PDA

View Full Version : ATo, love it or leave it

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 08:51 PM
There is a certain person on this forum that seems to think that you shouldn't bet with ATo from MP or LP. You know who you are majorkong!

Then I assume you muck it, because I don't think that dog is worth limping with.

I have been limping with that stinker for a few hours now (I've gotten it a lot) and I don't think it's worth it.

If you see the flop with 4 or 5 others, and you don't hit it, your fate is the fold button. I'm not drawing on that hand!

If you bet pre-flop and cut the field at least you have some wiggle room if the flop misses you. You are the pre-flop better which may give you some semi-bluff or even pure bluff possibilities.

I don't think I'm gonna bother limping with this hand again.

pufferfish
01-06-2003, 02:15 AM
No responses? This post wasn't just meant for MK - I was just yanking his chain.

It's a serious post. I think ATo is a raise/fold hand from MP/LP. Anyone else care to share?

Punker
01-06-2003, 03:05 AM
It's simply a fold after 2+ limpers, a raise after 1 or less.

Many people don't response to preflop questions here simply because it's all explained very well in Hold'em for Advanced Players.

PokerPrince
01-06-2003, 03:18 AM
This hand isn't one that should be played often. It's level of treachury is legendary.

PokerPrince

Ed Miller
01-06-2003, 03:52 AM
ATo is a strong hand first in from LP or even LMP. It is also pretty strong in LP after one loose limper. In either of these situations.. you are correct.. you absolutely should raise with it.

As you see more limpers... especially tight limpers... the hand goes way down in value. After two tight limpers, you should muck ATo. On the other hand, I will usually go ahead and limp with it on the button or in the cutoff at a table full of weak players even if three or four players are in. There is not a lot of equity in playing it here, but I think I can outplay my weak opponents enough that it's worth it just to get another shot at their money.

If you decided never to limp with ATo... and to only play it in the raising situations I listed first... then you might well be increasing your hourly rate, depending on how you play.

Bob T.
01-06-2003, 05:10 AM
I always thought that a big part of running bad for me was being dealt AT off, and mistaking it for a hand. I throw it away, unless I think I can steal with it.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.