BottlesOf
06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
That is all.

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
elaborate?

BottlesOf
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
He hit Floyd, apparently he has gone after him before, mainly because he hit a grand slam off him last year. I like that there's an unwritten code about hitting players and protecting your team, and I def. favor hitting a guy if they do something egregious to show up the other team, but just cause Floyd owns you? That is so lame and it upsets me.

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
as long as he didnt throw shoulders or higher its not worth crying over.

BottlesOf
06-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Not crying, just calling him a bitch. He wasn't headhunting...

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Floyd is a pimp. He pwns Oswalt and all other RHP in the NL.

BWebb
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He hit Floyd, apparently he has gone after him before, mainly because he hit a grand slam off him last year. I like that there's an unwritten code about hitting players and protecting your team, and I def. favor hitting a guy if they do something egregious to show up the other team, but just cause Floyd owns you? That is so lame and it upsets me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has Pedro returned the favor?

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Floyd doesn't even have much of a platoon split.

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just by striking out 12 guys.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Floyd doesn't even have much of a platoon split.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. He pwns all.

BWebb
06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just by striking out 12 guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw that, including the side looking in the 9th. Filthy.

JTG51
06-07-2005, 09:31 PM
A guy that likes Pedro is complaining about someone throwing at a batter?

BottlesOf
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I never really expressed a like for Pedro. But it's hard not to.

I didn't watch all his games when he was on the Sox, but as far as I know, he followed the rules. That doesn't mean he didn't hit people.

JTG51
06-07-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't watch all his games when he was on the Sox, but as far as I know, he followed the rules. That doesn't mean he didn't hit people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pedro's been the biggest head hunter, not to mention the biggest bitch, in baseball for years.

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
"Headhunter"? Whatever. Pedro drills guys on their backside.

sublime
06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Pedro's been the biggest head hunter, not to mention the biggest bitch, in baseball for years.

i wish he was still with the sox /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JTG51
06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Headhunter"? Whatever. Pedro drills guys on their backside.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the pitch to Karim Garcia in the playoffs a couple of years ago just got away from him and was three feet higher than he was aiming? And when Pedro pointed to his head, he meant to point to his backside?

JTG51
06-07-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i wish he was still with the sox /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame you. I'm sure I'd love him if he was on my team.

sublime
06-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Headhunter"? Whatever. Pedro drills guys on their backside

i personally loved how when he didnt have his best stuff he would nail guys to get the blood flowing.

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes he is. He's a little Texan bitch. And the Astros blow chunks.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was def a headhunter, but I really don't think you can call him a bitch. Also, his headhunting was just asserting himself as the massah of the at bat.

sublime
06-07-2005, 09:55 PM
He was def a headhunter, but I really don't think you can call him a bitch. Also, his headhunting was just asserting himself as the massah of the at bat.

actually, i think the reveres is true. he wasnt a headhunter (hit people a lot, yes) but was/is indeed a bitch. in the prima-donna sense anyways.

JTG51
06-07-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was def a headhunter, but I really don't think you can call him a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's is by the definition that JBB used to call Oswalt a bitch, or any other definition.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, i think the reveres is true. he wasnt a headhunter (hit people a lot, yes) but was/is indeed a bitch. in the prima-donna sense anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always seem to remember clips of him in Montrael just pitching high and tight to keep hitters away from the plate. Also, the Karim Garcia thing stands out.

sublime
06-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I always seem to remember clips of him in Montrael just pitching high and tight to keep hitters away from the plate. Also, the Karim Garcia thing stands out.

thats called smart pitching /images/graemlins/smile.gif if he wanted to hit somebody in the head, he would have.

the garcia thing is the best. he interview on espn afterwards:

"i am pedro martinez". "who is karim garcia?"

hahahahaha

Jack of Arcades
So a shot at one of the biggest assholes on a team involved in the most heated baseball rivalry of recent memory, and then all of the sudden Pedro is "the biggest headhunter"?

Isn't this a tad bit different than drilling a guy like Cliff Floyd that's done nothing but beat you on the field, 1/3 of the season in a meaningless game?

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
"i am pedro martinez". "who is karim garcia?"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome, I hadn't seen that before. Pedro is an awesome character. He's one of my favorite people in sports.

