PDA

View Full Version : Playing Overpairs

Mens Rea
06-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I have a general strategy for playing mid to large pairs like 10-10, JJ, and QQ that has worked out fairly for me over a long range of hands, but I wanted to know if you guys had any better method for playing them that I could incorporate as a way of mixing up play. The players in my usual B&M game are unobservant and unskilled, which is probably the reason this system works well.

Generally, I make a slight overraise preflop, say 6 times the big blind. This will usually see a caller or two. On an all-unders flop, I'll bet the pot and usually take it right there, unless someone has a flush draw (which I am hoping for) and will charge them a pot sized bet on the turn as well. If the flop contains an over, I'll usually half-pot it and slow down if anyone calls. I'll also slow down if any of the possible draws get there. I've found this to result in decent returns with low risk and variance. This type of play is easy to pick up on, but in the game I play, I'm really not concerned about this.

However, I get into trouble on an all under flop when someone has a set or an overpair. Generally, I'll read them for a draw and will end up dumping a rather large pot to them. For instance, I recently paid off a set of 2s OOP in a big pot on a 2h-5h-10-9-9 board with JJ. He called the flop and the turn bets, then minraised the river. I thought the pot was big enough to warrant a call. These situations occur infrequently enough so that it is not a huge concern, but I am so used to playing these types of hands in a specific way that I rarely even consider these possibilities. Does anyone play these hands differently? I'd like to try some things out. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.