PDA

View Full Version : interleague play *or* DH vs no DH

sublime
06-08-2005, 11:43 PM
personally i like interleague play, but i do think it has some flaws. first and foremost being the schedule unbalance between teams fighting for playoff spots. also the lack of DH in the NL is beyond nostalgic now. its just retarded.

gunt
06-08-2005, 11:46 PM
i agree... NL has it all wrong, every team basically has a retard for a nine hitter. David Ortiz is good for baseball...GO SOX!!!!

sublime
06-08-2005, 11:50 PM
somebody will post how it creates strategy and all that. i prefer to see athletes do what they are best at, pitchers pitch and hitters hit. seeing david wells run tonight made me want to electrocute my nutsack.

06-08-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
somebody will post how it creates strategy and all that. i prefer to see athletes do what they are best at, pitchers pitch and hitters hit. seeing david wells run tonight made me want to electrocute my nutsack.

[/ QUOTE ]

It creates strategy.

But why stop there. Why should Mike Piazza play the field when he's no good at it? Let's have each team's lineup be the 9 best hitters and in the field play the best 9 fielders.

Or we can play the game known as "baseball".

gunt
06-09-2005, 12:00 AM
sublime, this may be a stupid question , but did the sox win tonite?... espn.com isn't working on my computer for some reason.. just moved to vegas from boston a few months back.

sublime
06-09-2005, 12:02 AM

please, don't take a valid argument that i have and distort it to make it look silly.

just because it was played with no DH for umpteen years, doesn't means its the better way. changes are always made for the better of the game, why not make this one?

sublime
06-09-2005, 12:03 AM
3-0 sox in the T7th

wells pitching a very good game

06-09-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

please, don't take a valid argument that i have and distort it to make it look silly.

just because it was played with no DH for umpteen years, doesn't means its the better way. changes are always made for the better of the game, why not make this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, thought I was responding to Dead. My bad.

gunt
06-09-2005, 12:20 AM
DH is good for the game...no argument
watching pitchers trying to hit is like watching a train wreck...you can't look away.

RacersEdge
06-09-2005, 12:23 AM
How is playing by the original rules being "nostalgic"? The DH is a joke - removes a lot of strategy from the game. Time for the AL to end the experiment.

CCass
06-09-2005, 12:26 AM
The DH is 1 of the 2 worst things to ever happen to baseball. The other is astro turf.

Jack of Arcades
06-09-2005, 12:26 AM
I like the dichotomy of the leagues now. AL vs NL. That's great. Ditch interleague. Have separate umps and presidents. Make them completely different and they only see each other in the WS.

John Kruk
06-09-2005, 12:27 AM
The DH destroys the game of baseball. It's disgusting and pathetic. Maybe if Big Bud was as smart as his crippled counterpart, the MLB would be more popular.

http://montreal.cbc.ca/gfx/Montreal/photos/selig_bud20031109.jpg

http://www.showbizireland.com/images/stars2/hawking-conference2.jpg

gunt
06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
anyone that says the DH is bad for baseball is obviously from a city with some non competitive team that likes to see people fail because they are miserable.

RacersEdge
06-09-2005, 12:37 AM
I like to watch an AL manager screw up the double switch.. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sublime
06-09-2005, 01:06 AM
i just dont like the pitcher hitting. its a joke 90% of the time, and usually a giveaway out.

ripdog
06-09-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be that the quality pitchers in amateur ball were also among the team leaders in hitting. WTF happened? I don't get how these guys grew up playing ball morning, noon and night and never learned how to hit. I don't like the DH (sorry Edgar). And I don't see how you can bitch about watching a pitcher run or swing the bat after seeing Manny Ramirez stumble around left-field. THAT is a disgrace. If you're not good enough to field a position, you don't belong in the game.

Jack of Arcades
06-09-2005, 01:28 AM
As the talent level rises, things head towards specialization. That's how it goes.

sublime
06-09-2005, 01:31 AM
And I don't see how you can bitch about watching a pitcher run or swing the bat after seeing Manny Ramirez stumble around left-field. THAT is a disgrace. If you're not good enough to field a position, you don't belong in the game.

ummm, manny is an average fielder, but i get your point.

