PDA

View Full Version : Called (and won!) with 9-high.

jcmack13
06-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Anyone have a similar story? My 6max table had just dissolved leaving only me and Villain, and he had been aggressive up till this point. This was the first time he didn't bet preflop, flop, or turn, and not even semi-bluffing anywhere screamed baby cards, no draw. I could've bet the turn or river meself, I guess, I dunno, small pot, scary board, tail end of a satisfying session anyway....well, whaddaya think?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Button posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls, Button (poster) checks.

Flop: (2 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (1 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (1 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 3 BB

Results:
Hero has 9c 7s (high card, ace).
Button has 3s 4h (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 3 BB.

I heard a story of Brunson making some great call with jack high, putting his opponent on a busted draw, and I read the article with Ungar calling and winning with ten high. Now I've done nine. Anyone win with eight high?

spydog
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Ugh. The pot is only 1BB on the river. Fold. Don't try and make great plays with 9 high.

nh, though.

MAxx
06-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I think it's a terrible call.

2 to 1 pot odds on a 9 high..... you are pissing away sklansky bucks.

edit: you did have the nut high of nuthing hands... so I change my answer to nice way to induce a bluff. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ToneLoc
06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
On top of that your opponent is probably going to stop poker because of you...

jcmack13
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah, yeah, I know. My mouse went to the "fold" button, but then I thought, aw, hell, I might be good, and if I am, it'll be the sickest call ever. if i'm not, no one needs to know. I guess i decided it was worth risking a bet on the chance that i could tell people i once called and won with nine high.

MtDon
06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a similar story?

I heard a story of Brunson making some great call with jack high, putting his opponent on a busted draw, and I read the article with Ungar calling and winning with ten high. Now I've done nine. Anyone win with eight high?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't witness this, but am certain it is true.

At a 2 - 6 spread limit game, at Shooters in Billings, Montana:

3 people see the flop. There are two very aggressive players and one less aggressive, reasonably good player. On the flop and turn the aggressive players bet and raise. The less aggressive player folds middle pair (tens, I believe) (don't know when). There's a bet and call on the river.

The first person turns over his hand and says, "Eight high." The other player turns over his high card, an eight, and asks, "What's your kicker?" Don't know who won, or if it was a split pot.

I've been told this story several times by people who were there, including once or twice by the player who folded, who was naturally a bit upset.

-- Don

PS: I may have some details wrong, not sure if it was bet on the river, but knowing the players, I expect it was.

ggbman
06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
If you make a call like this and lose, you should definitly show the hand for table image reasons.

Catt
06-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I didn't really have to "call down" but I chopped with 6-high in a micro full ring game a long time ago (I wonder if BB open-folded 7-high or better?):

My 6-high is Goot! (No Content)

Well, at least for a chop. And to think I considered not completing since there were so few in the hand:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
6 folds, CO calls, 1 fold, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

River: (1.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB folds, CO checks.

Final Pot: 1.50 BB

Results:
Hero has 2c 6c (one pair, eights).
CO has 5h 6h (one pair, eights).
Outcome: CO wins 0.75 BB. Hero wins 0.75 BB.