PDA

View Full Version : Autofind fish in NL 6-max?

Atropos
06-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey folks,
I'm searching for a way to find fish based on their pokertracker numbers in NL 6-max. Of course most fish you will find by playing and noting down crazy things, but I think it is very important not to let a single fish get by unnoticed.
My Pokertracker Autorate Rules for Fish (very weak set of rules):

Hands required: 75
VPIP: >40
Won Showdown: <50

What do your rules look like? I also struggle how to identify good tight players, especially since you wont see too many hands with them because they are tight... Plz note that I'm looking for 6-max rules and full ring rules are not compatible.

boondockst
06-08-2005, 07:45 AM
As is true in real life, there is no "autofind fish." You just have to open some tables up and see how the action looks. In the first few hands, I look for weak bets/raises, multiway pots, and big pots on scary draw-style boards (i.e., they stay in with marginal draws)

And I find that tirelessly looking for short-buy'ers helps.

dtbog
06-08-2005, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might make this a little lower?

(Comments?)

-dB

TheWorstPlayer
06-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Just look for all the 2p2ers who are 'running bad'. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dtbog
06-08-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just look for all the 2p2ers who are 'running bad'. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahah

meow_meow
06-08-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might make this a little lower?

(Comments?)

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a good stat to look at until you have a much larger sample. If someone has a VPIP of 40 and WTSD of 25, you're looking at just 10 showdowns in 100 hands.

On the VPIP from, of the ten biggest winners in my database, 6 have VPIPs >40, whereas only 5 of the 10 biggest losers fit that criteria.

Take home message, VPIP alone is not a good indicator of fishiness.

dtbog
06-08-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the VPIP from, of the ten biggest winners in my database, 6 have VPIPs >40

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is this database?

I can certainly see a winning player anywhere from 15-30 VPIP, but it takes some pretty intense strategy modifications IMO to win at 45 VPIP. (Think of the starting hands.. .what is this person playing? Q8o? J7o? Every hand on the button?)

I just sorted my Challenge database for VPIP, and I have a guy at the top of the winnings list at 67% VPIP. I remember the session and he sucked out all-in on the turn twice with pretty bad hands -- looks like a variance thing in this case.

Did you look at these players' stats any more closely? I'm curious how they're playing.

-dB

-Google-
06-08-2005, 10:22 AM
When you think about it, having a VPIP > 40 is quite common for anyone in a 6 player max game. If you play your small blinds, you will have a VPIP of 33% right there just from blinds.

I know alot of good NL players who play many many hands preflop in a 6 player max, simply becasue they are good postflop.

Just my 2 cents.

-Google-

wtfsvi
06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
If you play your small blinds, you will have a VPIP of 33% right there just from blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1/6 is not 0.33, right? And sometimes the pot is raised. And playign all your small blinds would be very bad anyway.

-Google-
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Maybe I misunderstand how VPIP is calculated.

Is it not the number of hands in which money is placed into the pot? Does it count blinds?

What I meant, was if it does in fact count your blinds, you are blind 1/3 of the time which is 0.33.

Please correct me, becasue I know I am wrong /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Google-

wtfsvi
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

Is it not the number of hands in which money is placed into the pot? Does it count blinds?

What I meant, was if it does in fact count your blinds, you are blind 1/3 of the time which is 0.33.

-Google-

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. It means voluntarily put money in pot, so it won't count when you check in the bb.

-Google-
06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Google-

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. It means voluntarily put money in pot, so it won't count when you check in the bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about when you complete the small blind?

meow_meow
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
The guy against whom I have the most hands (1167 at 100NL 6max) is 42/24 with a post flop ag. of 1.76.
Defends his blinds and steals a lot. Outside the blinds he usually comes in for a small raise (3xbb).
Very tough to read.

dtbog
06-08-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about when you complete the small blind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you voluntarily complete your small blind? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

(yes)

-dB

Atropos
06-08-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy against whom I have the most hands (1167 at 100NL 6max) is 42/24 with a post flop ag. of 1.76.
Defends his blinds and steals a lot. Outside the blinds he usually comes in for a small raise (3xbb).
Very tough to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there are exceptions. But they dont matter too much to me, I just want an easy auto-rate method for Pokertracker to find fishes, then I put them on my buddy list and hunt them down /images/graemlins/smile.gif If there is one good player beyond them it doesnt matter too much, I will hopefully notice it and avoid him...