PDA

View Full Version : Should I call him?

tbach24
06-07-2005, 08:43 PM
My brother had a friend in HS we'll call him "Steve." Anyways, we became pretty good friends because we both played poker and liked sports. I wouldn't say he was that good of a friend because I didn't feel comfortable talking to him.

Anyways, people make fun of him over certain things he does and he never took that great of offense, although sometimes he'd get mad.

As an example, we used to call him by names other than his own and he'd say "that's not my name" and so we started to say "that's not my name" in a nasal voice. Yes I know, very immature high school stuff. Well there were a bunch of things like that (maybe 3-4).

Fast forward to this year, he was very nice and helped me prepare for high school next year (prepping me on interview etc.) and helped me with poker.

Towards the end of the year I would start to needle him about how lucky he was (he had been very lucky in poker and fantasy baseball). He would pass it off as nothing at first, but towards the end he got mad and blocked me. He has this avatar in our baseball league that bothers me a lot (I don't know why), and I know his pword because he gave it to my bro for stat tracker. I changed his avatar to look like an asian (one of the things we make fun of him for is he likes asian girls[again v immature, not a big deal, but he gets mad]). He got VERY upset, called my brother and complained, made a post in the league about it, and now my mom is mad at me.

She wants me to call him and apologize, should I?

BTW, these are not retard friends. Although you could never tell lol.

miajag81
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
That guy sounds like the biggest tool ever. No way should you apologize.

istewart
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
WTF

Thythe
06-07-2005, 08:47 PM
He helped you prepare for high school NEXT YEAR?! So that means you're like 14 with 4000 posts?

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 08:47 PM
this guy "Steve" sounds like a little bitch.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He helped you prepare for high school NEXT YEAR?! So that means you're like 14 with 4000 posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 17, went to two fcuk up boarding schools, and am finally back on the right path. He helped me prepare my admission stuff.

siccjay
06-07-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pshreck
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and helped me with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't help but laugh at this part.

This kid is probably a whiny bitch, but you are acting like a jerk. This is the kind of [censored] you feel awful about when you grow up, knowing you went out of your way to hurt somebody for no reason. Just apologize.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He kinda is, but he tries to be (and thinks he is) a nice guy. There were some problems at home for him (had no male influence in his life).

DireWolf
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
this is a sad post.

Aytumious
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds to me like the OP is in the wrong here despite the fact that Steve may be a little too sensitive.

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
WTF is up with the posts in this thread.

tbach, you're being a total dick. Stop being a dick and apoligize. Maybe if you didn't do such dickhole things he wouldn't be so mad at you.

FMThe2nd
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
As near as I can tell, a nuclear bomb should be dropped directly on you and anyone you associate with.

Voltron87
if he grew up in a broken home its not your responsibility to be nice to him if he's a pain in the ass.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]

tbach, you're being a total dick. Stop being a dick and apoligize. Maybe if you didn't do such dickhole things he wouldn't be so mad at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if he grew up in a broken home its not your responsibility to be nice to him if he's a pain in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? And why should tbach be a little bitch to him?

Aytumious
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He helped the OP out and all the OP can do is be a dick to him. It's not even debatable who is wrong here given the info we have.

ClaytonN
[ QUOTE ]
pain in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because people who are a pain in the ass help you with your interviews and admissions into high school.

pshreck
Tbach, if the hs you go to next year has sports, you should seriously be a 3 sport athlete.

I cant believe highschoolers have all this endless time to spend on the internet. I'm no expert, but I cant imagine this to be healthy for development, socially or mentally. You should be living out your childhood and developing. This post was really dissapointing.

2+2 wannabe
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misinterpreted my comment. A lot.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He helped the OP out and all the OP can do is be a dick to him. It's not even debatable who is wrong here given the info we have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I really don't understand the first ~7 replies in this thread.

tbach24
That was one thing. He did a nice job helping me (I got into the school) but after a 5 year friendship something like that is negligible.

Just for clarification, me and my friends make fun of each other a lot.

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
get drunk. then call him.

Voltron87
I'm not saying to go out of your way to rag on the kid, but if he can't take a friendly joke you don't have to be his pal.

