PDA

View Full Version : Always wrong to play 10-3 offsuit?

deadmoney98
06-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Certainly there are times to play awful starting hands when getting great implied odds, right? I ask because after this hand Villain1 berated me in the chat incessantly, which does not normally bother me, but I don't normally play 10-3 either. Also, does the turn call terrify anyone else? Anyone play this differently?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 :Villain2)/ ($84.74)
UTG+2 ($21)
MP1 ($64.7)
MP2 ($47.04)
Hero ($50)
CO ($75.4)
Button ($93.25)
SB /images/graemlins/frown.gifVillain1)/ ($121.91)
BB ($70.64)
UTG ($46)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5. SB :#A500AF(Villain1)/ posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1, (Villain2)/ calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">SB, (Villain1)/ (poster) raises to $2.25</font>, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2, UTG+1, (Villain2)/ calls $2, Hero calls $2, Button folds.

Flop: ($13) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain1 bets $6</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Villain2 calls $6, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, Villain1 folds, Villain2 calls $10.

Turn: ($51) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $31.50 (all-in), Villain2 calls $31.50.

River: ($82.50) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $82.50

Just for laughs the chat immediately afterward went something like this (though it did continue the rest of the time he was at the table)...
Villain1: T3?
Villain1: u moron
Hero: bite me, i posted
Villain1: u called a 5X raise
Villain1: your retarded

deadmoney98
06-08-2005, 04:14 AM
just in case i did not make it clear, this was my first hand at the table and i had posted a blind, which is why i was in the hand in the first place.

UOPokerPlayer
06-08-2005, 05:16 AM
I usually call with any two if I'm getting better than 7:1 odds. You're getting better than that. I like the way you played it from then on, but this is really a hard hand to play. The turn call does scare me, but I push it like you do, getting enough worse hands to call me.

The real advice goes like this. Don't post UTG+1. Never do it, be patient, watch the table, rub one out, whatever it takes. You avoid this entire situation by not posting UTG+1.

boondockst
06-08-2005, 06:33 AM
I still don't see how calling with 10 3o is +EV...How often will you make your hand AND have it hold up AND get paid off?

calling with QJs with implied odds is one thing. I do not see how anyone with a substantial amount of hands would notice that calling raises in multiway pots with garbage is working out great for them.

DoomSlice
06-08-2005, 06:34 AM
I slow way down when the ace hits. The only overpair that would a "normal" player would call a turn push with after calling a reraise is AA, and that just caught up.

Basically I don't want him folding KK yet.

boondockst
06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
I think it's possible that Villain has AJs/AQ/AK and made a flop continuation bet. Or had AT and Hero lost. Please post results later.

deadmoney98
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Villain1 who I was hoping had an overpair was apparently just making a continuation bet and folded to my raise on the flop, leaving Villain2 to call my all-in with 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. When he called I was worried he had flopped a set or more likely, couldn't laydown TPTK on the flop and got there on the turn, either of which clearly would have been a disaster for me. As it happened he called with a drawing hand (14 outs by my count, more in his mind if he thought 2 pair would win). Seems a little dubious on his part with only the river to come, but I have seen far worse at the 50 table. I thought the biggest upside was on my first hand I more than double up and the table thinks I am a maniac. BTW, final pot total should read $111. Also, I was MP3 here not UTG+1, as someone suggested.

wtfsvi
06-08-2005, 04:19 PM
If you know he has a big pair and can't get away from it, the call would probably ok if you had a larger stack. As it is I don't like it. On top of that, since you have no reads, you don't know if villain has a big pair and you don't know if he will back it with his stack if he has one. The call is just horrible imo.

And don't post anywhere but maybe in the CO.

capone0
06-08-2005, 04:31 PM
While it's not a horrible call. And your correct your getting odds. It is not a very playable hand. Yes it did pay off here, but how often does the hand really pay off. Others are right, you should have waited another hand or 2 and posted the BB instead of posting out of position. How often does 103 win. You need a mighty nice flop such as the one seen to win it especially off suit and out of position. But I've seen much worse. I've seen limpers with the dumbest cards, almost useless cards win big pots. Honestly, if your at my table feel free to limp with 103 all day long and call 5 times reraises. I don't mind.