PDA

View Full Version : Q9s UTG

bozlax
06-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Weird 1/2 table. Tighter than a nun's hoo-hoo, except for one guy 4 seats to my left that will raise if he has an ace in his hand (regardless of the other card or position), and the guy to my right who's spent the past 5 orbits trying to steal from me.

Also, the whole table is waaaaay too tight postflop, except Mr. Raise-The-Ace who will ride that ace all the way to the river.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

I figure this for another steal attempt, especially since I limped.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Oops. Got lucky, here. My plan is to call him down until he stops betting, then I'll start.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

No change to the plan.

River: (5.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Villan turned over AQo. I guess the only question is, can I get away with this preflop, given my read on the table (as I'm pretty sure I can outplay them postflop), or is this too loose?

Jaran
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Hmmmmm. Postflop, I like. PF, I think is a little loose for my tastes. Although, given the texture of the table you describe, I'm tempted to raise, and would do so in MP. Prolly fold though, I'm thinking.

-Jaran

gharp
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Given the "nun's hoo-hoo" read, this is a hand I'd muck from UTG. I think it plays better multi-way and it doesn't look like that's happening at this table.

I'd also raise the turn.

topspin
06-08-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tighter than a nun's hoo-hoo

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]

These seem a tad contradictory...

[ QUOTE ]
Villan turned over AQo. I guess the only question is, can I get away with this preflop, given my read on the table (as I'm pretty sure I can outplay them postflop), or is this too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Postflop looks good given your read. I still don't like the preflop limp though. "I can outplay them postflop" isn't as good an excuse for limping junk in limit since your edge postflop isn't as big as NL.

bozlax
06-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I agree that preflop was too loose, in retrospect, given the table texture. I was actually expecting at least one or two limpers since the table hadn't been folding around preflop very much, but then didn't get them.

Why raise the turn? I'm not afraid of anything, here, and I don't want to slow Villan down if he still thinks he might be able to scare me off. If I raise the turn I run the risks of a) him folding to the raise, or b) his check/folding the river. If I just call the turn I beleive he will continue to bet into me on the river and will call a raise out of necessity (it is 1/2 after all...I don't think there are many of the microdonk-bet-every-street-and-fold-to-a-river-raise-HU players left by the time you get up here). At the very least I think he will check/crying call the river, so regardless a turn raise at best leaves me even and may cost me one bet.

bozlax
06-08-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These seem a tad contradictory...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just a mess of contradictions /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop looks good given your read. I still don't like the preflop limp though. "I can outplay them postflop" isn't as good an excuse for limping junk in limit since your edge postflop isn't as big as NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Like I said in another response, I expected a COUPLE of limpers, but got none...oh, well.