PDA

View Full Version : My Stats, please evaluate

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi,

I am college student. Over Summer, I want to build my bankroll up. I consider myself a winning poker player, but I have only recently been managing my bank roll good. I had been moving up way too fast, being an idiot and putting my entire bank roll on a table.

Well anyways, I got 25 for free on empire. After getting it up to 300, I decided to play smart with it and try to establish a bank roll a smarter way. I have now got it up to about a grand. This week I started playing the 22 SNG's. This is where I have made my money, by 4 tabling.
Here are my stats, I know my sample size is low.

How big of a sample size do I need to get rid of some of the variance and SD?

Here are my stats:

55 Total Tourneys
ITM 23 times for 42%
+446 Profit on tourneys for a 37%ROI
$47.36/hour

10 1st, 9 2nd, 4 3rd.

I think I could keep this ROI at 40% but think my breakdown of 1,2,3rd is better than what it will average out too. I was thinking that 4 tabling I would shoot for like $25/hour.

What are average ITM %'s, ROI's, and $/hour a good player could expect 4 tabling the 22's?

Is $25/hour attainable 4 tabling the 22's?

Thank You,

Matt.

Kama45
06-08-2005, 06:21 AM
You should drop out of college now and full time. Every minute you wasted at school is -EV.

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 06:31 AM
LOL, I don't think so. My education comes first, as I my goal would be for poker to be my main but not only source of income while in college and then be a bonus on top of my real job I get after I graduate. I love poker but I dont want it to be my career. Dropping out of college would be the biggest -EV think I could do IMO.

curtains
06-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Does your college offer a course called Sarcasm 101?

DasLeben
06-08-2005, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, I don't think so. My education comes first, as I my goal would be for poker to be my main but not only source of income while in college and then be a bonus on top of my real job I get after I graduate. I love poker but I dont want it to be my career. Dropping out of college would be the biggest -EV think I could do IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could also go get a Bachelor's degree in Aeronautical Science, get a ton of FAA certificates/ratings, and then have to settle for getting a shitty desk job at $10/hr because the aviation industry sucks. Oh, and then get rejected for that shitty desk job.

Holla.

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 06:37 AM
True, lol.

But could you guys answer my questions please?

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Yea, actually I'm signed up for it this fall. It's supposed to be a killer.

mackthefork
06-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Where are all the [censored] sample size snobs when you need them?

Mack

ripped
06-08-2005, 06:59 AM
I do more tournaments in 1 day than you have total. Come back when you have about 1000 under your belt and I bet your ROI is not even 20%

mackthefork
06-08-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do more tournaments in 1 day than you have total. Come back when you have about 1000 under your belt and I bet your ROI is not even 20%

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres one of the £$%&ers now. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mack

ripped
06-08-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres one of the £$%&ers now. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Dude, you need help. Seriously, get a life, your one class act buddy.

I know my sample size is small. And I was asking what a good ROI is to shoot for. Calm down and im sure someday your life will get better.

Matt

treeofwisdom7
06-08-2005, 07:08 AM
they are pissed just cuz someone asks this question everyday. seriously they do.

ripped
06-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Your sample size is not small. It's next to nothing. 300 is small. If you wanted to know what a good ROI to shoot for is why did you bore us to sleep with your post about your life? Why do you think nobody has replied to you with a serious answer?

I have a good idea. Stay in school and get a job as a busboy or something like that.

pergesu
06-08-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you need help. Seriously, get a life, your one class act buddy.

I know my sample size is small. And I was asking what a good ROI is to shoot for. Calm down and im sure someday your life will get better.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, his point is that nobody can answer your question at all. Your sample size is WORTHLESS. There are 239847 threads asking the same question, usually providing the same amount (none) of valuable information, so nobody takes these things seriously. Thus the responses that range from "quit school immediately" to "[censored] poker, be a busboy."

It's pointless to aim for an ROI at this point. Just keep playing, read the forums, post hands, and improve your play. Once you're playing decent poker and have an idea of what your ROI is (1k games is where you begin to get a general idea, from what I understand), you can then decide whether it's too low for your liking, and can figure out how to improve it. But hopefully during the course of those 1k games, you've been learning and playing goot poker, so it should come out to something decent.

In the end, the only kind of ROI that's important is a positive one.

AbelM
06-08-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And I was asking what a good ROI is to shoot for.

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar
06-08-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LearnedfromTV
06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
mcbball - Good luck building your bankroll. I think the reason you are getting negative attitudes from some posters is that no one ever comes on here to say - "I've played 50 tourneys, made the money 5 times and lost 25% of my bankroll. Am I a losing player?" They see these won a few tournaments new players a lot and probably get sick of the same refrain.

I made a post asking for advice on bankroll management and strategies for reevaluating my game and have gotten only one response, probably because most posters just skip over these newbie questions because they've answered them before.

