PDA

View Full Version : a really frustrating hand I don't know how to get away from

HonchoOverload
06-08-2005, 11:13 AM
first round of a $100 tourney at Stars (10/20 blinds, 1500 starting chips)...I had K/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif on the big blind. Villain in MP2 makes it 40 to go. 2 callers behind him. I call, since the raise is pretty weak. Flop is T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I decide to reverse and see where I'm at, thinking that if I check he'll certainly bluff...also, I'm not feeling like committing a lot of my chips to a flop check raise at this early stage. I put out a pot-sized bet of $150. He calls. Okay. Maybe overpair, maybe overcards. I think the turn will tell the story. Another 2 hits, I think the 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. Certainly no help to either of us. I bet another $150 (yeah, I know, should be more)...he just calls again. Okay, now I'm sure he's on overcards. The river is another low card...I forget which one but it doesn't create any straight or flushs and I put out a value bet of $150 to maybe get paid off. He raises to $300 and I make a crying, committed call and he flips up aces.

How do I get away from this? How can I play it better? I lost nearly half my stack in the third hand. Also, did he play this badly or did he just play me?

pooh74
06-08-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first round of a $100 tourney at Stars (10/20 blinds, 1500 starting chips)...I had K/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif on the big blind. Villain in MP2 makes it 40 to go. 2 callers behind him. I call, since the raise is pretty weak. Flop is T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I decide to reverse and see where I'm at, thinking that if I check he'll certainly bluff...also, I'm not feeling like committing a lot of my chips to a flop check raise at this early stage. I put out a pot-sized bet of $150. He calls. Okay. Maybe overpair, maybe overcards. I think the turn will tell the story. Another 2 hits, I think the 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. Certainly no help to either of us. I bet another $150 (yeah, I know, should be more)...he just calls again. Okay, now I'm sure he's on overcards. The river is another low card...I forget which one but it doesn't create any straight or flushs and I put out a value bet of $150 to maybe get paid off. He raises to $300 and I make a crying, committed call and he flips up aces.

How do I get away from this? How can I play it better? I lost nearly half my stack in the third hand. Also, did he play this badly or did he just play me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you need a pot sized bet on the flop to see where you're at, 1/2-2/3 could accomplish the same thing. A call or a raise should definitely put you in check fold mode from there on...IOW, you do not want to marry his hand so early where even AT has you beat. This is a great hand to take down a little cash cheaply on the flop but to commit yourself is a bad play IMO....

whther he misplayed AA is a moot point...I wouldnt concern yourself ever over "who played the hand worse"...just worry about how you played it.

rockythecat99
06-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Too big of a bet on the flop. 1/2 the pot is enough to know where you are at. If you think his flop call is overs, after his turn call you should know you are beat. This is very early in a tourney for you to commit to top pair. If this was later in a tourney and you knew this guy was a bluffer your plays would make more sense but its way to early to put soo much money on tpgk.

nightlyraver
06-08-2005, 01:03 PM
He played you if he knew you would keep betting and knew you would call the raise on the end. Unless he was just acting arbitrarily, he played it perfectly except for his weak preflop raise. I don't really like your play, however. I think you have to bet this flop, but a full pot sized bet is not necessary - t100 (2/3 the pot) would have done the trick. Once he called, why did you automatically put put him on overcards? That's real weak to call a bet with just overcards and no other draw. Unless he's an idiot and chases hands like AQ, I think that the only possible holding on such a board is KK or AA, maybe a hand like AT or TT for him to smooth call like that. Again, for all I know he is an idiot and does chase OC's, but I would need some type of read to back that up.

HonchoOverload
06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
well, I came back to finish 3rd in the tourney

still, you're right. Big mistake. Thanks for the help guys.