PDA

View Full Version : SB open limps into your BB in level 5...

45suited
06-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Blinds are 100-200. Approximate chip stacks:

UTG (t900) folds
(t800) folds
(t800) folds
(t1000) folds
Btn (t1500) folds
SB (t1400) calls
BB HERO (t1250) 6d 9s

Assume that you have not done this to the SB yet this game. A bunch of players are still around in Level 5 and everyone seems afraid to make a move. You really want these chips but your hand is weak.

DasLeben
06-08-2005, 04:11 AM
I'll do this with any two cards if I haven't already done it to SB before. If they do it once, I'll bap him on the nose to get him to stop. A second time, I'll probably do it again to prove a point. If he tries a third time...then I check.

treeofwisdom7
06-08-2005, 04:42 AM
i pick check . maybe its my leak. they seem to call me a lot when i push bb after limp SB..
last time i was against aces oh well

45suited
06-08-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll do this with any two cards if I haven't already done it to SB before. If they do it once, I'll bap him on the nose to get him to stop. A second time, I'll probably do it again to prove a point. If he tries a third time...then I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to hear... I'm just making sure that my default play is correct. Sometimes I'm a little more suspicious the 2nd time, but the first is automatic in a spot like this. (Obviously if SB and me both are way in front with 3000 chips, I'm just checking and not letting some shortstack luck into the money.) I think you can guess why I asked this question - after having this exact situation in three SNGs in a span of two hours and each time the SB turns over aces or kings.... So yeah, just wanted to hear that I'm not a complete idiot (at least regarding this move anyway /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

chisness
06-08-2005, 05:22 AM
You also might want to consider checking on this blind level then pushing on future ones. This will induce limps by mediocre hands that you'll be able to pick up the blinds from. On the other hand, pushing may induce future folds and/or big hand limps.

Mr_J
06-08-2005, 05:28 AM
"You also might want to consider checking on this blind level then pushing on future ones."

Problem is you have to survive first. Also, there's no guarantee you'll be able to do that later since the blinds will be large you may not have much FE. Here you have plenty. With 7 people still left and 100/200, I'll take the chips now.

chisness
06-08-2005, 05:31 AM
I agree, since he has only 6 BB before posting, it's a good push here. Just something to think about when the current blind level isn't needed, but making friends with the SB so you can backstab him later can come in use /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Mr_J
06-08-2005, 05:37 AM
"Just something to think about when the current blind level isn't needed, but making friends with the SB so you can backstab him later can come in use ."

Definately. Eg risking a 10xbb stack in sb, save the steal for when it's worth it.

45suited
06-08-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Just something to think about when the current blind level isn't needed, but making friends with the SB so you can backstab him later can come in use ."

Definately. Eg risking a 10xbb stack in sb, save the steal for when it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely hear where you guys are coming from. If my stack is 10BB, I'll see the flop. Here, I really want those chips to get a little breathing room. I have no problem playing like a wuss early on at the lower blind levels. For example, if it's folded to me when I'm in the SB, I never attempt to steal the BB at the early levels - I'll usually just fold. That way, when the blinds are worth something, BBs not as likely to think I'm stealing. (Plus, I'm not going to bother pissing chips away in a "nothing" pot early on anyway...)

treeofwisdom7
06-08-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to hear... I'm just making sure that my default play is correct. Sometimes I'm a little more suspicious the 2nd time, but the first is automatic in a spot like this. (Obviously if SB and me both are way in front with 3000 chips, I'm just checking and not letting some shortstack luck into the money.) I think you can guess why I asked this question - after having this exact situation in three SNGs in a span of two hours and each time the SB turns over aces or kings.... So yeah, just wanted to hear that I'm not a complete idiot (at least regarding this move anyway /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

they limped with big cards. i think this is gonna give me more reason to just check/fold.

wonder what curtains thinks oh well i'll keep playing under curtianfan.. nobody knows yet

45suited
06-08-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they limped with big cards. i think this is gonna give me more reason to just check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just based on hand frequency though, most times SB won't have a monster in this spot and you can pick up some desperately needed chips. Sure, sometimes you'll look like a fool (and get called one at the table), but so long as you haven't popped the guy already like this, I've got to think that this play is +EV. I think that the level matters as well. At the 215s, I'd imagine that the players are more tricky. At the 11s and 22s, I'm not giving them that much credit.

[ QUOTE ]
wonder what curtains thinks oh well i'll keep playing under curtianfan.. nobody knows yet

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

DasLeben
06-08-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never pulled this move on the usual low-buyin donks, you're missing a LOT of chips. The amount of times you pick up the blinds is much higher than the amount of times you're trapped by a big hand.

I do have to add that I won't do this against EVERY SB that completes. I think this is a given, but if SB is a big stack, I'll be much more apt to check through. The only times I really make this move is when I'm putting someone's entire stack at risk, or at least a very significant portion of it.

mcbballp32
06-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Yea, in the lower ones it is so rare that a player slow plays here. Any good hand they push, at least from the 22s that i have played.

45suited
06-08-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do have to add that I won't do this against EVERY SB that completes. I think this is a given, but if SB is a big stack, I'll be much more apt to check through. The only times I really make this move is when I'm putting someone's entire stack at risk, or at least a very significant portion of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Here I think several criteria exist that makes this play correct (almost mandatory in my mind):

1) I have enough chips to cripple SB
2) I have not done this to him yet this game
3) I really want those 400 chips because of the game dynamics (blinds, stack sizes, etc.)

As Amir Vahedi said, "In order to live, you must be willing to die."

(Don't know if that really applies here, but it sounds cool. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

pergesu
06-08-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, since he has only 6 BB before posting, it's a good push here. Just something to think about when the current blind level isn't needed, but making friends with the SB so you can backstab him later can come in use /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you wanna make friends with him? I'd much rather push here so he's scared to complete his blinds ever again. Usually it just takes the one push, sometimes it takes two, but they get it.

Better to have scared opponents than friendly opponents.