PDA

View Full Version : My bust out hand in WSOP Event 3 & semi-tourney report

usmfan
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Here it is. I'm not too mad at myself as I needed to make a move but not sure this was the place.

We had recently started Round 5 (100/200). My stack was at 2475 after cracking AA of player to my direct left and tripling up via him and Villain in the following hand. AA won a side pot since I was at 825 when I pushed. Anyway, Villain is one of two big stacks. The other is Doug Lee who had doubled up through Ted Forrest earlier. Lee has been reticent to get involved with the Villain since Villain sat down about 30 minutes ago.

Villain is UTG with probably 20k in chips. I'm UTG+1 with 2475. Lee is not at the table at the time but he is the button. CO has been willing to see flops and is a little loose. MP2 is shortstacked with ~1600. The table had been bullied by Lee and Villain pretty much the whole time.

Villain pots it to 600 (blinds 100/200). I look down and find 2 red Jacks. I would say that my image at the table is fairly conservative as I hadn't played many hands since my arrival about 2 hours before. I decide that I need chips as I'm going to be at 10BB here soon. Snapping off the bully with a real hand sounds as good as any.

I raise 1200. So the pot is now 2700.
Fold, Fold, Fold, shortie calls all-in for about 1600.
Pot is now 4300.
Folded to Villain who calls (no brainer since he's now getting 3.5 to 1 on his money).
An A comes on the flop and Villain raises me all-in.
I call for my last 675. I'm getting 8 to 1 plus I'm crippled if I fold anyway. If I spike a J, I triple up.
Turn is a K, making a set of Kings for the shortie.

River is a blank and I'm out. Villain had paired his AQs on the flop. I'm not really sure why he didn't just put me all in before the flop. I had pot committed myself.

I steamed that afternoon a little bit but overall, I was happy with my tourney play. I had a huge rush of cards during the first two rounds but I could never get any action. AA, KK (2), JJ, a couple of flopped sets. The standard post flop bet was the pot and there were usually takers. I just couldn't get any bites on my good hands. I peaked about 1800 before my suckout later.

Appreciate thoughts on the hand above.

betgo
06-07-2005, 05:59 PM
You had to play pretty much as you did. You just got a bad flop.

I would have just reraised allin preflop.

durron597
06-07-2005, 06:01 PM
I would repot it but it doesn't matter the result is the same.

11t
06-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Yah I think you have to push preflop when the short stack got involved.

usmfan
06-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Let me give my reasoning for just raising to 1200 instead of potting it. I wanted my raise to look like someone seeking a call. To pot it, leaves me 375 and has the same effect as an all-in to anyone viewing my push in a NL context. In fact, I didn't really mind a call from the Villain as my range on him was a lower pair of 2 overcards. I didn't see him betting the pot with AA, KK, or QQ. Therefore, I was ahead and would take a coinflip against two overs in hope of doubling up. However, I would also be happy with the the 1200 if everyone let go of their hands. I really expected him to put me all in preflop by Villain.