PDA

View Full Version : Loose 10 Man Tournament Question

HitmanHoldem
06-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm a tight player, and I'm wondering how to go about playing in this single table tournament I'll be in tonight.

I played in last week, top three pay out, we did two tournaments, and I got 4th and 5th. We started out with 1100 in chips I believe, blinds start at 10-25, then 25-50, 50-100, etc. Blinds move fast, as they go up every 15 minutes. Of the ten players, there are about two who are completely wreckless, playing some hands without even looking, at least two who are completely ignorant to the game, and look, but will play almost any two cards, about 3-4 okay players who can fold hands but are reluctant to, and then 1 or 2 relatively tight players.

So under these circumstances, what would be a general strategy to try and play by? Fast blinds, mostly poor players, peole who don't like to fold, etc.

Just sick and tired of playing tight, waiting for good hands, making money on those, but then finishing on the bubble because I'm so low stacked because I've been blinded. Any ideas?

The Yugoslavian
06-08-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just sick and tired of playing tight, waiting for good hands, making money on those, but then finishing on the bubble because I'm so low stacked because I've been blinded. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....go hog wild and have fun...it's +SoulEV a lot of the time.

If you do this by going allin every hand, then you also happen to increase your GangstaEV as well...which is a nice added bonus.

Yugoslav

lastchance
06-08-2005, 08:12 PM
You still need to push because of the structure, unfortunately. Loosen your calling requirements somewhat, tighten your pushing requirements, and really get value on your good hands. All I can say.

RiverDood
06-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Make some noise. Pick out a couple of the weaker players and talk at them early on. "You know, I think I'm going to double up on this hand." "Jeez, I must be getting cards from a pinochle deck. I haven't seen anything lower than a 9 this orbit." Chatter away in a good-natured way that isn't grossly offensive, but has a bit of a goading quality to it.

Then throw away junky hands, especially if you end up making lots of noise, limping at Level 1 and then folding to a raise. You're positioning yourself as an out-of-control maniac, even if you're still playing your regular game.

When you've got cards, keep chattering. "Here we go again." The newbies will be itching to bust you out -- because it seems clear you're trying to run over the table with garbage. You should be able to raise up the pot with no trouble.

This obviously won't work if you never get cards, or if your KK runs into an A on the flop. Then you'll finish 9th. But it should get you lots of action -- which is what you want. Double through someone, and then you can play serious poker as a big stack.

Do this, and there's no way you should finish 4th. It's the winner's circle or dust.

HitmanHoldem
06-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Any other ideas?