PDA

View Full Version : Should I lay down top pair?

BWillie
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
.5/1 Royal Vegas (10 handed)

I just got to the table, so I have no real reads except on the button which is crazy aggressive if any of the flop hits him unless he has any kind of draw, he will be a call station.
BWillie dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Preflop:SB posts .25. BB posts .50. 2 folds. UTG+1 bets. Hero raises. Villain 3-bets. MP3 folds. CO folds. Button calls. SB folds. BB calls. UTG+1 folds. Hero calls.

(14 SB) Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (4 players)
BB checks. Hero checks. Villain bets. Button calls. BB folds. Hero raises. Villain calls. Button calls.

(10 BB)Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
Hero bets. Villain raises. Button calls. Hero 3-bets. Villain caps. Button calls. Hero calls.

(22 BB)River: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
Hero checks. Villain bets. Button folds. Hero calls.

Thoughts? Should I of 3-bet the turn given he bet out at me after my check raise?

Results
<font color="white"> Villain wins pot with 7h 8h. </font>

Jaran
06-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm just calling the turn raise. Not sure about the river. I think it might be worth a raise, since you are only behind one legit 3betpf hand, unless the villian has been seriously overplaying QQ.

-Jaran

davelin
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Hmmm...it's hard to think what you're ahead when you're raised on the turn. I'd just call the raise on the turn. The river is interesting, given you were capped on the turn it's hard to think that the Q helped.

PuckNPoker
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Id bet the flop, Villian will probably raise which does much more to protect your hand than check raising (which just builds the pot).

Turn bet good, 3 bet not so good.

River fine. &lt;-- Edit, actually betting out here isnt bad, I didnt even notice the Q helped you lol, pretty much eliminates your kicker problem against AK or A9. AA,QQ,99,8x is all you fear, enough for a bet and call of a raise.

bozlax
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I go into call-down when he raises me on the turn, with the paired board.

How do you come to have a read on the Button if you've only been at the table a couple of minutes?

Also, your results are screwed up. You gave Villan 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif but the 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif is on the board.

davelin
06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Id bet the flop, Villian will probably raise which does much more to protect your hand than check raising (which just builds the pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villain raises your flop bet, what are the chances you're ahead here?

LowDown22
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I might have just bet out on the flop here. I'm not real fond of checkraising on a drawish board like this with the other players trapped between you and the preflop 3bettor.

I'd just call the turn raise here.

On the river I would bet out and call a raise. I don't like checkraising here and paying off a 3bet.

PuckNPoker
06-08-2005, 04:16 PM
"crazy agressive" == maniac

topspin
06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
I think I'd rather lead the flop here because (1) I hate the flop getting checked through, (2) I hate trapping the field for two with just top pair, and (3) I hate getting 3-bet.

Given your play, just call down the turn. What do you think villain is raising your flop check-raise with that you beat?

LowDown22
06-08-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
*If* villain were to 3bet your flop checkraise wouldn't you still be inclined to call to the river with this pot size??

mildsauce
06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any reads, it's hard to say for sure, but I'd say we're behind.

I would bet out aswell. If I get raised, I go into call-down mode. If anything, I want to see what button capped with PF and how he played out the hand.

davelin
06-08-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
*If* villain were to 3bet your flop checkraise wouldn't you still be inclined to call to the river with this pot size??

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just as inclined if bet and raised on the flop. Check/raising the flop gets you more value when you're ahead and bloats the pot for your draw when you're ahead. Betting to induce the 3-bettor to help protect your hand needs a read that this opponent will raise something like KK or QQ here. Often when you're raised on the flop, it's to protect Villain's, not your hand.

davelin
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Without any reads, it's hard to say for sure, but I'd say we're behind.

I would bet out aswell. If I get raised, I go into call-down mode. If anything, I want to see what button capped with PF and how he played out the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button didn't cap pre-flop.

aK13
06-08-2005, 04:27 PM
If we call the turn raise, are we check/call the river? or bet/call?

mildsauce
06-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Oops, 3-bet. Sorry.

davelin
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we call the turn raise, are we check/call the river? or bet/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I like check/raise as an option as well. Between these two I'd probably bet/call.

BWillie
06-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Ya, Royal Vegas isn't on the converter list is it? The 7-8 was club suited. I wasn't worried about the crazy aggressive guy at all, I figured he had a ace rag suited or something on a flush draw. I've played with this guy before and have notes on him, and look for him at the .5/1 talbes because he gives his money away. But I can't get over getting re-raised with 7-8s preflop.

I thought check-raising the flop would be a good idea, because I knew the button would try to bet at it if he was checked to, and I figured villain would bet out if checked to being the pre-flop raiser. Is it generally a better idea to check raise the turn if a non scary card comes out for more value than check raising flops?

I figured I was beat with a raise on the turn with quad 8's possibly but probably A8s, AK or something, but hoping he had AJ, AT.

Duffman
06-08-2005, 05:19 PM
I would have bet the flop.

I wouldn't have capped the turn. I'd just call after he raised. There are many hands that can beat you. And at this limit you could easily be up against 89, A8 or even 8-anything.

I'd check call the river.

[ QUOTE ]
.5/1 Royal Vegas (10 handed)

I just got to the table, so I have no real reads except on the button which is crazy aggressive if any of the flop hits him unless he has any kind of draw, he will be a call station.
BWillie dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Preflop:SB posts .25. BB posts .50. 2 folds. UTG+1 bets. Hero raises. Villain 3-bets. MP3 folds. CO folds. Button calls. SB folds. BB calls. UTG+1 folds. Hero calls.

(14 SB) Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (4 players)
BB checks. Hero checks. Villain bets. Button calls. BB folds. Hero raises. Villain calls. Button calls.

(10 BB)Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
Hero bets. Villain raises. Button calls. Hero 3-bets. Villain caps. Button calls. Hero calls.

(22 BB)River: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
Hero checks. Villain bets. Button folds. Hero calls.

Thoughts? Should I of 3-bet the turn given he bet out at me after my check raise?

Results
<font color="white"> Villain wins pot with 7h 8h. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]