PDA

View Full Version : AJ hand

simpsp31
06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Dont think i played this one very well, comments ?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB

spydog
06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
What don't you like? I think this is a great situation to raise the turn for a free showdown.

Well played, IMO.

Stu Pidasso
06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What don't you like? I think this is a great situation to raise the turn for a free showdown.

Well played, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a less expensive path to the showdown.

Stu

RunDownHouse
06-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I guess you could try raising the flop and checking behind on the turn, but I don't hate your line. About a million turn cards - including some of your outs - make draws come in, so waiting to see the turn is ok, and the hand plays itself after that.

spydog
06-08-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well played, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a less expensive path to the showdown.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense. But that post sucks.

Derek in NYC
06-08-2005, 03:26 PM
I would raise the flop, and bet the turn if checked to. THe flop raise will define your hand and knock out at least some players.

JrJordan
06-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I also raise the flop, and bet turn if checked to me, though waiting for a safe turn card isn't bad if you think CO is aggro enough to follow up the turn with just a draw or a lower J.

Dov
06-08-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also raise the flop, and bet turn if checked to me, though waiting for a safe turn card isn't bad if you think CO is aggro enough to follow up the turn with just a draw or a lower J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say almost the exact same thing. Nice post Jr. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stu Pidasso
06-08-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Is it because it requires you to think?

Stu

adamstewart
06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I think this hand was played expertly (intentionally or not /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Preflop: standard

Flop: I believe calling the flop here is the superior play. If you're behind to a king, it's better to buffer your multi-out "draw" with additional overcallers. If you're ahead with the jack, what worse hands are you trying to fold out? And what hands are calling a raise regardless?

Think about it: if another king falls on the turn, that doesn't really change a thing. If you were behind on the flop, you're still behind now. Any ace improves your hand. Queens are the only hands you'd like to see fold, but even then, a queen gives you a straight draw, and the Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif is even better. Further, even if you raise, straight and flush draws are still going to call, with proper odds to do so.

TURN: now's the time to charge those hands that are behind you.

Raising the turn has the advantage that it costs you no more than calling the turn and river, but penalizes any draws that you are ahead of, but would fold on a missed river. You also potentially earn a free showdown, as was the case here.

RIVER: I like checking here. You're usually either getting called by a King, or getting a broken draw to fold.

Well played.

Adam

Stormwolf
06-08-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this hand was played expertly (intentionally or not /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]

as soon I saw that hand I thought the same

simpsp31
06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think this hand was played expertly (intentionally or not ). [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly no expert.

When i reveiwed this hand after my session i felt i should have raised the flop. checked the turn (likely checked back to me) and called the river.

After reading adamstewart's excellent analysis i feel i unintentionally played the hand correctly.

C\O turned over JT to take the pot

Thanks.

spydog
06-09-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Is it because it requires you to think?

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Because the question on the hand wasn't 'what is the cheapest way to showdown?'. Unless you have a crystal ball we have no idea what's the cheapest way to showdown.