PDA

View Full Version : Weird Bets

I Am Your Friend
06-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Playing these Party 2000NL games I see a couple of players making bets for really weird amounts like $75.42 or $66.91 or whatever.

1. Are players who do this idiots?
2. What do these types of bets generally mean?
3. Is there any pyschological factors when facing a weird looking bet like that?

SpaceAce
06-08-2005, 09:41 AM
There are two main reasons for this:

1) Sometimes people just move the slider and stop in the neighborhood of the amount they want to bet without fine-tuning it.
2) If you bet certain amounts, PartyPoker (and probably other sites, too), will show a huge mountain of chips, whereas if you bet a nice round dollar figure, you get one or two or three chips, usually. People used to do this to initimidate others out of calling by making it look like they made an enormous bet. Now, they could be trying to itimidate you or trying to induce a call by making it LOOK like they are trying to intimidate you since so many people are familiar with that play.

SpaceAce

Rotating Rabbit
06-08-2005, 10:02 AM
I do it at random sometimes, roll a dice on my desk if it comes up a 6 i'll bet wierd, just to freak people out and try to get false reads on me.

slupo
06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
One time online I made an accidental bet for like $1999 or something. For some reason this absolutely infuriated one of the other players and he spent the rest of the game bitching about it and calling me a jerk cause I was trying to be cute with my bet.

I ignored him, except everytime I was in a hand with him I bet weird like that. It was great.

radioheadfan
06-08-2005, 01:13 PM
It's just fun. I have no problem when other people do this. If you want to react to this, raise them to an even dollar amount.

BobboFitos
06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just fun. I have no problem when other people do this. If you want to react to this, raise them to an even dollar amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I feel the need for even numbers so I do that.... Actually, might (well, rarely) entice me to raise just to make an even number...

captZEEbo1
06-08-2005, 01:37 PM
I bet like that because I think it's funny. Maybe I'm the only one.

stankybank
06-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I've done this before to try to throw people off their game. It makes them concentrate more on my bet size/number than how I'm playing or what cards I may be holding.

It obviously worked against you where you posted it about it here. Don't pay attention to what kind of players are doing it or why they're doing it. Just play your game and do what's best.