PDA

View Full Version : Itching to see what she had....but not willing to pay!

balt999
01-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Ever wanted to see what an opponent had? Knowing you were beaten! But didn't pay to see...here's a hand I played tonight that illustrate it...

It's late-night at Mandalay Bay's 4-8 game...I just wanted to play a few hands, while I was waiting to pick up a friend working security at a Hustler's Party at the House of Blues.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Of course, Mandalay Bay is hopping with georgeous women....anyway...on to the hand...

UTG straddles at $4...called by MP...I'm on the button with A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and call..SB raises...SB is an older lady who seems to be having a tough night (Maybe her husband was chasing the skirts around Mandalay /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) BB mucks....We all call....4 to the flop

9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB bets....Straddler mucks...MP calls...I raise.....SB 3 bets...MP mucks..I call...Should I have mucked here....I put her on an overpair immediately....

Turn produces a 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB bets...I call...

River is a 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif .....SB bets...I think for a moment....and decide to muck...

Should I have mucked the flop 3 bet to save the trouble...

Thanks in advance...

Ed Miller
01-07-2003, 10:31 AM
You can't muck to the 3-bet... you have five outs to beat an overpair with 15 bets in the pot, and you have a backdoor flush draw as well. I think you played the hand just fine, except that I would have raised preflop with a strong hand like that on the button.

nicky g
01-07-2003, 11:41 AM
i think having (rightly) called the turn, you have to strongly consider calling the river. it's a biggish pot and you have to be pretty sure you will never run into a worse hand here to muck or you are losing a lot. against a player i knew well and could be sure i would muck, against someone i didn't know too well i would call, they could show up often enough with A-big here or some other nonsense to make a call necessary. you're getting 10-1, surely you are better than that to be winning.

nicky g
01-07-2003, 11:43 AM
ps you also might semibluff raise the turn with top pair and the nut flush draw.

Bob T.
01-07-2003, 05:30 PM
I think the size of the pot, and your curiosity combbine to make this a call on the river. You won't lay awake all night wondering whether you should have called, and you will win some of the time.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

Ed Miller
01-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Against many an old lady, you are ahead nowhere near 1 in 11 here. Many old ladies would not exhibit that betting pattern even once in a year without an overpair. As for semibluffing the turn... again, most players of this type would not lay down the overpair.

nicky g
01-08-2003, 08:09 AM
yeah i think you are right about the semi-bluff; it may just be worth a try in position IF you were going to call on the river any way, as it will likely prevent a bet on the river.
as for calling on the river: while clearly if you're up against an obvious rock/old-lady type ll player you would fold here, there are many lowlimit players who could be more likely than 11-1 to be pushing a-k or even complete garbage; a lot off ll players bluff much more than they shou, and have very little idea of what a good hand is anyway. but it's very marginal.