PDA

View Full Version : Another Good Read: Word Freak

John Cole
01-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Catching up a bit on my reading over the break, and I just finished Stefan Fatsis's Word Freak. It's his look at the competitive world of Scrabble players, and, in addition, his own descent into Scrabble addiction. The book is filled with offbeat characters from the Scrabble world, and Fatsis deftly weaves together the players, the competitions, his own pursuit of expertise, and the history of the game.

I do have one burning question, though. Fatsis concentrates on the unconventional types who play the game, and, although he does concede that normal people play the game, he avoids them becuase their stories don't make for great reading. We only get glimpses at the so-called "normal" players. One player, though, gets less coverage than the real eccentrics, but a bit more than the normal players. His name is Jim Geary, a former poster here, and RGP regular. Somehow I get the feeling that Jim deserves his own chapter. Can anyone (John Feeney?) confirm this?

Anyway, it's a fun read.

John

HDPM
01-06-2003, 11:13 PM
This post can be used against you in a Montana court of law. Just so you know.

Ray Zee
01-07-2003, 12:27 AM
forget about the court of law. i got a giant cottonwood tree in my back yard with a nice branch sticking out that has john coles name on it and a rope in the back of my pickup truck.

snakehead
01-07-2003, 03:22 AM
if jimbo is in the book, I'll have to check it out. I play poker with him several times a week. for a little more insight into this character, check out:

his web page (http://www.jimgeary.com)

scalf
01-07-2003, 08:38 AM
/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif 1. congrats on passing cap of kentucky quiz..only 15% of kentucky residentd get this right....

2. i have often wondered why you do not play competitive scrabble...and possibly bridge or chess...really causes cognitive dysfunction for me: it does not compute...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Rick Nebiolo
01-07-2003, 02:03 PM
scalf,

John Cole and I were "dorm" bridge partners in college (University of Rhode Island). The only problem is that we mostly played against our friends, and since they didn't really bother to learn to bid well, they cheated instead. (John-I still have an image of Nancy scowling at Andy in response to one of his bids)

Anyway, one time we went to a local bridge club and played a duplicate tournament. We were the only competitors that had our original teeth (I would have said hair and original teeth but I caught myself). Even the Normandie 15/30 lowball game has younger players.

Regards,

Rick

John Feeney
01-08-2003, 05:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
One player, though, gets less coverage than the real eccentrics, but ... Somehow I get the feeling that Jim deserves his own chapter. Can anyone (John Feeney?) confirm this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only confrim that Jim really ought to get what he deserves. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

John Cole
01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
John,

Remind me never to have you write a recommendation for me. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

John

snakehead
01-10-2003, 05:12 AM
in case you missed it, here is his latest entry on rgp:

handicapping the handicappers (http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;selm=Pine.SUN.3.95.1030108233849.24047C-100000%40unix1.netaxs.com)

to know him is to fear his posts.