PDA

View Full Version : BankRoll Management

TryingHard
06-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi there,

I would like to know what you guys think on Bank Roll Management, now from what I know you can sit down in a Limit Hold'em game with 30 times the big blind.

So if your playing $5-$10 Limit Hold'em $300 should do you. What I would like to know is what kind of a bankroll you need to play $5-$10, even a great limit player could lose this $300 buyin.

I'm constantly seeing players sat down on $15-$30 games with $500, $450, which is everything they have in their online poker account.

I would love to hear your views on bankroll management.. Also would like to hear when should you move up the limits.

Cheers

Oh and sorry in advance for my poor spelling

Bartholow
06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
The old rule of thumb was about 300 big bets for a bankroll, but these days a lot of people think you need even more than that. If you have a decent amount of data you can figure out your own requirements from your win rate and standard deviation, the formula is in Poker Essays (2?) by Mason Malmuth, and you can probably also find it by searching the forums.

That said, you can also just sit down with one buy-in and play some poker. Most of us did that before we had anything we'd call a "bankroll". Just be aware, as you apparently are, that you can easily lose it all.

autobet
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
300BB is fine if you have another source of income.

If you are relying on poker as your main source of income I would recommend 1,000BB. For me, it would be hard to enjoy playing poker if I was a bad run away from being busted...