PDA

View Full Version : Good Laydown?

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Micro-limit, full (10) table, standard (loose/passive).

I'm BB with 7h Ad.

Six of us see the flop for 1 bet (EP, MP, CO, Button and blinds).

Flop: 6s 6c As

SB checks, I bet. EP, MP, and Button call, CO and SB fold.

Is checking here better?

Turn: 6s 6c As Qc

I check because I don't feel too good about 3 callers, and my kicker sucks.

EP checks, MP bets, Button calls, I fold and EP calls.

River: 6s 6c As Qc Kd

EP checks, MP bets, fold, fold.

Results follow.

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 05:42 PM
MP opts to show his hand: Ah 6h for sixes full of aces.

When MP bet out on the turn and got a caller, I figured there must be a 6 or a better Ace out there.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Clarkmeister
01-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Note that the queen on the turn plays as your kicker.

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 05:53 PM
True. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

How would you have played this hand?

Ed Miller
01-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Given that you bet the flop, I think you should bet the turn and consider mucking to a raise (depending on the raiser). Unless your opponent has AK, AQ, or A6, you now tie any other ace. There is a flush draw on board, so one or two callers could be on the flush. One could be slowplaying a 6... in which case you will probably get raised on the turn. An aggressive player might raise you with an Ace trying to get you to lay down, though... so be careful.

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks majorkong.

Yesterday (1st day in my Lee Jones phase /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) I lost a lot of money in situations like this.

I know you often see a showdown with more than one player. With the board paired + callers I just didn't like my chances.

Of course I would have been kicking my self if another Ace little took the pot.

Would you have bet the flop?

bernie
01-05-2003, 11:20 PM
this was online? id have played the same way...seems the paired board hits someone alot....uncannily. not a conspiracy deal, just my experience...

live is a tad different...

sure someones on a flush draw, but with THAT many callers, the odds that their all on one isnt that good. and since many LL mopes fear that A like a vampire fears the cross. you can almost hear em hiss at the sight of it, when they dont have one. the tension in the air tightens like a man at his first proctologists visit.

the fact that that many called, id assume someone may have a 6 more than an A....your betting from the BB remember...BUT, many of these mopes will not bet trips here. theyll wait for the turn in your spot....so theyd put you on an A. unless they think youll bet a flush draw here....but figure if theyre calling facing your A, and at least one might be smoothcalling so as to 'wake up' on the turn....

since you gained a kicker on the turn, and youd likely have heard from AK or AQ preflop, your A is fine, for the most part...this can be a trap card...a smaller card is much easier to play...a nice blank would suffice.....

i may call 1 bet here and the river...i dont like trying to charge a flush draw with a paired board...id want to see the showdown cheap as possible....

you could bet out on the turn and fold to a raise, player depending on who raises though.

everyone folded the river and he showed.....do you see why it may be a bad idea to show? what if he didnt? youd be wondering what he had....which can make his hand tougher to decipher, especially if youre not used to playing him. which may plant a little seed that causes you to call later...since you may nto have anything definitive about what hand hed play like this...

the other side though, is that he may be able to bluff a little since he showed a strong hand...

however, it may be likely now, that if he flops a lesser hand, hed bet/raise it on the flop...and if he waits and bets the turn, it may be near nut....watch for the pattern before acting, but some players dont alter their play that much...

btw...according to the FTOP, hindsight, you played fine....

b

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 11:49 PM
and since many LL mopes fear that A like a vampire fears the cross. you can almost hear em hiss at the sight of it, when they dont have one. the tension in the air tightens like a man at his first proctologists visit.

LOL

since you gained a kicker on the turn, and youd likely have heard from AK or AQ preflop,

That is a problem, many of these turkeys won't bet their strong hands pre-flop. I've play with on guy for a couple days now. He bets pre with crap like A4s and limps with KK???

you could bet out on the turn and fold to a raise, player depending on who raises though.

Yea, but I was afraid I was gonna bet someone else's hand until the river, the get popped with a re-raise. Just thought I'd cut my loses early.

Thanks again bernie.

bernie
01-05-2003, 11:58 PM
"That is a problem, many of these turkeys won't bet their strong hands pre-flop. I've play with on guy for a couple days now. He bets pre with crap like A4s and limps with KK???"

you could check/call the turn for 1 bet then...but betting out, if youre raised, you know what you need to know, dont you? therefore saving 1BB from check/calling the river

if you were on his left, id 3 bet him at times....id still play normally prelfop though, screw em....these arent the only hands he'd limp with. and the other hands far outnumber these....if he's behind you and cold calls a raise, it may be easier to put him on a hand too....

let em limp...those big pairs dont come up that often...

just a couple ide'er's.

b

Pat
01-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Would anyone check the flop in this situation? I personally don't think I would, but I'm just curious if that could be a good play.

Pat

pufferfish
01-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Good points, but there is something to be said about knowing your audience.

I've been playing this site for awhile (since I busted out at Paradise) and I've been bludgeoned enough to have a pretty good feel for when the sledge hammer is commin down.

Thank you.

c ya,
pf

pufferfish
01-06-2003, 12:49 AM
Would anyone check the flop in this situation?

I kinda wish I had. Looks like he was slow-playing his FH and he may have checked it thru or let one of the others bet it for him. Not sure what I would have learned.

c ya,
pf