PDA

View Full Version : Two 99 hands with bad flops. Correct play?

Fantam
06-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Both these hands seemed similar in that the flops did not look very encouraging. I had not been at the table for very long (and players kept changing) but most of the players seemed to be quite tight and passive.

Hand #1
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...?</font>

With this hand, I didnt want to give a free card in case no one else had an A. So I considered betting and calling a flop raise and then check/folding the turn to a bet unimproved. However, I wondered if calling down from the flop might be a better option.

Hand #2
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...?</font>

I liked this flop even less than the previous hand's one. However this time there was only one other opponent and they had checked to me. So I again considered betting with the intention of calling a flop check-raise, and then folding to a turn bet unimproved.

I would appreciate knowing other players thoughts as to how they might have played these hands.

vulturesrow
06-08-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9, 9. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, Hero raises, 4 folds, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6, A, A (4 players)
UTG checks, Hero ...?

With this hand, I didnt want to give a free card in case no one else had an A. So I considered betting and calling a flop raise and then check/folding the turn to a bet unimproved. However, I wondered if calling down from the flop might be a better option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line you proposed, Id probably play it the same way. However I would be inclined to call down from there (a flop raise) to get good info on my opponents. Good hand to have reads on though because a raise in this situation means different things from different players.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #2
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9, 9.
3 folds, Hero raises, 4 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A, J, T (2 players)
BB checks, Hero ...?

I liked this flop even less than the previous hand's one. However this time there was only one other opponent and they had checked to me. So I again considered betting with the intention of calling a flop check-raise, and then folding to a turn bet unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a much scarier board. The only thing in your favor is that you are essentially up against a random hand. I bet the flop and then tread carefully. If the turn is a blank (non broadway basically) I bet again. I am honestly undecided what to do if I check the scare card and I get a bet from BB. Again reads have a lot to do with it.

davelin
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I think it's an easy bet in Hand 1 on the flop. Even if you're raised, I still wouldn't mind seeing a showdown given there are only two Aces out there.

Fantam
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

I will show and ask for your views on the turn, after I get some more responses to the flop.

jrz1972
06-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Hand 1: I would bet the flop. If you get raised, you're going to have to make a decision on whether to call down or fold (either here or on the turn). This will be read-dependent. If my flop bet doesn't get raised, I plan to bet the turn.

Hand 2: This is a scary board, but it's also really scary for BB if he whiffed or if he's defending with a pocket pair. I'm definitely betting the flop. If my flop bet is just called, I think it's a close decision whether or not to fire again on the turn. I am not calling any raises or bets, and I'm checking behind on the river if I get the chance.

LansingBudd
06-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Well this is my first post, and I'll preface it by saying that I stink at poker and haven't looked at other replies. Still I'm going to give it a shot, and appreciate any replies to my reply.

First hand is something I am just awful at, playing out of position. I think it is worth a bet here since the pot has been raised. You could have the best hand (only 2 cards, 66 or a higher pocket pair beat you here.) If it is called by more than one player, I would still bet the turn and fold to aggression at that point.

Second hand I think you should bet the flop as well. Some players will call a raise with any two cards from the big blind. If you get called I would bet the turn and check behind on the river unimproved.

Now I can go look at the other replies to see how wrong I was.

einbert
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Your thinking is good but please fold to a flop checkraise in hand two. Don't call and fold the turn unimproved, it makes me cry /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

deception5
06-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Hand 1 is a good flop for you. With 2 aces out there there's only 2 your opponents could be holding. You will very often have the best hand here and will get action from a 6 or a pocket pair.

The second flop is far scarier. But you were the preflop raiser and it's heads up so you'll often be given credit for an ace. I would bet here and fold to a check/raise. If you are called you can either bet again on the turn and check behind on the river or check the turn and call the river bet (or fold depending on reads).

Fantam
06-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. The general view seems to be to bet the flop in both hands.

This is what happened next:

Hand #1
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero ...?

At this stage, I was starting to get worried about Button's agression as I had considered most of the players at the table to be somewhat passive. Would you still have called down from here?

Hand #2
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, </font>Hero ...?

I didnt like seeing the board pair on the turn, but BB had only called on the flop and checked to me again. So I wondered whether I should continue my agression and bet the turn?

Once again your replies are appreciated and final results will follow.