From what I've read in various threads, it seems as though there are many different opinions on what constitutes a good ROI. I think the best solution for you (and me) is to play a lot, record accurate stats, and evaluate your game as you go. At the end of 1000 or 2000 tournaments you will have a better idea how good you are at the game you are playing and whether it is feasible to move up.

Also, I think it is a mistake to try to compare your ROI to some magical standard number. Instead, after a big enough sample size, decide whether the money you've earned makes continuing to play worth it to you. If you're doing well enough, think about trying it all over again with the 33s.

Just one opinion

zaphod
06-08-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't Panic!

AbelM
06-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Go away hitchhiker nerds, i was making a southpark joke.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GtrHtr
06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
mcbball - Good luck building your bankroll. I think the reason you are getting negative attitudes from some posters is that no one ever comes on here to say - "I've played 50 tourneys, made the money 5 times and lost 25% of my bankroll. Am I a losing player?" They see these won a few tournaments new players a lot and probably get sick of the same refrain.

I made a post asking for advice on bankroll management and strategies for reevaluating my game and have gotten only one response, probably because most posters just skip over these newbie questions because they've answered them before.

From what I've read in various threads, it seems as though there are many different opinions on what constitutes a good ROI. I think the best solution for you (and me) is to play a lot, record accurate stats, and evaluate your game as you go. At the end of 1000 or 2000 tournaments you will have a better idea how good you are at the game you are playing and whether it is feasible to move up.

Also, I think it is a mistake to try to compare your ROI to some magical standard number. Instead, after a big enough sample size, decide whether the money you've earned makes continuing to play worth it to you. If you're doing well enough, think about trying it all over again with the 33s.

Just one opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.

multifast1
06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Here are my stats:

55 Total Tourneys
ITM 23 times for 42%
+446 Profit on tourneys for a 37%ROI
$47.36/hour

I think I could keep this ROI at 40% but think my breakdown of 1,2,3rd is better than what it will average out too. I was thinking that 4 tabling I would shoot for like $25/hour.

Is $25/hour attainable 4 tabling the 22's?

[/ QUOTE ]
Matt,

I did some reverse math on your numbers to figure you get about 5.8 tournies/hour on average by 4-tabling. If you're shooting for $25/hour you need to earn $4.30/tourney. That means you need an ROI of about 19.5% to earn that. And that is a reasonable number at the 22's from my experience. I seriously doubt 40% ROI is maintainable. If it is, then quit wasting your time at the 22's and move up immediately!

Best of luck.

Moonsugar
06-08-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did some reverse math

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I try this I hurt myself.

revots33
06-08-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My Stats, please evaluate

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you get sarcastic responses is because there are no stats worth evaluating after 55 tourneys. It's like expecting Albert Pujols to hit .800 for the season because he went 4-for-5 on opening day.

I tend not to compare my ROI with others - as long as I enjoy playing and I'm making money, that's enough for me. I'd guess my ROI is not as high as some, but higher than others.

multifast1
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend not to compare my ROI with others - as long as I enjoy playing and I'm making money, that's enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think you're pretty unique as far as 2+2ers go in that respect. I do care how my $/hr compares with others and if it's good or not. Maybe it's just that drive to be one of the best that makes me care how I compare.. Actually I don't think most profitable players would be at the level they're at if they didn't care how they compared.

Freudian
06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think I could keep this ROI at 40%

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can't.

revots33
06-08-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I think you're pretty unique as far as 2+2ers go in that respect. I do care how my $/hr compares with others and if it's good or not. Maybe it's just that drive to be one of the best that makes me care how I compare.. Actually I don't think most profitable players would be at the level they're at if they didn't care how they compared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I'm probably in the minority. For me, it's just a fun hobby that happens to be profitable. I doubt I'll ever have an ROI as good as the best STTers on 2+2, but that's ok with me as long as my bankroll keeps growing.

My point is that, especially in the beginning, it's more important to learn, improve, and build your bankroll, than it is to shoot for some arbitrary ROI that the best players on 2+2 only achieved through thousands of tournaments worth of experience.

And, if you are a casual player like me, there's no reason to obsess over ROI as long as you're profitable and you enjoy the game. I mean, how many other enjoyable hobbies can actually MAKE you money, rather than cost you money to participate in? That's just my 2 cents but there's nothing wrong with shooting for the top if it's important to you.

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
thank you very much for your opinion. I knew my sample size was small, so I will try to get it to 1000 and repost it hopefully in July. I appreciate your guys answers and I realize now why it angered some of you.

Thanks guys and hopefully I can contribute some to this board.

Matt

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Thank You,

That was exactly what I was thinking and hoping to hear the same. I know that a 40% ROI isn't going to stay up that high. I wish!

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
But I made 10 free throws in a row so I should be in the NBA right?

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I know I cant, I meant to say ITM at around 40%. I dream about keeping my ROI at 40%.

pergesu
06-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Dude, answer all the posts in one. There's no reason to have four brand new posts in a row.

jcm4ccc
06-09-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was asking what a good ROI is to shoot for.

[/ QUOTE ]

355%