PDA

View Full Version : Raising in Small Blind (with you and BB)

2+2 wannabe
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm having a super hard time playing heads-up from the small blind against the BB - what hands should be completed/raised from the small blind when heads-up with the BB?

DeathDonkey
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
This completely depends on who the BB is. I'm sorry that's not helpful but if he folds too much, raise any 2 and bet the flop. If he calls with everything raise your best 60% or so and fold the rest. If he is real passive you could probably even complete with alot of your crappy hands and bet most flops.

I do think people play too many of these situations in general. Its ok to just fold a real stinky hand and move on.

-DeathDonkey

2+2 wannabe
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This completely depends on who the BB is. I'm sorry that's not helpful but if he folds too much, raise any 2 and bet the flop. If he calls with everything raise your best 60% or so and fold the rest. If he is real passive you could probably even complete with alot of your crappy hands and bet most flops.

I do think people play too many of these situations in general. Its ok to just fold a real stinky hand and move on.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm sure i play them too often - it's just when i get a hand like k9 or q10 or 66 i have no clue what to do. and i never know when to fire the turn after getting called on the flop. is there any reading/threads about it? i can't find any...

Deamon2
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I get very aggressive HU, because I find that most players will play their cards like they're playing against a full field. HEPFAP has a great section on short handed play if you have it

2+2 wannabe
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get very aggressive HU, because I find that most players will play their cards like they're playing against a full field. HEPFAP has a great section on short handed play if you have it

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah! i forgot - thanks

jba
06-07-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a super hard time playing heads-up from the small blind against the BB - what hands should be completed/raised from the small blind when heads-up with the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously if you're playing micros and it folds to the blinds, your table is clearly broken and you should have it replaced ASAP.

to actually answer your question you want to play a lot of hands. if we're playing 2/4 here you're risking $3 to win $3, so if the BB folds more than 1/2 the time you're making money on the blind steal -- if his bb defense is 25% raising any two until he catches on is definitely EV+. If his bb defense is 75% you should obviously be much more selective.

rarely fold in this situation -- playing any two is not a huge mistake getting 3:1 on your call. i believe HEPFAP advocates completing half the time and raising half the time. The headsup and short handed info in that book is good. the HUSH forums here are also your friend.

LoaferGee12
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm sure i play them too often - it's just when i get a hand like k9 or q10 or 66 i have no clue what to do. and i never know when to fire the turn after getting called on the flop. is there any reading/threads about it? i can't find any...

[/ QUOTE ]

All those hands are auto-raise for me. As for whether or not to fire on the turn, it depends on the texture of the board as well as your opponent.