PDA

View Full Version : Phillies trade Placido Polanco

DemonDeac
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
goes to Detroit Tigers for RP Urgueth Urbina and Utility IF
everyone saw it coming, although id rather of trade David Bell but Manuel has too much dedication to Buddy Bell, David's dad

so bullpen help for the Phighten Phils. your thoughts?

nolanfan34
06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I think they could have gotten more, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jack of Arcades
06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
What the hell do you think they'd get for Bell? He has no value.

DemonDeac
06-08-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell do you think they'd get for Bell? He has no value.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but id take another arm for the pen. he'd have to get something
i liked polanco at third with, obviously, utley at 2nd

wh1t3bread
06-08-2005, 04:43 PM
I guess Polanco was tradeable with Utley doing the job that he has been? I like it for the Phillies. Urbina and Wagner pitching the 8th and 9th is pretty nasty.

nolanfan34
06-08-2005, 04:43 PM
OK, to elaborate on my initial thoughts, I'm surprised they couldn't find a deal with the Twins. He seems like he'd be a good fit there, and they have some power arms in the majors and the upper minors. I guess they wouldn't part with Crain.

DemonDeac
06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
honestly, i dont know the twins well enough to comment, other than santana obviously

this is a nasty 8th and 9th inning combo. as long as we get our starter through the 6th, we're golden. rheal cormier or ryan madson(whos in his 2nd year and is ridiculous-NASTY changeup, for those of u who dont know) in the 7th and urbina in the 8th and wags to blow everyone away in the 9th

with the way we've been hitting and the starting pitching we've been gettin-with the possible exception of lidle-we're in good shape.

we needed this trade because the NL East is TOUGH AS HELL this year

Jack of Arcades
06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Nikcy Punto has a .351 OBP. They don't really need a second baseman....

samjjones
06-08-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, to elaborate on my initial thoughts, I'm surprised they couldn't find a deal with the Twins. He seems like he'd be a good fit there, and they have some power arms in the majors and the upper minors. I guess they wouldn't part with Crain.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Twins would have to be nuts (which they aren't) to trade Crain for Polanco. Polanco is a decent player, but c'mon. They should be happy to have gotten Urbina for him.

MarkL444
06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
nice, omar was pissing me off.

DemonDeac
06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nikcy Punto has a .351 OBP. They don't really need a second baseman....

[/ QUOTE ]

nick punto...........FORMER PHILLIE

samjjones
06-08-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly, i dont know the twins well enough to comment, other than santana obviously

this is a nasty 8th and 9th inning combo. as long as we get our starter through the 6th, we're golden. rheal cormier or ryan madson(whos in his 2nd year and is ridiculous-NASTY changeup, for those of u who dont know) in the 7th and urbina in the 8th and wags to blow everyone away in the 9th

with the way we've been hitting and the starting pitching we've been gettin-with the possible exception of lidle-we're in good shape.

we needed this trade because the NL East is TOUGH AS HELL this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with Jon Lieber as your #1, I wouldn't print up World Series tickets just yet...

Spartan1983
06-09-2005, 01:38 AM
I think Urbina was 8 for 8 in save situations while Percival was on the dl. This gives you a guy in the pen who can pitch just about everyday. He wants to be a closer, so he might not be quite as effective setting up Wagner.

gunt
06-09-2005, 01:40 AM
who cares?... you're not competitive.

Bulldog
06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Who's not competitive? The second-place Philadelphia Phillies, just 1.5 games out of first place and currently in a tie for the wild card spot?

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 03:35 PM
o hell yea we're competitive
we just beat the Texas Rangers 2-0 last nite
held them to ZERO runs, the most offensively productive team in the AL

thank you very much

BreakfastBurrito
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess Polanco was tradeable with Utley doing the job that he has been?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was going to be traded all along, it was just a matter of finding the right deal. I agree with DeamonDeac, I would much rather have seen them move Polanco to 3rd and bench or release Bell. The lineup is much more potent with Bell not in it. Overall though, this should help the Phillies, especially with Rheal Cormier back to his stinking awful ways.

How bout that Kenny Lofton?

Dubra
06-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Im more concerned about thomes lack of production. granted he just recently came off the dl but hasnt done much. if hes not 100% i wouldnt mind having him heal and plug ryan howard in the lineup

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
something u guys need to understand,
the reason that Bell is still here is the same reason that Thome will continue to play.

Charlie Manuel is a player's manager and is dedicated to his players. He's best buds with Bell's dad Buddy and is clearly dedicated to Thome cuz of their time in Cleveland.

Ryan Howard is prolly never going to play. hes just trade bait for another arm, most likely. unless, thome gets injured

Dead
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Who cares about the Phillies anyway?

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's that, [censored]?

Dead
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
You have to have that fat purple blob as your avatar. So you can't say anything.

BreakfastBurrito
06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a few people. Pledging your undying devotion to one of the worst franchises in all of sports is more rewarding than you could ever imagine.

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a few people. Pledging your undying devotion to one of the worst franchises in all of sports is more rewarding than you could ever imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said

Michael Davis
06-09-2005, 05:28 PM
How the hell does a thread about Placido Polanco--isn't he the guy that sung the national anthem in Naked Gun-- get 22 responses?

-Michael

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to have that fat purple blob as your avatar. So you can't say anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

it just disappeared one day and i cant find it

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How the hell does a thread about Placido Polanco--isn't he the guy that sung the national anthem in Naked Gun

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. actually thats enrico palazzo

but its because there is actual discussion going on, a rareity in OOT. haha

cab4656
06-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Okay, this is getting real interesting:

[ QUOTE ]
The Detroit Tigers had no choice but to trade Ugueth Urbina, after the relief pitcher drank too much and fought with teammates on the team flight to Los Angeles Sunday night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Source (http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1118139019191760.xml)

Any guesses on who fought with him? Has to be Dmitri Young.

MarkL444
06-09-2005, 06:48 PM
why would da meathook fight him? did i miss something?