PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

FieryJustice
06-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Ok...first off, feel free to flame away, as this post goes totally aganist what logic tells me.....I just dont understand what it going on. Anyways, for the last week or so, I have been waking up around noon, playing somewhere between 10 and 20 sngs and EVERY day I have been up somewhere between 5 and 10 buyins. After playing for a few hours, I would take a break, come back and procede to lose a little more than a won earlier. To my knowledge, I have been playing the same at all times. So, I am going to play my 10-20 games when I wake up and take my 5-10 buyins and be happy. It only makes sense to me that the more I play, the more I will win, but I am starting to think this may not be the case, as people who play in the day my play very different from people at night. Today I woke up, played 12 games and was up 5 buyins. I will be fine accepting this if I can make 5 buyins a day, every day, but it just amazes me that I can play for a little while in the morning, 7 days in a row, then lose what I won later that night. Does anyone ever had a similar problem to this? OK...let the flaming begin.

treeofwisdom7
06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
play more in the morn . you prolly need to go to the gym too

microbet
06-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I believe I have this problem under control, sort of, but my typical pattern is more like lose first and then win later. I'm pretty sure it had to do with tilt and lack of focus for me. Could be different players at different times or variance for you though.

Phoenix1010
Sample size blah blah coincidence blah.

Do you find that the games are objectively tougher during the night? Or do you just feel that the kinds of games during the day are easier for your style of play? Do you notice any difference in the kinds of players that play during the day versus the ones at night? Curious.

-Phoenix

FieryJustice
Nah...I am still skinny. I am getting a little fatter though. I think jogging about a mile a day will take care of that though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
06-08-2005, 06:28 PM
I was listening to Fischman talk about quasi-similar stastical phenomenon as if it were meaningful. He would say 'I know this doesn't make any sense but....and how do you explain that?!?! I mean, it's just too impossible.....' He was saying 'I don't believe in this kind of stuff' only to then basically admit he believed it. He's a very smart guy....and probably does very well not letting the 'results' get to him too much (as in he knows he's v good but doesn't think he's the greatest ever just for going 1 and then 2 in the same event 2 years in a row).

Anyway, the statistics or whatever you're talking about aren't really meaningful in any way....unless it can give you some sort of psychological or mental boost to your game/life.

The other problem with your antecdotal ramblings is that they do not inspire a large sample and do not sound necessarily accurate. You could *easily* think that your results are as you state when, in fact, they are quite different. Unless you have a very detailed log of times and results it's not even clear that this pattern even actually exists in your reality.

Of course, even if it did...it doesn't really matter.

I'd put much more weight into thinking I played bad at a certain time...if...perhaps, I always seem to feel 'dead' or 'tired' during that part of the day. Or if my opponents are making fewer mistakes or better plays. *That* would actually worry me and/or make me pause to think.

Yugoslav

FieryJustice
06-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, people at nigth call my allins more and my AK or 32 usually loses. I dont really know what else to say becuase they call more. I would think this would be a good thing, but it isnt. Zero fold equity is bad for me.

The Yugoslavian
06-08-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, people at nigth call my allins more and my AK or 32 usually loses. I dont really know what else to say becuase they call more. I would think this would be a good thing, but it isnt. Zero fold equity is bad for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should talk to TheUsher...he's convinced that the after night games (like very late night or dead times at Party) are as profitable or moreso b/c of the FE there is. The idea being there are tighter players but they allow you to exploit their 'mistakes' for the same amount of $$.

Yugoslav

Phoenix1010
06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is what I was figuring. The games should be easier at night. Adjusting to them isn't always easy though. I think you should stick it out and get a better feel for adjusting to games with lower fold equity. It's definitely a good thing when you learn how to use it. Your maximum potential ROI is likely to be much higher at night, don't shy away from it.

-Phoenix

FieryJustice
06-08-2005, 06:35 PM
The weird thing is that I feel "dead" in the morning...around noon. I DO keep records of the times I play. After 5 PM or so, I start to lose. I have noticed before that when I am REALLY REALLY tired, I get itm without even knowing it and I have no clue where my chips came from. That is irrelevant though. I do have a small sample, only like 300 or so games, where this pattern has occured, but I think I am going to try playing only 10-20 games a day in the morning for about a week and see what happens, even though I want to play as much as possible.

Apathy
06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Don't take this the wrong way because I think you play SNGs very well, but you really just need to learn how to adjust, not just to time of day, but to the texture of each table, and each individual player. You are a very good player but you could be great if you adjusted.

The games at night should be played differently then those during the day in general and if you aren't adjusting then this trend of yours is not surprising. (I am strictly speaking of 215s btw for the lurkers out there, but this may apply to other levels as well).

FieryJustice
06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Before I quit my job, I would usually get off work around midnight and play til 6 AM or so...When I played that late at night, I was usually VERY tired and didnt pay attention at all. During the times where I played a lot during the late night, midnight - 6 am, I had 20% roi over the 500 or so games while i had the real job. I guess I am just trying to get back to the point of having a "good" roi. If I have to play much less to get it, so be it.

dhende3
06-08-2005, 07:02 PM
From my limited railbirding of the 215s I have to say that you are the most aggressive player (make some loose calls also) and in my opinion the best (vs. the other top players at least). I saw ComeOnPhish push into you on the bubble one time at level 6 (4 handed) when you both had T1800 and you called with 22 in the BB. Plays like that seem to make players hesitant to push into you, hence increasing your results versus the regulars. More regulars are playing during the day and more randoms are playing during the night. The randoms won't remember your loose standards and won't be scared. This is why these plays are probably more -EV at night.

FieryJustice
06-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Wonderful observation...I didnt even think about that. I am kinda stupid...I DO make random "bad" calls like that, aganist the people I play with again and again for just that reason, plus I figured I would be about 50/50 to win it and with the blinds out there, it almost makes it ok. That makes perfect sense to me. Thank you. I am happy now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChuckyB
06-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm still early into SNGs...I've found on PP they're tougher during the day/early evening (Central Time). After midnight...it's free money

Moonsugar
06-08-2005, 07:10 PM
bad varience

raptor517
06-08-2005, 07:14 PM
ah, but what do you consider a GOOD roi? 10% is a GREAT roi. you have yer goals a bit too high i think, and you will continually be dissapointed, which is not the best way to go about playing poker. holla

FieryJustice
06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I need to lower my "good" roi to 19%...maybe I can maintain that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

raptor517
06-08-2005, 07:20 PM
if i were you, i would lower yer 'good' roi to 5%, and yer amazing roi to 10%. then, you can be WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!! at 19%. holla