Jack of Arcades
06-09-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And I don't see how you can bitch about watching a pitcher run or swing the bat after seeing Manny Ramirez stumble around left-field. THAT is a disgrace. If you're not good enough to field a position, you don't belong in the game.

ummm, manny is an average fielder, but i get your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from it, Manny is one of the worst fielders in the league.

Clarkmeister
06-09-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

But why stop there. Why should Mike Piazza play the field when he's no good at it? Let's have each team's lineup be the 9 best hitters and in the field play the best 9 fielders.

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime
06-09-2005, 02:39 AM

according to what? i watch him on a nightly basis, and he doesnt run around like an idiot like the poster said. hes servicable, and comparing mannys fielding to a pitcher getting up at bat is absurd.

sublime
06-09-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lame. its not the same thing, one league does it one way and the other league does it differently. i prefer they both do it the same (especially with interleague play) and IMO the DH > pitcher hitting. sure some strategy is lost, but the fact that a .132 hitter doesn't step to the plate 3 times a game more than makes up for it IMO.

istewart
06-09-2005, 02:44 AM
He's pretty bad, sublime.

sublime
06-09-2005, 02:51 AM
no matter how bad he is, he is not a farce on the field. as opposed to 90% of the pitcher AB's i see.

sublime
06-09-2005, 02:53 AM
leave manny alone!

hahahaha

A Friggin Cow
06-09-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The DH is 1 of the 2 worst things to ever happen to baseball. The other is astro turf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate pooping plastic.

Mooooo!

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-09-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the dichotomy of the leagues now. AL vs NL. That's great. Ditch interleague. Have separate umps and presidents. Make them completely different and they only see each other in the WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
personally i like interleague play, but i do think it has some flaws. first and foremost being the schedule unbalance between teams fighting for playoff spots. also the DH in the AL is beyond nostalgic now. its just retarted.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i prefer to see athletes do what they are best at, pitchers pitch and hitters hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hell, then let's have separate fielders and hitters. Why make all these guys that are great fielders hit? They could have 9 fielders and 9 different hitters. And then how about 9 different base runners too? They could all be great sprinters. That way we could only have to see the players doing what they're best at. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much did that on your own.

sublime
06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Well hell, then let's have separate fielders and hitters. Why make all these guys that are great fielders hit? They could have 9 fielders and 9 different hitters. And then how about 9 different base runners too? They could all be great sprinters. That way we could only have to see the players doing what they're best at

yeah, like been said three times already

sublime
06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
You pretty much did that on your own.

really? please explain. my argument is valid(if it wasnt there would be no DH to begin with), whether or not you agree with it is your choice.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
really? please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

By pretending that the DH is any less silly than the other proposals for hitters, runners & fielders. And for not knowing ahead of time that everyone would propose that as the response to your seeing-players-do-what-they-do-best argument. Ya had to know that was coming. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sublime
06-09-2005, 10:16 AM
By pretending that the DH is any less silly than the other proposals for hitters, runners & fielders

again, if you think the DH is silly thats your opinion and i can see the reasons why. it still doesn't make my argument any less strong.

And for not knowing ahead of time that everyone would propose that as the response to your seeing-players-do-what-they-do-best argument

sorry, for the nittier posters i should have said 'position players' hit and pitchers pitch. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ya had to know that was coming.

i didnt quite see it coming the THIRD time.

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i didnt quite see it coming the THIRD time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I really should read through the whole thread before posting. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sublime
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Yes. I really should read through the whole thread before posting

well niss's post was the third response to the thread, kinda figured you read it. maybe ill start giving you credit for original humor.

btw, i dont understand something. you quoted my original post without typing a response, then later on decide that you dont agree with it. i am confused /images/graemlins/confused.gif which one was it?

btw- yeah, i am cranky today, oh well /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jakethebake
06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, i dont understand something. you quoted my original post without typing a response, then later on decide that you dont agree with it. i am confused /images/graemlins/confused.gif which one was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my quoted response more closely. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sublime
06-09-2005, 11:00 AM
clever

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-09-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my quoted response more closely. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That was a bit of a low blow - you need it bolded with a FYP.

