PDA

View Full Version : Oops!!!

manku
01-07-2003, 01:15 AM
I've never really played PL Omaha Hi, so I decided to give it wack on PP, .50/1.00 blinds/ $50 table. I buy in for $25, better than average stack at time.

I've built it to $50 and feel OK, not great. Shocking, I had doubled my stack when the flop came 9JK diamonds, I have toptwo, and I get a caller. I don't improve and win the whole pot. I was shocked.

Anyway, along comes this hand.

A bunch of limpers preflop, I'm in BB with 4-10-J-Q. I check.

Flop: 2-J-K, rainbow. I check. Player to my left bets $1.00. Two callers, I call.

Turn:: 7, giving me middle two pair, but still nut straight draw. I check, better bets $3.00. I'm the only caller.

River: J. Filling me up.

I check with the intention of check raising. He bets pot, I raise, He reraises pot.

I consider my options:

Reraise: Not a great move, considering he could easily have JK.

Fold: Really hate doing this, esp. since I don't know player.

Call: Which I did, to be shown KK.

Forget about the play up to the river. On the river, once I'm reraised, do I fold?

Manku

PS. I'm sticking to HE and O8 from now on /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Matt Flynn
01-07-2003, 12:02 PM
You've played too much holdem. It's gonna kill you in this game. Omaha is a game of the nuts. If you're betting, you either have them or you are them.

On the flop check-call if it's not raised.

On the turn, call if he'd pay off the straight on the river.

On the river, check-call. Low full house is trash but enough for a cheap showdown.

nicky g
01-07-2003, 12:17 PM
no decent player is going to reraise the river if he isn't beating you. that said, there are plenty of not very good players on pp .50/1 plo games. the more i play pl, the more i realise you really have to know your players - if he is a good player you have to fold, though it's hard to fold a full house and takes a lot of hard knocks before this gets through. when you don't know the player and you're out of position you are much better-off just checking and calling (remember you were drawing to the nuts and missed, even if you did hit a non-nut fullhouse) or betting out and folding to a raise, rather than check-raising. in omaha, if people are very confidently representing the nuts they probably have them, even in situations where it doesn't seem to makes sense. in this situation it very much does make sense.

MD_
01-16-2003, 07:15 PM
You've got to ask yourself what he could have. He bet out on each street. On the flop, maybe he's betting a straight draw. Once he bets again on the turn, you can be pretty sure you're beat at that point. With only a draw he'll take the freebie. I'm not sure whether the turn card was a 7 or a 4 from your post, but on the river the only hands he could have that you beat are 22 and 44 (or 77) and if he's a decent player he probably won't bet either. I think you could make a good case for check-folding the river. I think the only reason you can call is because you've shown so much weakness that he might be inclined to bet one of the aformentioned small houses may indeed be bluffing all the way with a straight draw.

-MD