PDA

View Full Version : Intuition...

Gustavo
06-08-2005, 12:45 PM
The way he played, just fired my intuition into "saying" me watch out for Xxxxxxxxx and check the river , but come on whos going to check the river anyone!?

pokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($116.95)
CO ($44.55)
Button ($101.70)
SB ($188.05)
BB ($86.20)
UTG ($205.25)
UTG+1 ($109.70)
MP1 ($109.45)
Hero ($97.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: ($5.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5.50) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $25</font>, Hero calls $17.

River: ($55.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $178.25</font>, Hero calls $40.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $304.25

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ad As (full house, aces full of nines).
Hero has 8d 9h (full house, nines full of eights).
Outcome: UTG wins $304.25. </font>

amoeba
06-08-2005, 12:51 PM
well, with 40 left over in to a huge pot, you have to call.

where you messed up is not the river but the turn.

Who 3 bets the turn with top pair?

Gustavo
06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well, with 40 left over in to a huge pot, you have to call.

where you messed up is not the river but the turn.

Who 3 bets the turn with top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree his fishy check on the flop his three bet on the turn... it was getting obvious he had AA, that what alarmed me and made me think to check the river...

-Skeme-
06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Probably should've used your intuition to fold preflop.

mosuavea
06-08-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, why were you in this hand to begin with?

spoohunter
06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, why were you in this hand to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn nits.

This hand is fine to play preflop for little money.

RiverTheNuts
06-08-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn nits.

This hand is fine to play preflop if you don't like money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

mosuavea
06-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Really why?

amoeba
06-08-2005, 02:26 PM
SSNL has really gotten tight.

Its a minraise and hero is in position and villain is one to minraise with monster hands preflop.

preflop call is fine.

PinkSteel
06-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I don't understand. I would never play 98o from MP in an unraised pot.

Are you suggesting the call is OK because of the minraise? That this is one of those "chance to smack the flop hard and stack a big pocket pair" plays, like Ghazban's "hahahahahahahahaha" post?

I'll buy that argument but you need to be clear that that's it, because right now I muck this hand preflop in a second.

xorbie
06-08-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. I would never play 98o from MP in an unraised pot.

Are you suggesting the call is OK because of the minraise? That this is one of those "chance to smack the flop hard and stack a big pocket pair" plays, like Ghazban's "hahahahahahahahaha" post?

I'll buy that argument but you need to be clear that that's it, because right now I muck this hand preflop in a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling with position and not that many people in the pot is fine. You can occasionaly steal if they check (unless they are the type to check raise a lot) and can win large pots. It's not a great call, but it's not terrible so long as your postflop skills are good.

amoeba
06-08-2005, 02:50 PM
actually this is a hand in which if it was limped to me, I would fold since with limped pots, people aren't that committed unless they hit a monster. By contrast, if you had knowledge that villain minraises with bigpairs and overcommites them postflop, a call is fine.

I would be less likely to call with a hand like A9 or AT here.

yes its exactly like hit a flop hard, stack a big pair philosophy.

I mean flop could have easily came A 67, checked through, turn comes a T, your straight is perfectly disguised. Villain gets totally attached to top set and you stack him.

TheWorstPlayer
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
His flop check is EXTREMELY weird. It basically tells me AA or KK-JJ. Against none of those hands is it a good idea to raise at any point in this hand, weird as that may seem with your monstrous hand. Again, it is not a question of being ahead in the hand, it is a question of being ahead WHEN YOU GET CALLED. Look how scary the board is. Who is calling you with AK? And why did he check the flop?

Harv72b
06-08-2005, 02:56 PM
The way I see it...

Mistake #1: A miniraise UTG is usually trouble. Like AK or a big pair looking for action so he can re-raise. That, plus your hand being 89o, plus nobody else in the pot, = easy preflop fold. You aren't going to flop 2 pair/trips/straight often enough to make this call +EV, unless you know for a fact that you can push UTG off of a better hand after missing the flop.

Mistake #2: Call the first turn bet. Preflop combined with the flop check means that he's either got a PP &lt;AA or AA. Maybe, maybe he's holding AK or AQ, but he's probably going to raise more preflop with those. If he's holding JJ-KK, he folds to your raise with the A on board, and what have you won for your bad preflop call? If he's holding AA, he does exactly what he did...re-raises big. The only time I can see this play being worthwhile is if villian is either super bad or does have AK/AQ. Even then, all you do is induce a check/call on the river.

Mistake #3: Mentioned above, but calling the big re-raise on the turn. Again, barring a player-specific read, you can't expect him to be doing that with just TP.

Mistake #4: Betting the river. He's going to bet if the 9 pairing scared him, not give you the opportunity to push &amp; force him to fold his AK or whatever. Just check it through, thank your lucky stars if your hand is good, and don't expect it to be very often.

Mistake #5: Posting results. Hard to be objective when we all know you got pwned on this hand. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just my opinions...I'm far from being a great NL player.

mosuavea
06-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I understand the concept of having a disguised hand with position, but why even take the chance in a raised pot and these cards? The flop just will not hit you hard enough to continue majority of the time. You have no high card strengh, and you arent looking to flop a flush draw. I just think its pissing away chips.

OP doesnt mention anything about the villians PF rasing characteristics, but if he is super losse I guess you can justify this. Call me crazy but regardless im not calling here and its an automuck.