PDA

View Full Version : Making the transition from online to B&M

Fat Kid
01-05-2003, 03:45 PM
I played my first B&M game yesterday and while I lost at 3/6, I did win some at 10/20. However, mentally my game was very different. While I played my usual style of very tight and very aggressive, it didn't tend to produce the same results as online poker.

Online my moves are very quick and decisive, whereas I was far slower in both my thoughts and actions in the cardroom. I fumbled with chips, looked generally confused and disoriented, and my game wasn't quite as strong.

In addition, my hyperaggressive moves, like check-reraises and caps, weren't driving people out of pots. Granted, I got more action, but a lot of the time I didn't want it.

While I don't think I gave any strong overt tells aside from grabbing chips too soon and releasing cards preemptively, I'd like some tips on how to improve my psychological play.

In brief, I think my nervousness is ruining my game as a bully. Please help!

pufferfish
01-05-2003, 04:12 PM
I've only played B&M once; the local cardroom spreads Omaha8 most of the time.

I fumbled with chips, looked generally confused and disoriented, and my game wasn't quite as strong.

Same here, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before you feel at home.

The first time I played online (play $), I felt confused and blown away by the speed. Within an hour I was sitting at a turbo table. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

bernie
01-05-2003, 10:23 PM
"I fumbled with chips, looked generally confused and disoriented, and my game wasn't quite as strong."

this is common with 'netties' playin the live game. a little nervous were ya? one easy tell on these players, is their bet speed. since online, delays can be a factor along with auto play, in a live room, if you auto play only certain hands, the more observant players will notice.

one thing id work on is a constant bet speed. fast/med/slow....one thing speed tells usually indicate is how much thought a hand may need. yes, some players can purposefully alter it as a counter tell, i do it at times myself...but having a default should help.

when i played online i developed a very fast bet speed regardless of my hand. this is because i predetermined my play before it was my turn based on what other players ahead of me 'may' do. planning ahead...

another thing onine players sometimes forget is that observant players may see your emotional reaction to a hand easier...you dont have to hide it at home alone on a computer. and ingrained habits may not even be realized...

you may need to study how to adjust for table texture if your still pulling moves to knock players out of the pot yet theyre still calling....if that's bothering you, learn to adjust...

one thing live play did for me was strengthen my mental game quite a bit. online its almost non existant as far as reacting to other players. it's much like just a video game.

keep going though...experience will build confidence in your live play. it takes time to learn how to see all the subtleties at a live table, along with recognizing subtleties in your own game that may be showing...

finally, remember, the pots not yours til they push it to you...meaning, dont get overexcited when you have KK in the pocket and barely see the 2nd K and raise....it hasnt held up yet, and you couldve just well killed any action

hope this helps a little....

b