PDA

View Full Version : using Poker Academy Pro to practice SNGs

Dave613
06-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I posted the following in the 'software' forum but got no responses. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

I recently got Poker Academy Pro and I'm disappointed by the single tournament mode. It feels like the players and advice are programed for ring games and don't consider getting ITM and other SNG chip-related adjustments. I've read elsewhere on this site that others feel the same way. Does anyone have suggestions on which players/settings to choose for, say, more realistic bubble-play practice. Any other pointers to better simulate an actual SNG? I tend to play the $20+2s. thanks

Phill S
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
The 20+2s are a good simulation of 20+2 play.

For a cheaper option try the 10+1s, but they are only so-so accurate in comparison.

Seriously, just go play.

Phill

Dave613
06-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Where in my post did I say I do not play actual SNGs? The point is that I want to practice my bubbleplay and other particulars using Poker Academy Pro. Obviously, one can play more hands quicker and experiment easier. If you were trying to do me a service by bumping my message, thanks. Otherwise, you were not helpful or funny.

sahala
06-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I own it and I don't think it's a good practice environment for SNGs.

If anything, watching people play and reading handhistories from the SNG level of your choice is better practice.

petvan
06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I play 80% 1-table SNG's and bought PAP to practice while offline (I fly a lot and playing poker on a plane kills time nicely) I messed with it a bit, but found it not very helpful. Some bots are just too predictable.

I use it occassionally to practice HU, but mostly just to kill time. If I could get my money back, I'd take it (which isn't to say that it doesn't work well, and likely isn't a great program for ring practice, just maybe not ideally suitted to SNGs). If they had an MTT sim, that'd be more interesting to me.

P

pergesu
06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm working on something that will just BLOW YOUR MIND.

Not quite, but it could be kinda cool. Probably gonna take me a couple weeks or so. And I'm not revealing any details. Keeping it under wraps. Top secret. etc

octaveshift
06-08-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to practice my bubbleplay and other particulars using Poker Academy Pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impossible. It's not programmed for bubble play.

Might I suggest you try Trouble, with the Popomatic Bubble?™

http://images.kbtoys.com/g/toys/small/100981a.jpg

Dave613
06-08-2005, 03:00 PM
alright, thanks for the input all. I think it's strange they havent been able to better simulate SNG play but have made such advances with their artificial intelligence. Oh well.

Pergesu, I will be checking back for any progress on this surprise of yours. Could you reply to this post when you're finished?

Daliman
06-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I didn't like it at all. The one SNG i played on it it was telling me to fold AQo on the 4th level in the cutoff to 1 limper. It had me folding WAY too much, and I play plenty tight.