PDA

View Full Version : Easy Question?

Zeno
01-05-2003, 02:37 AM
Can Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor be played on a harmonica?

Or should the question be:

Can Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor be played on an harmonica?

I'm confused /forums/images/icons/confused.gif .

If John Cole correctly answers this question, I will join Ray Zee in his lawsuit.

-Zeno

John Cole
01-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Zeno,

Perhaps the question should be "Should Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor be played on a harmonica?"

Simply, use "a" when the word that follows begins with a consonant sound; use "an" when the word that follows begins with a vowel sound. I can't think of a word that begins with a consonant that has a vowel sound right now, but such a word would take "an."

The "h" always gives people trouble. Certain "h" words pronounce the "h," "harmonica," for instance, and others, such as "hour," drop the "h." I'd say use whichever article you feel the most comfortable with and don't worry about it. I'd use "a harmonica."

John

scalf
01-05-2003, 09:37 AM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif the correct answer...may.blah,blah,blah...a harmonica...?

by the way john..is the capital of kentucky louisville or lexington...lol..?

cya mr horizontal....lol...gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

MMMMMM
01-05-2003, 10:05 AM
My understanding of the "h" issue is this: when the "h" is silent, use "an", which is in keeping with the principle of using "an" in front of words beginning with vowel sounds.

Example: the "h" in "hour" is silent, so we speak of "an hour." The "h" in "hug" is not silent, so we speak of "a hug."

The pronunciation of the word "history" in this regard has itself an interesting history (at least, from what I've gathered). "History" apparently used to be pronounced "istory"--that is, with a silent "h." Thus, "an historical event" was commonly and properly used. In more recent years, however, the pronunciation of "history" has shifted somewhat to the more audible "h"--thus the oddity and awkwardness.

So the question for scalf might be: do you pronounce the "h" when saying "harmonica"? ;-)

John Cole
01-05-2003, 09:27 PM
M,

Many people still write "an historic event"; I think, though, it's somewhat pretentious.

John

John Cole
01-05-2003, 09:30 PM
scalf,

If I were Larry Adler, then I'd say, "May I play Bach on my harmonica?"

John

MMMMMM
01-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I've thought it was a carryover--and somewhat pretentious, too, although quite a few probably do it just because it's what they've so often seen.

I agree that what sounds right, usually is right (unless one happens to be tone-deaf;-))--that's probably the best general guideline for writing English or music--isn't it?

Ray Zee
01-05-2003, 10:18 PM
you may have left out acronyms and initialisms in your explanation and may have made a mistake. or may not have as i never really get what you are doing as its way over my head. you should use 'a' with a consonant sound or with any aspirated 'h' or with any 'u' i think, as far as those things go.

Zeno
01-06-2003, 01:14 AM
"acronyms" "initialisms" "aspirated" /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Ray,

You are dangerously close to sounding like John Cole and his ilk. Watch out for that counter lawsuit.

"I was never ruined but twice: once when I lost a lawsuit, and once when I won one." - Voltaire

-Zeno

Zeno
01-06-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks John. I actually asked a similar question of an editor (regarding the a or an use with history) and she replied - "what sounds best to your ear." She assumed I had a good ear for word sense and tone or else that was just her pat answer. "a harmonica" sounds right to me also.

As an aside, Ray Zee would certainly try to play Bach on a harmonica - probably under some dark, star-splattered Montana sky with a blazing campfire as a backdrop, and sheep ba-ba-baaaing in accompaniment. Now, THAT IS worth a lawsuit.

-Zeno

John Cole
01-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Ray,

That's why I mentioned the sound of the following word rather than the initial letter. So, you'd have "an NRA supporter" but "a NASA engineer."

John

scalf
01-06-2003, 08:48 AM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif lexington or louisville, john???,,lo /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif l

John Cole
01-06-2003, 09:14 AM
Frankfort! ???

MMMMMM
01-06-2003, 10:46 AM
With every post, John, you just dig for yourself a deeper hole in that upcoming lawsuit. The evidence is overwhelming.

John Cole
01-06-2003, 05:05 PM
M,

I intend to call you and Vince as witnesses. You guys can vouch for my inherent blandness. Case dismissed!

John

HDPM
01-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeah, if I have to depose Vince I will have to charge z 75%. Then again, I would schedule it in Las Vegas and z would have to pay for my travel, so a 3 or 4 day deposition (well, a 1.5 day deposition strung out over 3 or 4 days)of Vince might not be all bad. And at night Vince would be made ill watching me botch 15-30 hands. That might break him down.

Ray Zee
01-06-2003, 09:53 PM
HDPM, i went out on a limb and complimented you by wanting your expertise by representing me for contingincy fee. you turn around and with each post, and try to gouge me for a higher percentage.

may the worthless mutt you have pee on your rug and chew your hunting boots.

HDPM
01-06-2003, 11:47 PM
He already puked on the white carpet twice in the last week. We're moving to a new house and have to get someone in to clean the carpet while the house is full of boxes, etc... So maybe he is listening to you. If so, I'll have to gouge you on expenses and copy charges too. I don't think I can ethically go over 75%.