View Full Version : A bonafide loser at .5/1 but a winner at .25/.50 - post your thoughts.

dawade
06-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Ok so I followed Homer's bankroll building guide and eventually amassed my $500 where I deposited it all onto Party Poker - that's when all hell broke loose. For SOME reason I cannot and have not been able to beat the Party Poker games (.5/1, 1/2). I know this sounds bizarre but I am doing HORRIBLE.

I'm not sure what is going on here but I cannot post a winning session at .5/1 - what worries me is that people claim that .5/1 is so much easier than .25/.50 AND IT USED TO BE! I played .5/1 religiously at Paradise Poker to clear the GRANNY bonus and had no problems. Party is the fish tank and I'm the one being eaten by the sharks it seems!

I've only played 787 hands at PP .5/1 so MAYBE I haven't logged enough hands yet to be sure this is a trend, but now I'm beginning to wonder why keep playing if I'm doing nothing but losing money? I think I'm going to cash out and head back to Paradise or Poker Stars (I have fared quite well at both!)

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? If one limit (.5/1) is this bad for me, I'm afraid to think about making the jump to 1/2, 2/4, 3/6, etc...

Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated!

itsmesteve
06-08-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only played 787 hands at PP .5/1 so I DEFINITELY haven't logged enough hands yet to be sure this is a trend

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Bungler
06-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Mabye you are not ready to make the jump up limits yet. Theres nothing wrong with that, just keep working on your game and you will eventually move up.

And yes the sample size for .5/1 is way too small to find anything useful in the numbers.

shadow29
06-08-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only played 787 hands at PP .5/1

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost 100 BBs in 830 hands before.

SCfuji
06-08-2005, 07:34 PM
show-off

dawade
06-08-2005, 07:39 PM
so should I stay at .5/1 since my sample size is so small? I'm not sure what to chalk the losing streak up to but it's been going on for quite some time.

shadow29
06-08-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so should I stay at .5/1 since my sample size is so small? I'm not sure what to chalk the losing streak up to but it's been going on for quite some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

700 hands is not some time. I've played 700 hands in a little less than 2 hours at .5/1 before. Tough it out if you've got the BR.

webgator
06-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Could just be you hit a bad run of cards.

A little insight...the first Party bonus I cleared I was up 40bb plus the bonus. The next bonus I was down 50 bb plus the bonus. Third bonus I'm back up 45bb. I'm working my fourth bonus now and up another 20bb.

Maybe tighten up a little. I've been re-reading some books sections and have beeen gaining a little more confidence as I play more hands.

ClaytonN
06-09-2005, 12:47 AM
From the PM you gave me, your play at .5/1 is easily one of the reasons you aren't succeeding.

However, this is typical among newcomers to higher levels. You tend to get overly passive instead of aggressive.

And yea, you've not played enough hands.

trainslayer
06-09-2005, 01:04 AM
I started out at stars about 2 years ago. Busted out 5 or 6 times before I found 2+2. I have since played .25/.50 exclusively except for about 800 hands at .50/1.00 clearing the last bonus and a stab at the $3.00 sunday sats every once in a while. 17k hands since Feb.(when I bought PT) at .25/.50 and I'm at ~6bb/100. I've recovered all I lost and cashed it out and almost have enuf of a roll to move to .50/1.00. The 800 hands at .50/1.00 have me at ~ -3bb/100. I'm a little nervous that I'm not ready for the move but what the hell. 800 hands ain't enuf to tell and I can always move back down if I don't do so well. But I will be movin' up and I expect that I will do well there too. Keep your chin up.

billy51
06-09-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you losing because the cards are running bad or are you being outplayed? Are you losing to suckouts and miracle cards, or are you spewing chips and going on tilt? If you feel like you are playing well enough to beat the game, stay where you are for a while. Like many others have said, even very good players experience downswings.

Stinkybeaver
06-09-2005, 02:27 AM
I've tried prety much the same. Coming from paradise 0,25/0,50 where i did slightly above 4bb/100 I tried party. I didn't played good.

I'm on my second try now And it seems that reading SSH is taking me there I've almost recovered al my previous losses.

Things I've changed in my play.

1. I don't play very many low SC because some of the tables I've been played on have been quite tight actually.

2. I've stopped playing small pairs from EP. (I play 88 and up ofcourse)

3. I'm way more aggressive.

4. Even though party 0,5/1,0 is knowned to be very loose I think you need to be somewhat tight yourself.

Just my thoughts on this.