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, he was definitely a bitch. I don't mind it much, you can put up with that from the best pitcher in the league.

JTG51
06-07-2005, 10:07 PM
That's just the first example that came to mind. I remember a regular season game a few years ago when Pedro sent Jeter and Soriano to the hospital in back to back at bats with pitches high and inside that hit their hands.

Can you name anyone, other than maybe Clemens, that throws at or close to batters heads more often than Pedro?

BottlesOf
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I think Pedro's turned over a new leaf. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NY loooooooooves him right now. Will the city turn when he struggles? Will he ever struggle?

sublime
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Will the city turn when he struggles? Will he ever struggle?

yes and yes.

he will also test management at some point in the future

SocialWelfareIV
06-07-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's just the first example that came to mind. I remember a regular season game a few years ago when Pedro sent Jeter and Soriano to the hospital in back to back at bats with pitches high and inside that hit their hands.

Can you name anyone, other than maybe Clemens, that throws at or close to batters heads more often than Pedro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that have been Derek "I'm going to throw my hands right into the middle of the strike zone and my head just above it on every pitch" Jeter?

hedxcold
06-08-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i like how yankee fans bitched and moaned when clemens was on the blue jays and throwing at yankees, but when he was on the yankees and did it to other teams, well thats ok

contentless
06-08-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that have been Derek "I'm going to throw my hands right into the middle of the strike zone and my head just above it on every pitch" Jeter?

[/ QUOTE ]

And Alfonso "Look at my arms, look at them. You can't not look, they're over the entire plate." Soriano.

itsmesteve
06-08-2005, 12:52 AM
I was actually at the game tonite, didn't know why floyd took such offense to being hit, thanks for the history lesson. on the other hand, pedro was downright filthy tonite. filthy.
considering he gave up something like 10 or 11 hits, oswalt actually pitched a pretty good game, keeping the astros in it the whole way. if he did go after floyd simply because he can't get him out, then i agree . . oswalt=little bitch.

did i mention pedro was filthy?

Los Feliz Slim
06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Filthy AND greasy, because the Jheri curl was rockin'.

My bone to pick with Pedro is that it seems obvious to me that he had quite a bit left in the tank that he wasn't exactly advertising. If he stayed in Boston I don't think he'd be this good, he was way too comfortable and the challenge of the new city is what's motivating him to find the extra gear.

Same thing happened with Clemens, he needed to be pissed off to get good again.

itsmesteve
06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
whatever the motivation is, I'll take it . . . lets just hope it lasts a few years.

SocialWelfareIV
06-08-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Filthy AND greasy, because the Jheri curl was rockin'.

My bone to pick with Pedro is that it seems obvious to me that he had quite a bit left in the tank that he wasn't exactly advertising. If he stayed in Boston I don't think he'd be this good, he was way too comfortable and the challenge of the new city is what's motivating him to find the extra gear.

Same thing happened with Clemens, he needed to be pissed off to get good again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think motivation has something to do with it, but it's also getting out of the A.L. east. Baltimore and NY have two of the better lineups in the game and had just faced Pedro so often he wasn't fooling them. You can especially see this with how succesful his changeup has been this year.

Also, 7-9 hitters have done next to nothing against him this year. Not sure this would be the case in the A.L.

Voltron87
06-08-2005, 10:04 AM
what about manny "charge the mound after a high pitch that was actually over the plate" ramirez?

Nato76
06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
*yawn*

SocialWelfareIV
06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what about manny "charge the mound after a high pitch that was actually over the plate" ramirez?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes people mistake the shattered head of a bat for a baseball and Mike Piazza for the Yanquis' firstbaseman. Sometimes they mistake high and tight fastballs for headhunting. It happens in the heat of the moment, you know.

ltb
06-08-2005, 01:00 PM
oswalt's a scumbag - i'm glad to finally see his average pitching is giving him an average record.

he's one of my least favorite players in baseball, especially after he drilled barrett after ramirez belted that homer off of him last year in houston.

Voltron87
06-08-2005, 01:19 PM
im not going to get into some stupid argument over "pedro did this, roger did this, jeter did that, manny did that" but I was just reminding everyone that there are players on all teams who crowd the plate, bean hitters and are out of line. manny wanted to start a fight, and overreacted off a pitch which was actually over the plate.