PDA

View Full Version : setting up wireless internet connection

lighterjobs
06-07-2005, 08:34 PM
is this very easy? i've had a router sitting around for a couple months but haven't had time to get someone to install it for me (i'm computer illiterate). fwiw, it's this one (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544).

rmarotti
06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
just plug your modem into your router. There ought to be a quick start guide witht he router

Anders_G
06-08-2005, 09:14 AM
new laptops often have built in wireless LAN but stationary computers dont. you need to get yourself a Wireless-LAN-card or Wireless-LAN-USB-adapter for your computer.

I'd recomment that you ask a friend/similar to help you.

jakethebake
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Yes, it's very easy. I've done it twice. And my standard response to posts here from computer geeks is "i have no idea what you're talking about."

jnalpak
06-08-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is this very easy? i've had a router sitting around for a couple months but haven't had time to get someone to install it for me (i'm computer illiterate). fwiw, it's this one (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544).

[/ QUOTE ]

very simple (from a cable modem standpoint):
1)shut your PC/Laptop off
2)shut your cable modem off
3)wait 5min for the mac address to reset itself on the cable modem
4)while waiting set your router up but do not plug in the power. Connect the cable modem's RJ45 cable (the "internet cable") into the WAN jack. Connect the other cables into your other PC's if thats what you want to do.
5)Turn the cable modem on and wait 2 min for it to set itself up correctly
6)Turn the ROUTER on. Wait another 2 minutes.
7)Now turn your PC or Laptop on
8)for the inital setup you will need a RJ45 connection as wireless is sometimes buggy b/f you set it up
9)open up IE and enter the address they tell you to access the router and then enter the password (no username)

There is more advanced tweaking you can apply but thats the linksys router setup in a nutshell.

recommended changes:
1)change SSID from linksys to something else
2)HIDE SSID
3)add WPA key encryption

IF YOU DO MAKE CHANGES MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT ALL OF THIS. THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THEN FORGETTING YOUR PASSWORDS AND HAVING TO DO THIS ALLLLLL OVVVVEEERRRR AGAIN.

hope it helps

vulturesrow
06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1)change SSID from linksys to something else
2)HIDE SSID
3)add WPA key encryption

[/ QUOTE ]

This cannot be emphasized enough. I could cancel my internet service right now and be able to surf the internet at will due to the number of my neighbors (I live in a condo/townhouse) that have unsecured wireless networks.