PDA

View Full Version : Do you even bother to block this river?

kongo_totte
06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Villian is 21/4 after 70 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($48.25)
SB ($50.27)
Hero ($56.35)
UTG ($52.43)
MP1 ($5.2)
MP2 ($100.95)
CO ($51.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $2.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, CO calls $5.

Turn: ($16.75) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, CO calls $11.

River: ($38.75) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>

TheWorstPlayer
06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Any bet commits you. I would rather check and hope he bets small or checks behind. I don't want to commit my stack on that board if possible. Most people don't bluff here, despite it being an obviously good move.

kongo_totte
06-07-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any bet commits you. I would rather check and hope he bets small or checks behind. I don't want to commit my stack on that board if possible. Most people don't bluff here, despite it being an obviously good move.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying I should call a push after my $12 bet?

Los Feliz Slim
06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I check/call the river, but I'm much happier checking the river if I pot it on the turn.

TheWorstPlayer
06-07-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying I should call a push after my $12 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you're getting pretty good odds now...

KKrAAAzy88s
06-07-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check/call the river, but I'm much happier checking the river if I pot it on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain further why you'd be happier if you had pot the turn? Is it because if you pot it, then you know that he probably has a hand that he really likes and he's not going to let go of?

amoeba
06-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I believe he is blocking, just one street earlier.

villain is very unlikely to bluff the river if he called a pot sized turn bet.

Los Feliz Slim
06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain further why you'd be happier if you had pot the turn? Is it because if you pot it, then you know that he probably has a hand that he really likes and he's not going to let go of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think by potting the turn I'm indicating that I have a hand that I like and am not likely to lay it down, which makes it easier for me to fold if I check the river and he makes a big bet. The problem with checking the river is that your check could be perceived as weakness (which of course can still be the case), but I think it makes it harder/less likely for Villain to bluff the river if I'm stronger on the turn.

TheWorstPlayer
06-07-2005, 07:34 PM
If you pot the turn, you are pretty committed unless you just want to c/f the river. But if you're going to c/f the river when called, why pot the turn in the first place?

Los Feliz Slim
06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I was thinking that if we're folding to a big bet after a check on the river, which I think we are, I'd feel better/more confident about it being a good laydown if I'm stronger on the turn.

Would you follow OP's line except for the river bet?

TheWorstPlayer
06-07-2005, 08:15 PM
I doubt it. But I'm not sure. I'm definitely raising more preflop. With two limpers, I might even raise it to $4 or something preflop some of the time to make it look like a steal out of the blinds. But I'm usually making it $3. And then I'm betting the full pot on the flop. And then I'm probably betting 2/3 pot on the turn and rest on the river no matter what. But it really depends on the opponent and on what mode I have been playing in. I'm usually in LAG mode, though, so I expect to get paid off a lot. (Also, I'm at work, so I can't quite work out the stack sizes, so I might be off on my estimates.)

kongo_totte
06-07-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt it. But I'm not sure. I'm definitely raising more preflop. With two limpers, I might even raise it to $4 or something preflop some of the time to make it look like a steal out of the blinds. But I'm usually making it $3. And then I'm betting the full pot on the flop. And then I'm probably betting 2/3 pot on the turn and rest on the river no matter what. But it really depends on the opponent and on what mode I have been playing in. I'm usually in LAG mode, though, so I expect to get paid off a lot. (Also, I'm at work, so I can't quite work out the stack sizes, so I might be off on my estimates.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I donīt mean to be picky, but I did make it $3 pre-flop. The converter f***ed up.

On the river, he pushed and I folded. Is it horrible?

TheWorstPlayer
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
It's probably not horrible, but your bets are all a little small which might induce a bluff and your odds on the river are pretty good. He most likely has you beat here. But is it often enough to justify a fold? I don't know.