Aces McGee
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the dichotomy of the leagues now. AL vs NL. That's great. Ditch interleague. Have separate umps and presidents. Make them completely different and they only see each other in the WS

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that NL teams are at a serious disadvantage in the World Series, when they have to play as many as 3 or 4 games in the AL ballpark. NL rosters are not built for having a DH.

-McGee

Jack of Arcades
06-09-2005, 12:46 PM
And many AL Teams like Boston and Seattle of yesteryear are built around having a big bat at DH that they have to sit or play the field in NL parks.

Voltron87
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
the NL should just take the DH. 95% of the games I watch are AL games, so whenever I see a NL or interleague yankee game I look forward to watching the pitcher hit, and after 3-4 times it just gets old. and please, all that stuff about how it adds more strategy is bullshit, it adds very little.

06-09-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all that stuff about how it adds more strategy is bullshit, it adds very little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the know-it-all that doesn't watch national league baseball.

Voltron87
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
wow, a very informative rebuttal indeed.

Jack of Arcades
06-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm a Braves fan. It has the *potential* to add more strategy, but managers do the same thing over and over again so that most of their decisions are automatic.

Voltron87
06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
I mean, occaisionally it adds a bit of a twist, but there are people who act like it is an earth shattering factor, which is just not true.

06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Braves fan. It has the *potential* to add more strategy, but managers do the same thing over and over again so that most of their decisions are automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you mean by this. That managers pinch hit for pitchers late in games when games are close? Or when they are losing? And then the other side makes a pitching change to counter the pinch hitter? And then the hitting team puts up a different hitter to counter the pinch hitter?

Yes, I agree this happens all the time in NL games. It doesn't happen in AL games, as they don't pinch hit for the pitcher. So I don't think the issue is whether it's the same strategy happening over and over. I don't think you're going to get much of a different strategy. The issue is that strategy happens in NL games and it doesn't happen in AL games. If you find the pinch hitting aspect of the NL game to be tiresome and repetitive, then you will favor of the DH. I prefer the strategy -- even if it is generally "automatic" from game to game -- over the DH. A team's bench becomes more valuable, and to a lesser degree the manager's game management becomes more important.

jedi
06-09-2005, 03:20 PM
(repeating an argument) If we're going to specialize, we should do it all the way, whoever you want to hit, whoever you want to pitch/field.

Otherwise, you put your best 9 players in your lineup, and take the good with the bad. The '86 Mets did just fine with 3 DH's playing the field (Strawberry, McReynolds, HoJo)

Pitchers just need to learn how to hit. Most of them could hit in high school/college, why can't they just keep taking batting practice and work on hitting?

chucksim
06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how he distorted your original argument, nor have you proven how having the DH is "better" for the game.

Personally, I don't like it. Strategy and lineup management is not at such a high value when you don't have to decide what to do around a guy who probably won't get a hit.

I love baseball for the strategy and subtile moves involved throughout the game. Most DH fans want to see 15-13 homerun fests.....I'm happy with a 2-1 pitchers duel.

Vince Young
06-10-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just dont like the pitcher hitting. its a joke 90% of the time, and usually a giveaway out.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/MLB/Headshots/3933.jpg

GMan42
06-11-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

according to what? i watch him on a nightly basis, and he doesnt run around like an idiot like the poster said. hes servicable, and comparing mannys fielding to a pitcher getting up at bat is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's that bad either, but when he does make a bonehead play it's usually bad enough to make the highlight reel (like that time he made that diving cutoff of a Damon throw for no apparent reason whatosever) so he gets a worse reputation than he should.

As far as the DH goes, I don't think I'd mind seeing it go. If they decide to get rid of it, though, MLB should wait like 5 years before implementing it, so that teams that just signed an Edgar Martinez-type player to a multi-year deal don't cry foul over it.