PDA

View Full Version : Set vs. possible flush on the turn

kaf22
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey guys, a hand from last night that I'd like your opinions on:

At this point I'm new to the table, first time seeing both MP2 & MP3. In the 5-10 min. I was there, I didn't see anything out of line.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Do you think the cap was ok here, or should I have just called and went for the check-raise on the turn if the 3rd heart doesn't come?

Turn: (9 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I didn't want to be a pansy and let the other guys take the initiative after the 3rd heart came out. But after MP3's raise, do you agree with my going into call down mode?

River: (15 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Thanks in advance,
Kaf

Weatherhead03
06-08-2005, 06:15 PM
I would think he would be playing a lower set then you IE 44, 88 unless he is really overplaying his nut flush draw.

SteveL91
06-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree with the reply you received. Barring a read, I don't assume the "typical player" will even bet, let alone 3-bet a draw. I'd 3-bet the turn, and call a cap. If he caps, check/call the river. If he has the flush, make a note about his willingness to pump a draw.

Twitch1977
06-08-2005, 06:31 PM
How is he overplaying his nut flush draw? Looks fine to me.

Three betting, while maybe not for any wild amount of value certainly isn't going to lose him money, plus it will almost certainly fold out the CO setting him up for a possible free card on the turn if no heart crops up.

I can see both sides of this pot.

On one hand I like the call down, it brings MP2 along for the ride, so even if you are ahead at this point MP2 will help make up for what you missed out on by not raising the turn and if you aren't ahead it minimizes your losses.

On the other hand if you are ahead at this point you want to raise to get MP2 and whatever half ass draw he's on out of there.

In this instance I would go with the call down though, I think you'll see a flush enough of the time that raising will net you little if anything.

Just my 2 cents.
T