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
Tbach, if the hs you go to next year has sports, you should seriously be a 3 sport athlete.

I cant believe highschoolers have all this endless time to spend on the internet. I'm no expert, but I cant imagine this to be healthy for development, socially or mentally. You should be living out your childhood and developing. This post was really dissapointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

My school last year was 7 boys. That's it. There was no room for me to develop socially. I still challenged myself in school (as much as they could offer) and physically (I tried to keep myself in decent shape, but food tastes too good).

pshreck
06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are freaking spot on today dude, and im not just saying that.

stabn
06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You say steves a little bitch, and you say he doesn't have to be nice to him. WTf else is contained within your comments? Why haven't you told tbach to apologize and quit being a dick to him?

Aytumious
06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was one thing. He did a nice job helping me (I got into the school) but after a 5 year friendship something like that is negligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you do make fun of each other, you are young. But you crossed a line by stealing his PW and changing his account. You violated his space with that move and you need to apologize.

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You say steves a little bitch, and you say he doesn't have to be nice to him. WTf else is contained within your comments? Why haven't you told tbach to apologize and quit being a dick to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe because this kid is getting bent out of shape over nothing?

rmarotti
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
After reading the title and this:

[ QUOTE ]
My brother had a friend in HS we'll call him "Steve."

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want you to know that, IMO, there's no shame in being gay.

ClaytonN
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's never negligible. This is where you f*cked up.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you offended him, and instead of apoligizing you went out of your way to hurt his feelings even more.

What makes you think you deserve his friendship after this?

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

My school last year was 7 boys. That's it. There was no room for me to develop socially. I still challenged myself in school (as much as they could offer) and physically (I tried to keep myself in decent shape, but food tastes too good).

[/ QUOTE ]

It shows that you are pretty 'healthy' because you seem like a generally nice kid.

I have a 17 year old brother, and if I ever found out he was spending hours on OOT I would smack him upside the head. I think a lot of the posters in this forum would feel the same way.

So I like you, and while I dont have the time or energy to 'look out' for internet posters, I still feel like I can tell you what I know from my experience. I had a great time in highschool, and it came from sports, socializing, girls, etc....

If you get the chance at your next highschool (I know you cant currently) fill up 99% of your time with this stuff (outside of hw time of course).

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you do make fun of each other, you are young. But you crossed a line by stealing his PW and changing his account. You violated his space with that move and you need to apologize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hardly consider it stealing. My brother had it and gave it to me. Also, changing his avatar really isn't that big of a deal IMO. I wouldn't be mad if someone hacked onto my name and changed my avatar.

stabn
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has consistently been an [censored] to someone who has been nice to him and has gone so far as to edit an avatar the dude seems to care about on a site he seems to care about. He does this knowing the guy can't take a joke. That's an [censored] move. If he didn't know the guy can't take a joke that's one thing, but he has definitely known it for a while.

I agree that not being able to take a joke is pretty [censored] lame, but continually [censored] with a guy who can't is really [censored] shitty.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:05 PM
I am quitting 2+2 and poker (until vacations for the latter) once I hit reg high school, barring any major infractions.

SpearsBritney
06-07-2005, 09:06 PM
jeeze, why don't you just fcuk his mother while you're at it?

Homer
06-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Forced apologies are insulting to the person you're apologizing to. Just stop [censored] with him.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-07-2005, 09:07 PM
do what your mom says

Otis, your other mom

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jeeze, why don't you just fcuk his mother while you're at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

His mom = amazingly hot. This is one thing I've abstained from talking about tho.

Aytumious
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, changing his avatar really isn't that big of a deal IMO. I wouldn't be mad if someone hacked onto my name and changed my avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you would think if someone hacked your account is irrelevant. It clearly bothered Steve a great deal and you are taking friendly ribbing to another level when you logged into his account and changed his avatar. You clearly lack the ability to empathize and probably don't understand why you should apologize, but you really are being a jerk to this guy.

James Boston
06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I know, very immature high school stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[again v immature, not a big deal,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm seeing a pattern.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, these are not retard friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you've got to tell yourself...

