PDA

View Full Version : was this a bad spot to push?

DMACM
06-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I thought my opponent was good because he seemed to be making good use of his stack and playing aggressive therefore i thought he would have tight calling standards. Then again he cuold only be so good and still play the 11s plus calling me wouldnt hurt him that much. I wanted to play for first and not let him bully me and the small stack but i think this move was too aggressive.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1830)
BB (t5060)
Button (t1110)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t1630.
i pushed
Flop: (t1930) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t1930) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1930) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1930

lastchance
06-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't know. T2o just isn't to my standard with 10x BB here. I fold, though it might be a leak.

Sidekick
06-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Before I do the hand analysis part I'm going to make a personal comment. I think it's a mistake on your part to assume that just because someone is playing in a $11 tournament that they aren't good. Very good players can find themselves down at the lower buy ins for a variety of reasons (ranging from needing most of their BR for an emergency, a really bad run of tournaments or just showing some friends over at his house how to play in lower buy in games by example), so I would avoid making the assumption that a player isn't good just because of the buy in level of the tournament.

There are a couple of things to consider on this hand. First and foremost is that BB has a very large chip lead and is a very aggressive player. You have to figure there is a good chance you are going to get called here and your hand really can't stand to be called. If you fold you still have about 8.5 times the BB so you aren't hurting.

There is also the fact that small stack is about to get hit for over 1/4 of his stack over the next two hands with big stack being on the button and aggressive. I would figure that big stack will raise/push into small stack next hand which could well eliminate small stack from the tournement.

With the chips stacks as they are, the very aggressive chip leader able to push into small stack while small stack is in the blinds, I think this is an easy fold.

Sometimes we all get blinded by certain mental patterns in our play. This situation is a good example. Quite frequently pushing from the SB with any two is a very good play. But in this instance you have a very aggressive player with a large chip lead who gets to bully the short stack in the blinds. I personally think this is a good situation to sit back and wait for a better holding before making a steal attempt.

Hope this helps.

citanul
06-09-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. T2o just isn't to my standard with 10x BB here. I fold, though it might be a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, i think this is a fold. not because you have 10xbb, but because you opponent has tons behind.
citanul

GoldenHorde
06-09-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
eh, i think this is a fold. not because you have 10xbb, but because you opponent has 4xbb behind.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain has 25xBB's but oddly enough I think thats another reason to fold here, you have plenty of time to wait and pushing into a big stack with trash is not a good move here to win 300 chips.

citanul
06-09-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
eh, i think this is a fold. not because you have 10xbb, but because you opponent has tons behind.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain has 25xBB's but oddly enough I think thats another reason to fold here, you have plenty of time to wait and pushing into a big stack with trash is not a good move here to win 300 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, like i said, tons behind. don't know what you're talking about. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i can't read. i suck. the play still sucks.

PokerCat69
06-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Its an old trick, the big stack throws out a huge bet and both the smaller stacks are scared of going out next. The big stack grows while the remaining players stacks dwindle.

You know the large stack is playing junk, but you should at least hold something better to call with.

citanul
06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
dude, he pushed, not called.

citanul

DMACM
06-09-2005, 01:19 AM
these replies were helpful thanks guys.

PokerCat69
06-09-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, he pushed, not called.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]
my mistake. Regardless though, T2 is a bit weak to make a stand with. I'd need Ax, Kx, PP, or 2 cards totalling 18 minimum.