PDA

View Full Version : Back-to-back KJ hands

Pat
01-06-2003, 12:43 AM
These were two consecutive hands that I played today. All I want to know is how to play these preflop. The game is 1/2 online, typical, fairly loose/passive.

In the first hand, a player just sat directly to my left of me (full 10 player table), so an extra BB was posted. I am dealt KJo, the first 3 players fold to me (3 to act behind me). I decided to raise since there was an extra BB in the pot and nobody had limped in front of me. Am I overplaying for that single BB? Would you open-raise with KJ from MP anyways? The rest of the hand is insignificant to this post.

The very next hand I am dealt KJo again. This time the first 2 folded to me and I limped in.

Are either of these preflop decisions exceptionally bad? How would you guys play them?

Thanks,
Pat

JoeyT
01-06-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm not much of a fan of KJ in loose games unless I'm in late.. but the open raise the first hand is still all right (I probably wouldn't have.. but I'm not very good at playing that hand yet). I also try to avoid it like the plague from early position.. and thus wouldn't have even limped with it in the second.

PokerPrince
01-06-2003, 03:24 AM
I think opening in middle for a raise with KJ is a smart and aggressive move (on the right table). Limping in early is a big no-no with this hand. Just cause it makes a 20 in blackjack doesn't mean you have to play it.

PokerPrince

Ed Miller
01-06-2003, 03:59 AM
I would muck KJo in Hand 2. There are too many hands behind you.

As for Hand 1... I'm going to buck the trend and say that I would limp in with it. Some of the value of open-raising a hand like KJo in MP is blind-stealing equity. The extra blind money should make you loosen up a tad... but it also means you have three blind hands to bulldoze through to steal rather than two... so it will be significantly harder to steal. Thus, I would limp in.

Bob T.
01-06-2003, 05:07 AM
I think that in both cases, if I am going to play, I would open raise. If I was going to limp, it would be more likely in the first hand where the post has position on me, and will call with a wide range of hands, so that I will have a hard time playing this one postflop if I don't catch part of the flop.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

soda
01-06-2003, 05:13 AM
#1 I'd probably muck if the game was loose tough in the first one. If it's tight enough, I'd raise to try and win the blind money.

The second one is a muck IMO.

soda

soda
01-06-2003, 05:16 AM
I can see your reasoning here, but If you open raise, I think you are in great shape when the poster folds and you get position over a blind or even both of them.

Of course, I'd rather you just limp in if I'm on your table.

soda

Bob T.
01-06-2003, 05:24 AM
The poster came in in midposition, usually that signifies that he really wants to play. Given that, do you really expect him to muck a significant amount of the time. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of limping with this hand in this position. You likely have a better hand than all the blinds, but it will be hard to play unless you do make something on the flop. I think its a good idea to try and play it cheap here, and make your bets on a later street when you know a little more.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

bernie
01-06-2003, 05:45 AM
if im first in with this hand, and i decide to play it, im raising

b