[ QUOTE ]
my mom is mad at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funniest part of the post.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably

Voltron87
i think "steve" needs to grow up a little. what did tbach do, change the kids avatar on some fantasy baseball site? please. i just ignore these people.

tbach24
Fine, I'll call him in the morning.

Oh and to appease Jake, I'll be sure to get drunk first /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stabn
06-07-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think "steve" needs to grow up a little. what did tbach do, change the kids avatar on some fantasy baseball site? please. i just ignore these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't the first time tbach [censored] with him though. Tbach knows this guy doesn't like being [censored] with, and he should respect that.

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
i think continuing to make fun of the kid is out of line, but theres nothing tbach did that warrants an apology.

Homer
06-07-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh and to appease Jake, I'll be sure to get drunk first /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call unless you actually think you should apologize, which you don't. So don't call.

Voltron87
06-07-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call unless you actually think you should apologize, which you don't. So don't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

homer= right.

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 09:16 PM
It isn't Homer. It's Dead.

wacki
06-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Should I call him? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

My brother had a friend in HS we'll call him /images/graemlins/heart.gif<font color="red">"Steve." </font> /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I didn't feel comfortable talking to him. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

used to call him by names other than his own

very immature high school stuff. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

he was very nice /images/graemlins/heart.gif

bothers me a lot (I don't know why) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Why isn't there a pooper comment in this thread?

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
The name Steve actually comes from what we all have taken to calling him. At their high school they were all friends with a deaf kid named Steve and sometimes (as part of the teasing culture) they would gimmick him. The kid from my OP took it to another level by calling everyone (his mother included) Steve.

SpearsBritney
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why isn't there a pooper comment in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

we're too afraid now

[censored]
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
So this guy is nice to you and helps you out. Some (perhaps small) things seem to really bother him so you continue to do them until he basically cuts off communication with you. That not being enough for you, you decide to use his password and hack into on of his forum accounts because you didn't like his avatar.

It sounds like you need to think about what being a friend is. You don't seem sorry so I don't think you should apologize.

You and others are hung up on whether he is over reacting. Perhaps he is but the bottom line is the guy helps you out and you choose to do everything possible to give him a hard time, even though you know it bothered him a great deal.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
i have a friend who people constantly make fun of and he takes it in good stride but i could tell he really doesn't like it at all, and i've pointed this out to several people in private but they still [censored] with him anyways but he doesn't have the heart to tell them to their face he's not happy. now some may say he's a "whiny b!tch" or whatever but thats not the point. these guys are his friends, but they don't act like it, which is a real jerk thing to do.

some people can take jokes, some can't. but if you keep on messing with someone who is your friend and you know can't take a joke, you're being a big [censored] douche.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 09:29 PM
You're right. I now feel bad. Broodle.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-07-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a really lame argument. obviously these little "nothing" things mean a good deal to this friend. just because it's not a big deal for you it doesn't give you the right to mess with something that means a big deal to him.

gorie
06-07-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no reason to continue with "jerkish" behavior even if it has playful intentions, when clearly the person you are doing it to is genuinely bothered by it.

the whole "deal with it" reaction, shows absolutely no value for the friendship, it is selfish and lame. whether or not you think they should be offended by it is irrelevant after it is already established by them that they are. to continue on with it just for your own amusement is just clearly being a jerk, if you actually care about keeping friends.

he might be sensitive, but just accept you can't mess around with him as easily as you can with other friends. i don't like to constantly be picked on by "friends" either. i've had someone tell me to "deal with it" before after asking them to stop doing something rude, and chose to just stop being friends with them. i see no reason to stay friends with people who have no concern for my feelings - but that's me.

this is of course is assuming he acts pretty decent towards you.

i would apologize and try to be less of a jerk. it can't hurt.

-Skeme-
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't apologize, I'd just stop being a dick. Edit: Good post above by my good pal Gorie.

1800GAMBLER
06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
I really wish CliffNotes saved me from that.

mmbt0ne
06-07-2005, 11:05 PM
CDC is a smart man.

