PDA

View Full Version : Jacks strike again

slupo
06-07-2005, 07:46 PM
2-5 NLHE

Me - $250
Big Stack - $1700

Big stack seems like a tight aggressive player. Won some big pots with the nuts.

I'm in the small blind.

Big stack in early position, calls.
Fold to me.
I raise to $25 with Jacks
Everyone folds.
Big stack calls.

Flop ($55) - 9 7 4 (rainbow)

I lead for $50.

Big stack thinks. Then says "I'm either way ahead or way behind." He goes all in.

My play so far? My next move?

autobet
06-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Your play so far is perfect.

You should probably call here. The money is not deep and you have a good shot to have the best hand.

I mucked Jacks in a similar situation a month ago on a nine high flop. I still feel I made the wrong decison whowever the hand would have turned out.

Jester999
06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not saying you shouldn't call here, but what kind of hand could the player you described have have that connected with that flop? I mean maybe he's got a middle pair and puts you on overs, but it really seems like he's trying to talk you into a call with your overpair.

Hope it worked out.

BigEndian
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
If the player/game is capable of a blatant act like that, then I fold quickly. In the heat of the game I might call given the size of the pot vs. your stack.

But sitting here thinking about it I'd put the player on a pocket pair that whiffed (88/TT if TAG), a pair that spiked (77/99 if TAG) a rare overpair like KK/AA or rarely something creative like T9s if he didn't realize you were mid-stacked or he just felt like gambling with a deep stack. About a 50/50 shot based on card math. You can find better spots to get your chips in if you feel the prospects are that dubious.

- Jim

phil_ivey_fan
06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I put him on a lower pair (that missed) or TP.

Jester999
06-07-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put him on a lower pair (that missed) or TP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy is tight, it's hard for me to put him on 10 9 suited. Maybe he's limping with A9 suited, but then why is he talking? And if it's a middle pair that whiffed (which I admit has some possiblity) I still don't understnad the talking. It really seems like he's goading our hero.....

slupo
06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Well I thought for awhile. I was really confused by what he said. I know I should just ignore it, but I was thinking about it.

In the end I feared a bigger overpair and not a set. I don't think he would've said anything with a set nor gone all in. So all I had to worry about was AA, KK or QQ. I didn't think he would just call preflop with any of those. I talked myself into calling by saying he had TT.

When I called he turned up Jacks and we chopped.

He was surprised. "Never thought you'd call with that hand."