PDA

View Full Version : One from the Marketing Dept.

sourbeaver
06-08-2005, 03:04 PM
It has been proven that prices expressed in the form of 0.99$ instead 1$ are perceived as significantly lower by customers. Even if we all are perfectly aware of the shameless scheme.

So, do you think there's any value in trying to raise using that form, hoping to get more calls since it looks less threatening ?

Countless times, I've read in the chat box somewhere along these lines : "bah, a X$ raise is always AA KK or AK".
A less expensive looking raise might get us more calls on our most premium hands.

Especially in small stakes, where players might even get insulted and try to play back ?

I think it's a funny idea, which may have it's merits.

Thoughts ?

jkkkk
06-08-2005, 03:23 PM
i frequently see this and think its pretty sad.

its not scary, its not smart and its not going to make you anymore of a winning player.

maybe next time i play on a 2+2 table i'll make each of my bets with a .99 on the end /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kurto
06-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Personally, when I see people raising odd amounts (oooh, he raised it $1.86!?!), I tend to just think they're idiots (no offense to people who do it... I just don't see the point of going out of your way to typing in a strange amount that I doubt has any real benefit).

Note: That may be their strategy... to appear frivolous or fishy.

I thought people would bet $1.99 instead of $2 because they think it looks like they're betting more then they really are?

sourbeaver
06-08-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I thought people would bet $1.99 instead of $2 because they think it looks like they're betting more then they really are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it may appear that way because more chips are stacked, visually. I didn't think of that detail.

sourbeaver
06-08-2005, 03:52 PM
The objective would be to appear less scary, not more.

Anyway, I also hate players who do this, but then, seeing one of them act, I thought perhaps there could be a rationale behind this, and the price thing is what I thought of.

NickPoker
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
When I see this I don't think or assume anything. If see someone doing it often, I look for a betting pattern. So if you do this you better mix it up, don't do it with just your big hands.

swedeD
06-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I have actually been fooled a few times when players make strange bets like $19,78. Not because the bet look more scary or cheaper than it is, but because my brain started to mailfunction /images/graemlins/grin.gif and I focused on the wrong thing, their bet, instead of thinking if I can be the dog here or not(their strange bet made me call when folding was almost obvious). This only happens when I'm really tired and having a general problem focus on the game.

I generally only see players do this kind of strange bets if they seems to be decent or bad players. If a tight but not so good player is betting like 1.99 at NL25 preflop, I will just fold and laugh.

Everything that put focus on the bet itself, may make bad players to call just because people tends to steer at the direction the look. But against better players you can reveal information about your hand if you don't start to bet strange at every hand, but if you do that you can accidently make people call your bluffs too.

wtfsvi
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I tend to bet $4/9/19 when I want to be called and $5/10/17 when I don't want to be called against really bad players. Don't know if it has any effect though, and I don't make myself predictable like this if I play against semi-good players.

I fold easier to a $9 bet than a $10 bet as well.

I've never seen anyone betting $.99. Don't think it will be a good idea against people that are not mentally retarded, if you want to sell your hand. Everybody knows that .99 is supposed to look significantly less than 1.

sourbeaver
06-08-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody knows that .99 is supposed to look significantly less than 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker aside, you do know that this trick is still used around the world because it works even if we all know what it is designed to do .. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wtfsvi
06-08-2005, 04:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Everybody knows that .99 is supposed to look significantly less than 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker aside, you do know that this trick is still used around the world because it works even if we all know what it is designed to do .. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure it works for toilet paper and chocolate. Don't you see how this is different?

sourbeaver
06-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Note the "poker aside", it's all in there /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jkkkk
06-08-2005, 05:17 PM
who doesn't know this?

BBD
06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd say your theory has merit. For sure you'd have a better chance of callers. I wouldn't recommend giving limpers too good of a deal, you might find those premium hands aren't so premium anymore, JMO.