Trust me, it sucks a lot to be the friend everyone else makes fun of. Regardless of how well you think they are taking it.

cnfuzzd
06-07-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have a friend who people constantly make fun of and he takes it in good stride but i could tell he really doesn't like it at all, and i've pointed this out to several people in private but they still [censored] with him anyways but he doesn't have the heart to tell them to their face he's not happy. now some may say he's a "whiny b!tch" or whatever but thats not the point. these guys are his friends, but they don't act like it, which is a real jerk thing to do.

some people can take jokes, some can't. but if you keep on messing with someone who is your friend and you know can't take a joke, you're being a big [censored] douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

i will never call evan a midget again, i feel so bad now. The little guy didnt cry did he?

peace

john nickle

fluxrad
06-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Bottom line, you're a douchebag.

I praise jesus every day I'm no longer &lt; 20.

Eurotrash
06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but have you seen Billy Madison?

You wouldn't want to end up on this kid's "People to Kill" list, would you?

Mr. Zero
06-07-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and now my mom is mad at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Awesome.

JDErickson
06-08-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DavidC
06-08-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My brother had a friend in HS we'll call him "Steve." Anyways, we became pretty good friends because we both played poker and liked sports. I wouldn't say he was that good of a friend because I didn't feel comfortable talking to him.

Anyways, people make fun of him over certain things he does and he never took that great of offense, although sometimes he'd get mad.

As an example, we used to call him by names other than his own and he'd say "that's not my name" and so we started to say "that's not my name" in a nasal voice. Yes I know, very immature high school stuff. Well there were a bunch of things like that (maybe 3-4).

Fast forward to this year, he was very nice and helped me prepare for high school next year (prepping me on interview etc.) and helped me with poker.

Towards the end of the year I would start to needle him about how lucky he was (he had been very lucky in poker and fantasy baseball). He would pass it off as nothing at first, but towards the end he got mad and blocked me. He has this avatar in our baseball league that bothers me a lot (I don't know why), and I know his pword because he gave it to my bro for stat tracker. I changed his avatar to look like an asian (one of the things we make fun of him for is he likes asian girls[again v immature, not a big deal, but he gets mad]). He got VERY upset, called my brother and complained, made a post in the league about it, and now my mom is mad at me.

BTW, these are not retard friends. Although you could never tell lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice is just to continue through life on your current path, then post a response to this when you turn 25.

It will absolutely amaze you.

--Dave.

Michael Davis
06-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Just turn on "Hands Down" and find someone else to love.

-Michael

GuyOnTilt
06-08-2005, 06:38 AM
My advice: Grow. The [censored]. Up.

Seriously, I knew people in high school who were exactly like you describe you and your group of friends. It sounds like you know this is all very immature and dumb, so why do you keep doing it? Start being more mature and looking out for your friends and acquaintances and being nice (I know, how uncool) to them instead of being a douche.

GoT

thatpfunk
06-08-2005, 06:51 AM
You don't make fun of your friends? Come on.

asofel
06-08-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't make fun of your friends? Come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big difference between [censored] around with your friends, giving them a hard time about stupid [censored] they do, and repeatedly going after a kid that doesn't like that kind of interaction. I joke around with my friends all the time, but I don't have one friend we all pick on relentlessly. That [censored] thankfully died out in highschool.

meep_42
06-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Was I the only one who opened this up thinking Tbach was getting a boyfriend?

-d

Dead
06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Nope.

It would help if he got some social skills as well.

I still think he has Asperger's.

poker-penguin
06-08-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Jake.

Um, since you're 12, claiming to be 17, I wouldn't advise getting drunk.

Just suck it up, call him, and apologise, even if you don't mean it.

Then get used to the feeling, because you'll be doing it a lot as you become an adult.

Sheepscot
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was I the only one who opened this up thinking Tbach was getting a boyfriend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he starts talking about Steve /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jakethebake
06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It would help if he got some social skills as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, the irony.

ToneLoc
06-08-2005, 11:25 AM
tbach, you know you have to be 18 to play poker for money, right?

bd8802
06-08-2005, 11:25 AM
just ask him out already ... but do not let him know you like john mayer.

gamblore99
06-08-2005, 12:46 PM
From what I gather, he has helped you, and you have returned his kindness with insults and harassment. Apologize. And make it nice.