PDA

View Full Version : New York Oilers

mikelow
01-05-2003, 09:47 PM
What a choke job today. A nice come from ahead effort by the Giants, er... Oilers today.

Did they stop playing? I need a missed two point conversion just avoid the push. And was the snap on the final play that bad? Kick the damn ball!

Good thing I didn't bet the money line.

andyfox
01-07-2003, 02:16 AM
I see the NFL admitted today that they messed up the final play, pass interference should have been called. There would have been offsetting penalties and the Giants would have gotten another play. Of course they probably would have botched that one too.

Yeah, the snap was that bad. No way he gets the kick off.

Worst coaching of a 4th quarter (by the Giants) I've ever seen. How about giving Sehorn some help? How about blitzing every now and then? How about throwing the ball downfield, since the 49ers were basically defenseless against Toomer and Shockey? How about keeping your team focused so they don't commit stupid penalties? How about telling your holder it's only 3rd down and you have 6 seconds, if you don't like the snap, spike it and try again?
How about sending Barber to the left, where he had success all day, instead of right up the middle? How about sending Ron Dane to the CFL? Perhaps he's a very fine man, but he insists on gaining no more than 1 yard every time he carries the ball.

Wildbill
01-07-2003, 03:50 AM
What purpose did it serve for the NFL or any league to admit mistakes like they do in college. That is like salt on the wound if you ask me, I would rather think my holder was a bonehead for not spiking it and my snapper a goat. Well maybe not, but still issuing quasi-apologies has to be about the dumbest thing out there. At most you should call and apologize to the GM or coach quietly, but telling the world that you screwed up is plain stupid. Everyone knows officiating is a factor in the game, why pretend it isn't?

Dayne will almost certainly be cut, no way they keep him around. He probably will be one of those guys that bounces around a bit and then finds his spot, but who knows if it will happen for sure.

As for Shockey, isn't it amazing all these great TEs coming out of school and yet no one get excited about them draft day? They get decent draft positions, but they never get raved about yet are often the toughest guys on the field to defend. Todd Heap was unstoppable in a good conference, yet no one made a big deal about him going in the 1st round. Same for Shockey. Jerramy Stevens was a stud in college as well and is starting to emerge for Seattle. Smart coaches and organizations make these guys must haves yet they don't get much publicity in the draft. Just ask Denver how much Sharpe added to the offense this year after trying to rely on Clark and Carswell for 2 years. And the Chiefs get by with mostly mediocre receivers because Gonzalez gets double teamed at times. Its an impact position and I think Shockey just makes it that much more clear so the fact that they stopped throwing to him is really baffling.