most popular I think) and also a few board games.
Here (http://www.zmangames.com/products/Ideology/index.html) is one they created which looks like fun (alas, there is no one I know that wants to help me test it out).

I did play the A&A online version a while back, but I find it boring playing a turn based game online, where the game can take a long time to complete. I think they had rankings and such on that site as well - if this is the same thing you are talking about.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-09-2005, 11:40 AM
So are we actually implying that we're talking about the 2nd best board game of all time, since it goes without saying that the king of all board games is actually Chess?

samjjones
06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Does anybody know of good trivia type games, particularly focusing on movies/tv? My friends will not play me in Trivial Pursuit, even if I play one against 4 or 5. They think I have memorized the cards (I have not). I need to be able to pull some new game out of shrink wrap in order to get a game going.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody know of good trivia type games, particularly focusing on movies/tv? My friends will not play me in Trivial Pursuit, even if I play one against 4 or 5. They think I have memorized the cards (I have not). I need to be able to pull some new game out of shrink wrap in order to get a game going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once won a game of TP in 14 minutes. I was one fire! I still remember the answer to the final question was Dweezil Zappa. I have no idea how I knew that one. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

swede123
06-09-2005, 11:50 AM
You need Scene It. It's a DVD based board game, showing video clips etc. and making you guess actors, movie titles. Pretty much the coolest if you are a big movie buff.

Swede

steelcmg
06-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Scene rules even though i suck at it. I hate to play it with my one friend he is a movie fanatic and knows everything.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You need Scene It. It's a DVD based board game, showing video clips etc. and making you guess actors, movie titles. Pretty much the coolest if you are a big movie buff.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it better than the DVD-based Trivial Pursuit?

VBM
06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
this keeps coming back up.

y'all are just begging to get rebuked by astroglide (again)...

Pocket Trips
06-09-2005, 11:56 AM
y0ou don't know Jack was pretty good..

Pocket Trips
06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
At different times in my life I have been addicted to backgammon, talisman, Axis and allies, diplomacy, and of course my favorite games as a kid... operation and mouse trap

steelcmg
06-09-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it better than the DVD-based Trivial Pursuit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i liked Scene it more they have a party mode on the extra disc where it plays nothing but movie clips and u have to guess the some crazy things like how many marbles where on the floor.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Board games are lame. 1 Star.

NiceCatch
06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man there are some gaming dorks on this board. Let me add my 2c and say:
Settlers of Catan (there's also an online version, with ladder, at northwestern.edu)
Axis and Allies (classic version)
Diplomacy
Trivial Pursuit, of course

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
For the record, I now HATE Candyland and Chutes & Ladders.

Someone gave my three year-old both for Christmas last year. He wants to play them constantly, but refuses to actually learn the games. Instead he just wants me to sit there with him for hours while he randomly spine, rolls dice and moves the pieces.

He actually does play other games by the rules, but for some reason not these. If I knew who gave these to him, I would strangle the life from them.

drexah
06-09-2005, 01:08 PM
SSSTRAAAATEEEGOOOOOOOO!!!
or candyland

jedi
06-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Never played Settlers of Catan, so I can't speak to it, but I really liked Puerto Rico and still have a fondness for Monopoly and Clue.

TripleH68
06-09-2005, 01:10 PM
SCRABBLE.

Bluffoon
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I now HATE Candyland and Chutes & Ladders.

Someone gave my three year-old both for Christmas last year. He wants to play them constantly, but refuses to actually learn the games. Instead he just wants me to sit there with him for hours while he randomly spine, rolls dice and moves the pieces.

He actually does play other games by the rules, but for some reason not these. If I knew who gave these to him, I would strangle the life from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I know where you are coming from. My mother gave my son a simpsons/clue board game and he loved it but he had absolutely no interest in learning the rules or even attempting to play the game as intended. I finally ended my torture by sending the game with him to my mom's when she watched him for me one time and making sure it didnt come back.

-Skeme-
06-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Scattegories was fun. Monopoly wins, though.

tbach24
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SCRABBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

___SK___
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SCRABBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slade
06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Either Settlers of Catan or Monopoly.

stankybank
06-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Mouse trap.

Clue.

Pente.

Othello.

Pocket Trips
06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Does connect four count as a board game? if so add that to my list

The Armchair
06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Settlers of Catan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Mom
06-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Cranium is boring.

blaze666
06-10-2005, 01:16 AM
scotland yard, definetly, it is very entertaining, but no-one has heard of it.

Your Mom
06-10-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So is will ferrell. 0 stars.

somethingstupid
06-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Twister with lube

Little Fishy
06-10-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
scotland yard

[/ QUOTE ]

good one it completely slipped my mind, best with 4ish players + I like being the one they're trying to catch

plaster8
06-10-2005, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Scattegories was fun. Monopoly wins, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scattegories is great if you play it with the right crowd. You've got to be with people who enjoy hearing/giving really offensive answers.

SGS
06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
The answer is clearly Stratego.

SGS

Your Mom
06-10-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The answer is clearly Stratego.

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Cuneo
06-12-2005, 02:36 AM
If anyone has ever played Strat-O-Matic baseball, that's a great game. (even if you haven't it's still great and you should try it)

Talk2BigSteve
06-12-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Axis & Allies

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.abstractstrategy.com/stealth-chess.jpg
Stealth Chess has the same set of pieces as western chess, but with a twist—each player knows the identities of his/her pieces, but not those of his/her opponent's. The only clues to their identities are their movements. To start, randomly place the pieces on the board. The two players take turns moving and strategically capturing their opponent's pieces. There's no check, the goal is to capture the opposing King by whatever means.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tron
06-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Loaded Questions

gavrilo
06-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Balderdash is fun with the right group.

arod4276
06-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Dark Tower..arod4276