PDA

View Full Version : anyone see that cool hp commercial with the empty picture frames?

Eihli
06-08-2005, 07:27 PM
i didn't really think there was anything they could do with cameras and computers that would impress me, i'm sure it's simpler than i think, but i'm kinda curious as to how they did that.

GuyOnTilt
06-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Google is hard.

GoT

Pocket Trips
06-08-2005, 07:36 PM
not sure how they did it either but i love the song in that commercial

NoTalent
06-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Isn't that a cure song?

Pocket Trips
06-08-2005, 07:52 PM
not the one I'm thinking of ... but if the cure was gonna have a song used in a photography-related commercial it would be pictures of you... the ad I am thinking of is the one with the picture frames that pauses every second or 2 and the thing it freezes on gets passed to the next person

gorie
06-08-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that a cure song?

[/ QUOTE ]
it is "picture book" by the kinks.

Pocket Trips
06-08-2005, 08:01 PM
wow cool didn't even recognize ray davies voice.. i will have to get that song asap

thanks gorie

Dominic
06-08-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didn't really think there was anything they could do with cameras and computers that would impress me, i'm sure it's simpler than i think, but i'm kinda curious as to how they did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a film and video editor...just by watching those commercials, it doesn't look at all difficult to duplicate, but it is an amazing effect.

Basically, they're taking empty picture frames - all there is is a white border - nothing inside - and passing it around, moving it through space, etc.

Whatever picture they want to freeze there, is one they just take and place in the picture frame. They get it to move with the picture frame by a simple graphics compositing tool called "key-frames." Basically, it's graphic points in 2D space that represent the picture and move it to wherever you want it.

For those of you who have no idea what key frames are or are not a compositor, everything I said is probably gibberish. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I did...

It is fairly simple, though.

Oski
06-08-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a film and video editor... They get it to move with the picture frame by a simple graphics compositing tool called "key-frames."

It is fairly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might help.

thirddan
06-08-2005, 11:37 PM
im a vfx artist...basically the four points of the picture frame are tracked so that their locations on screen are held separately...then those points are used to pin the corners of the images inside the frame to the points on the actual frame...so a duplicate of the background (what will be the picture) is "tracked" into the frame using the data points...

hopefully that makes sense...

Dominic
06-09-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im a vfx artist...basically the four points of the picture frame are tracked so that their locations on screen are held separately...then those points are used to pin the corners of the images inside the frame to the points on the actual frame...so a duplicate of the background (what will be the picture) is "tracked" into the frame using the data points...

hopefully that makes sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...yeah, what HE said! Excellent explanation.